Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • So I Rode my bike into a canal
  • mattyfez

Like literally, lol, turns out my back tyre punctured, but it was slow and I half realised I was wobbling but didn’t put two and two together until splosh!

Just wondering, I have an air fork, pretty new so the seals are as good as they could be, anything to be worried about as the bike spent a good 30 seconds to a minute under water! They seem ok.

Thanks

mechanicaldope

Lol. I did that fairly recently too! Didn’t have a puncture to blame it on mind… I took the approach that if there was something wrong I couldn’t afford to fix it anyway so largely tried to block it out my mind. Bit of fresh oil and grease. Has seemed ok so far unless it is storing up problems for me.

theotherjonv

How far under did it go? Water under pressure will force its way past dust seals more readily than just getting it wet would. To be fair; the depth of a canal probably won’t make a big difference.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Day one of owning (buying parts and building) dynamo hub i took it for a 5am ride around the dunes of kinshaldy beach following the nice hardpacked sand path took me dtraight into a 3 foot deep lagoon of salty goodness.

By the time i’d realised the hubs had been rolling a plenty.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Like literally?

disco_stu
    Free Member

My bike took a dip in the canal recently, I braked to avoid running over some pigeons and the wet brickwork on the Birmingham canal network combined with marathon tyres caused the front wheel to slide from under me.
    Bike ended up in the canal with just the saddle sticking out and me sprawled on the towpath, I managed to get the bike out before it succumbed to the darkness of the canal.

globalti
    Free Member

You will need to strip and re-grease the wheel bearings and the BB and headset bearings too. The bike meeds a complete strip-down. Don’t worry about the forks though as water won’t have got past the seals.

RustySpanner

Just wondering, I have an air fork…

Pike, by any chance?

Sorry.

mattyfez

This particular canal was about 5-6 foot deep, both me and the bike got a proper dunking haha! Hubs and crank seem fine and are well greased.

mattyfez

Pike, by any chance?

Sorry.

It’s the new RS fork, the pilchard! Lol

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’ll be fine as long as it’s got “lock out”. Whacka whacka whacka.

mechanicaldope

@ disco_stu

Not the fazley by any chance?

mattyfez

Oooph…

I think I’m riding with too much damping, there’s water everywhere.

twisty

Make sure you get all the water out of the frame. Remove the bb cable guide if you have one, or drill a little hole in the bottom of the BB.

LeeW

Pike, by any chance?

Sorry

Haha, that was a gudgeon!

rOcKeTdOg

I’d be more worried about http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Leptospirosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx canals are well known for it

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

One day I’m gonna go in the cancel too, I ride prime target areas for the Yorkshire dipper , that and the towpath under bridges is far too narrow for two bikes,

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother regressing anything.

Well ok I can’t say for certain but years back I remember riding off a pier on Coniston Water a few times and it never harmed the bike. That was in the days before suspension though

seadog101

My bike gets a deliberate dunking before I get home to clean of the worst of the mud. There’s a handy deep spot on the river bank I use when I’ve ridden that way.

Doesn’t seem to bother anything. Plenty of hosing down and Gt85.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Salty.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

In before Zika virus and Weil’s Disease. 😉

disco_stu
    Free Member

mechanicaldope – Member
    @ disco_stu

Not the fazley by any chance?

It was Birmingham Worcester canal just by the University

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘So I Rode my bike into a canal’ is closed to new replies.