• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • so I need to feed a gear cable thorough a swingearm tomorrow…any pointers?
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Or is it just perseverance???

BlobOnAStick

Think you need a Dr.

Probably Dr Who

BlobOnAStick

Ah. Ninja edit……

Can’t help,soz.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Tape the new cable to the end of the old one with electrical tape before you pull the old one out. Pull the new one through as the old one is removed.

cp

Angle the frame on a bike stand so that the cable will drop under gravity to the side of the swing arm with the hole. Thread the cable so it goes past the exit hole then Use the J bend of a spare spoke to fish for the cable. Once hooked, pull the cable using the spoke so it’s more or less at the hole, then slowly pull the cable back from where it went in, whilst still holding the cable with the spoke. The end of the cable will suddenly appear and then you can tease the end it out of the hole.

Northwind

If it’s got the old cables still in it, use those. What frame is it? Different tricks, some don’t work on all frames. On an Orange, i use string, easy enough but on more complicated designs I can see that not working

chip
    Free Member

I used the above to do my 5.
    Pushed it through swing arm, then pushed the outer onto the end securing with a little tape then pulled it back through.
    Then ran the cable through the outer.

If I had had a wire coat hanger I would have used that, but did not so the dried grass did the job.

tymbian
    Free Member

It’s my son’s Meta 6. He’s just bought it Second hand and the seller didn’t put any string or the likes when he took his cable out. I think using a combination of string, spokes and dried shrubs I’ll be able to sort it.

Thanks for the tips…

jordie
    Free Member

Thin piece of string feed in one end then hoover on the other then suck through.Just tie/tape something on the end then pull through. I pull a gear cable through in reverse then feed the outer in works everytime.

downshep

Pass straightened out wire coat hanger through swingarm, tape cable to wire, pull gently.

globalti
    Free Member

Go to hydraulic supplier and buy a metre of 3.5mm CuNiFer pipe as used in Citroen hydraulic systems. Bend the end a little then thread it through then pass the cable through it.

kayak23

Go to your local hospital and borrow one of them cameras on a bendy stick they use for keyhole surgery. Drive it through with the new cable attached to it, watching where the hole is on your telly.
    May as well give your digestive tract a once over while you have the machine on loan.

JoeG
    Free Member

^ kayak wants the OP to anal probe his bike! 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

Screw a I-bend spoke into the end of the housing. Push it through as far as you can. Then feed in a loop of old gear cable from the other end to hook the spoke and pull it through.

martymac

A magnet can be useful when getting the end out.

chrismac

Hang the bike so the cable drops vertically through the frame

tymbian
    Free Member

Unfortunately the meta 6 has a swingearm with an almost 90 deg. bend in it.

Kayak…I’ve phoned the hospital and ask if they have anything to help me put a wire in the small hole at the front so it protrudes out of the small hole at the back….well they’ve basically advised me against even trying and that if I ignore their warnings and succeed then I’m more than welcome to give their A&E department a call.

Doug
    Free Member

Vacuum cleaner 😉

sic_nick

Vacuum cleaner and some cotton thread.

Jamie
    Free Member

JoeG:

http://www.parktool.com/product/internal-cable-routing-kit-ir-1

Neato!

…from 6mins:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbD1JccFmpo[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1O-_B-sGzM[/video]

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘so I need to feed a gear cable thorough a swingearm tomorrow…any pointers?’ is closed to new replies.