Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • So I need to lose weight. Its abit like quitting fags
  • hora
    Free Member

blood pressure and heart rate tested recently. 148/101 and 52 bpm. Crackers, Im stressed like crazy due to the new arrival however I really do need to lose circa 9kg. I've known that for a while. Anyway, I've adjusted my eating habits back to normal and……..its hard, every second I am thinking about food. Reminds me of the exact same feeling I had when I quit smoking years ago.

Its eekingly painful isn't it?

soobalias
    Free Member

ive just had a sausage and bacon baguette a cuppa and a rollie.

bp – low, bmi – low
    smug levels – high

hora
    Free Member

SOOBalias- I hate you. Last Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon I had a fry up at home. Now I have to suffer 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have lost over 16lbs since xmas.It has taken an enormous amount of willpower.

Not really cut anything out just cut down on quantities and avoided the between meals snacks,and substituted chocolate and crisps for fruit.

Cut down on bread too.

For me the snacking was a boredom thing.Keep yourself busy and the snack urges subside.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

ive just had a sausage and bacon baguette a cuppa and a rollie.

bp – low, bmi – low
    smug levels – high

Chances of dying form lung cancer and or smoking related diseases – high.

robdob
    Free Member

9kg? Bah.

I need to lose 3 stone really (ideal weight says I need to lose 4.5 stone but I don't think that's realistic)

I just love food and every bike ride is painful because of my knackered neck/back/arm. Did 14 miles on the road last night though (holme valley so BIG hills).

I'm finding it so difficult, especially as I now work in an office, back breaking manual labour did help in my previous work!!

I do feel down about it as it's just so difficult. I am a sprinter so the longer rides just kill me. I went out on a short road ride with a very fit road rider recently and he couldn't stay anywhere near me in sprint sections but give me a long MTB ride (eg peaks pootle recently) and I'm dying.

binners

Stop your whining you fat git 🙂

ton

i eat porridge for breakfast now all the time……………..lush 😥

soobalias
    Free Member

genetically im most likely to go from heart problems, but cancer is a very close second.

lifes too short. I nearly bought it head on with a car on my commute yesterday (entirely my fault, cornered too fast got thrown off line by a new pothole…..)

you wouldnt believe that i earn a decent wage as a motivational speaker, would you!

hora
    Free Member

ton, thats what I had for breakfast (Goats milk). I normally have 6 slices of seeded toast with Nutella spread out through the morning. I know I know.

I'm currently 98.8kg's. I reckon 90kg would be a great compromise.

Pook

Filling stuff. Pasta and the like.

vorsprung
    Free Member

Yes, getting used to that "hungry feeling" is a bit of a drag

It would be more of a drag to still weigh over 80kg for the long, hilly event I'm doing in the summer though

robdob
    Free Member

Hora, do you really weigh that much? It doesn't look like it tbh. (and no, I'm not angling for a date 😉

Looks like I weigh 98.4kg or 217lbs. Mind you I am only 5'7". :-/

wormhole

9 days ago i joined the wife for support to help her loose a few pounds before she has to put "that" dress on for a mates wedding. we have cut out carbs, no bread, pasta, tatties etc just lean white meat and fish with plenty of fruit and veg. NO snacking only red wine to drink (in moderation)
    so far have lost 1.5Kg, she is even better, but had more to loose!!
    Not easy for me as I like a pint and whiskey or two, and would kill for a nice bit of white bread/toast.
    but i am very surprised and pleased with it so far. only intend to keep going till the weekend tho.

hora
    Free Member

robdob, sadly yes. I was 90kg's until the turn of this year!

You are 98.4/5'7? Dude. You need to drop some weight as well! You'll be a rocket on the climbs. Think about it, you'll have the leg strength but you'll drop a rucksack full of dumbells.

robdob
    Free Member

Hora – 😀

Thanks, that does make me feel a load better!

When I was at uni I rode BMX EVERY DAY and I looked like a skeleton, recently saw a pic of me at that time and tbh it scared the living daylights out of me. Mainly because I have a huge head like my bro and I looked like a Chupa Chup lolly.

In the last 2 years I have had loads of blood tests and other stuff to diagnose something and I am in perfect health (other than my neck) and also have perfect vision, so it's not all bad!!!

I also have a full, luscious, thick head of hair. 🙂

tron
    Free Member

A few big things I've found to help.

1) Get the wife / whoever you live with in on it with you. It's a lot easier to not eat rubbish if your house isn't full of chocolate digestives.

2) Worst thing people ever do is announce "I'm giving up food / fags / beer" and the first topic of conversation anyone ever has with you is the thing you're giving up. Just eat less and do it on the quiet.

3) Take packed lunches to work. Big packed lunches. Have something like a two finger kitkat or a packet of skips so you don't feel totally short changed (both approx 100kcal – mmm. Kitkat or Special K bar, not a hard choice). Or some of last night's dinner to nuke.

4) Pack up drinking as much as you can. It's a really easy way to cut calorie intake without really noticing it in the form of hunger.

I'd also stop worrying about the sprog. They arrive, eat, shit and sleep, and really couldn't give a monkeys about what colour the "nursery" walls are, what toys they have and whether you're using disposable nappies or not. Main thing is not to drop them on their heads.

hora
    Free Member

tron on point 1) mrshora has a sweet tooth but I always end up eating it.

4)- Totally agree. I started drinking EVERY night. Not great amounts but enough.

Robdob, seriously you also need to drop some weight. I'm 6ft1.5 and I dont like the 98.6kg/blood pressure reading one bit.

tron
    Free Member

Another point I should have chucked in is to read the labels on everything. Most pre-packed & takeaway currys are pretty bad, but a lot of curry sauces in jars are pretty low in fat and tasty (some of Mr Grosman's ones for example), so you can have a healthy meal without denying yourself or starting cooking dinner 2 hours in advance.

If you do that you can eat a fairly normal diet, avoiding the horrors of diet foods and still lose weight.

robdob
    Free Member

Yeah I know…… but remember Peterpoddy (my brother) seems to be built for efficient aerodynamics and natural padding and whips up climbs like a spanked rat.

Everyone I know who is into cycling and has had kids seems to be very good at weight control as they seem to snatch opportunities to go out on a bike every chance they have, instead of sitting down in front of the TV and scoffing. I think you'll be ok, it's only temporary and as soon as you cut down on the crap the weight will drop off you.

I'm 6ft1.5 and I dont like the 98.6kg/blood pressure reading one bit.

As I said, I've had loads of tests recently and no problems at all, including blood pressure. I just love chocolate!

hora
    Free Member

Thats another of my Nemesis's…takeaway curries. Will do. My curries are actually quite nice 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

3/4 stone gone since xmas, 12 and a bit now at 5' 10".

Have started going to the gymn a bit more but mainly it's down to smaller portion sizes for the evening meal and eating a shed load of fruit during the day. Dorset Cereals make for much more interesting breakfasts than porridge.

Swap chocolate bars for dried fruit and nuts, pretty quickly you wont even think about chocolate at all. If you must… have a couple of squares of decent dark choc.

Swap lager for a small spirit (armagnac for me) or wine and no fizzy pop!

Oh, and chew plenty of gum.

donsimon
    Free Member

Was going to suggest a quick fag to keep the hunger pangs at bay!! Maybe not eh?
    I changed my diet dramatically and now eat lots of lentils and beans instead of pasta, rice etc. Also I eat loads of fruit. Lost loads of fat over the last year, feel a lot healthier and my cycling has improved.

nickc

It's a head thing…

Like stopping the fags, you have to get your head in the right place, all this talk of giving up this, and doing without that, instant fail. You're just setting yourself up to drop back into your old habits. You need to get into your head that your not "giving up" your going to "Get rid" of all the stuff that's shit, Drinking? it's shit, fags, they're shit, all that crap food, that's really really shit. You just don't do it any more, and this is the rest of your life, OK? That's not to say you can't have the occasional choccy bar, you can, you just can't have one every day…

Once your head's right, it's a piece of piss, 'cause you want to do it, you look forward to each day, 'cause your not putting shit into your body any more…

tootallpaul

I think I've lost about a stone since February the 1st. Maybe more- won't know until I can weigh myself! 2 holes on the belt though!

When I moved to Ethiopia.

I'm still eating really well, but I eat no processed food now. Just fresh everything.And hardly anything between meals.

Oh yes, and as its been Othodox fasting since I got here so very little meat.

Its a bit of an extreme diet…

hora
    Free Member

It's a head thing…

Totally agree. My blood pressure is alittle high. That motivation enough. **** looking good in a pair of jeans. I really dont want to be driving a motability Ford around in 20yrs time with a gas cylinder in the boot like most of the other over-eaters or smokers in Manchester.

binners

**** looking good in a pair of jeans

As long as you look ok in your leather chaps though eh Hora?

robdob
    Free Member

As long as you look ok in your leather chaps though eh Hora?

Great. Now the next time I meet Hora I'm going to imagine him wearing nothing but leather chaps. That's gonna ruin anyones day…. 😉

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

you obviously have too much money if you're buying all that booze and getting takeaways 🙂

don't buy treats – put the money in a jar and save it for something nice instead (not food related!)
    classic 'if you buy them, you'll want to eat them. and all in one go..'

things that make me feel full:
    thick vegetable soups, lentil curries, porridge (milk and honey), big bowl of quality muesli. I personally hate sandwiches – I get hungry afterwards and that's when all the treats sneak in..

I'm always thinking about food but I'm a normal weight. I think about all the tasty things I could eat and realise I could never fit it all in. I guess I just try tell myself 'it's okay, whatever food you want, you'll be able to eat it tomorrow/next week.' – if that makes sense..

hora
    Free Member

In a leather-clad chap? 😯

Talkemada
    Free Member

Chances of dying form lung cancer and or smoking related diseases – high.

Pomposity level: High. 🙄

Ti29er
    Free Member

I've been losing 1 lb per month since last Jan 01st.
    Then I tend to put on a little over the Sept – Dec period.

Now I no longer drink (01 No 2009) I have found I'm now down to losing 1.2lbs per month, with a target weight of 12:0:0 on Sept 01st. Today I was 12:05:05, down from 12:12 on 01 Jan.

Modest loss, modest aims. Long term (18 months) aims. It's satisfying when it falls away and that keeps me going. Don't eat junk, fried food, never eat bread, no marg', butter, chocolate, no booze, no cake et al, simple and very effective. No eating after 5pm. No take aways (1 a month maybe). Really, is there anything here you don't already know?

hora
    Free Member

Ti29 I dont want to go 'that far'. Cutting out on snacks and mid-week booze is enough for me.

So far today I havent eated 6 slices of Nutellla'd toast or a grab-a-bag of crisps and a chocolate bar.

If I cut out the day long grazing and the booze my metabolism should adjust back'.

13stone for me would be toooo thin let alone 12!

bakey

I lost c2.5 stones two years ago – nearly 13 to just over 10 – and have managed to keep it off.

I'm constantly hungry though.

Lots of good advice here, the main ones being (i) read the labels (have you seen how many calories there are in a Ginsters Buffet Bar!) and, (ii) cook for yourself, from scratch.

binners

Ti29er – That sounds like a prison sentence. You could just summarise it by saying 'under no circumstances allow yourself to get the slightest modicum of enjoyment out of anything that passes your lips. EVER!!! Food is a sin!!! And don't you forget it!!!"

I think I'll stick to be being slightly rotund, and not wanting to take my own life 😀

tron
    Free Member

All that to lose a pound a month? I can quite easily lose a pound a week by making sure I do some midweek exercise as well as my sunday bike ride, and by avoiding eating real rubbish.

No fried food rules out steak for a start, unless you're going to be some kind of gopping Gillian McKeith style pervert and ruin it under the grill.

robdob
    Free Member

binners +1

Talkemada
    Free Member

Ti29er – That sounds like a prison sentence

I think even serial killers get treated better than that! 😯

Simple way to lose weight: Use more calories than you consume.

IE, get off your fat arse and do some exercise.

Cutting down on high-calorie stuff can help, sure, but why make yourself miserable?

robdob
    Free Member

Who put the "will god strike me down?" tag up and what does it have to do with this thread?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

16.5st here, want to get to 14 st but living in hotels and going out for buffet dinners each night is not helping.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘So I need to lose weight. Its abit like quitting fags’ is closed to new replies.