Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • So, I need to put a dining table on my car roof…
  • Daffy

It’ll be done using rails, crossbars and ratchet straps, but what to use as packing/friction/protection material between the bars and the table?

Any ideas?

M.

nealglover
    Free Member

Pipe insulation.

stumpyjon

Old towels?

matt_outandabout

^that

nickjb
    Free Member

Blanket

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Table cloth.

Daffy

Won’t old towels/blanket/tablecloth just slide about?

How grippy is pipe insulation? I suppose once it’s a little compressed, it should be okay?

project
    Free Member

make sure you secure table front to back as most stuff slides off during braking, and a weird sensation to see something continue on in a straight line at 30 mph,when you brake and then you realise it was the stuff on the roof.

Great game in an empty car park to see how far you can eject stuff not tied on under heavy braking.

Daffy

project – Member
    make sure you secure table front to back as most stuff slides off during braking, and a weird sensation to see something continue on in a straight line at 30 mph,when you brake and then you realise it was the stuff on the roof.

It’ll be secured using 4 ratchets, 2 side2side and 2 front2back.

finishthat
    Free Member

possibly you might have some old inner tubes you could slit and wrap the roof bars?
    Unless you have gone tubless..

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Of you have gone tubeless then pain everything with latex obviously! 🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

zip tie pipe insulation to the rails. If you’re worried about the zip ties rubbing against the table duct tape over them.

nealglover
    Free Member

How grippy is pipe insulation? I suppose once it’s a little compressed, it should be okay?

It doesn’t really need to be grippy if you tie the load down properly.

cloudnine
    Free Member

How will you get the chairs under the table without scratching the paint?? Why do you want to sit up on the roof to eat?? All sounds a bit precarious. Why not just take a picnic blanket and hamper?

Cougar

If it’s secured it won’t slide about.

If it’s sliding about, it’s not secured.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cougar +1

Done a few things like that and they were fine, pipe insulation is a good call, some old towels to go under the straps on the table to protect the table too.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘So, I need to put a dining table on my car roof…’ is closed to new replies.