Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • So I might have Tuberculosis
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Chest x-ray, sputum and blood tests done today – with people looking at me seriously.

Does this mean I’m going to have to stop riding for a bit?

Will I die etc? Can I make an excuse by telling my docs that riding is “Fresh Air Treatment” – like what they did in them good ole days?

I jest, mostly. 😀

v8ninety

6 months abx treatment if dormant, 12months if active I think. Doubt it’ll impact on your life too much, but IANAD.

Becoming more common in the uk again it seems. Had a chap with no raised risk factors diagnosed via routine OH procedures for new starters the other day; was quite an eye opener.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah I know, it’s got so bad they’re opening walk in centres in London – I skipped my GP totally – having gone and got 1 week of antibiotics off her, the waiting times to go back and see her were ridiculous. Rang a clinic in Laaahndan, they told me to come and within an hour they’d run all the tests.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Used to live with a guy who had it for around 5-6 years before being diagnosed… made his balls swell up like mangos and him go sterile.. yes apparently it can move around your body and not just stay in your liver… mind you he also had his lungs collapse twice and so other bad stuff happen so it must have been pretty advanced.
    the treatment for him was pretty aggressive and the first few weeks were rough but he is fine now.
    You may be slowed down for a month or so but should be fine in the end…

v8ninety

Shocking. If only there was a vaccine, we could have a program to vaccinate the population at school age. Oh…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Go for the hat trick and contract Polio and Consumption for the full 19th century effect.

v8ninety

TB = consumption. Maybe the gentleman would like to try the malaria? Or a bit of Hepatitis?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I had the BCG vaccine mate. It’s only about 70 to 80 percent effective, but yes it seems that it should be routine – I’ve heard that it is for children born in London. But unfortunately many people move to the London area without getting it.

wwaswas

My Grandma had it as a 5 year old just after WW1.

Both her parents died of ‘flu, the person who was to adopt her brother and her refused to take her because she was ill but went off with her brother. She never saw him again, spent a further year in hospital and then grew up in a children’s home until she went into service at 14.

Whenever I think my life’s a bit tough I think about what she went through and try and Grandma The **** Up.

I can’t help you really OP but it’s mostly treatable these days – just complete the bloody course of drugs so we don;t end up with more resistant TB strains.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

TB = consumption. Maybe the gentleman would like to try the malaria? Or a bit of Hepatitis?

Already had Dengue I reckon.

Malaria, typhoid, polio and plague are next on my bucket list of old school diseases to get.

v8ninety

I had the BCG vaccine mate. It’s only about 70 to 80 percent effective

Ah yes, but if everyone you had ever met (or got coughed on by) had had it too…

Sorry to hear it bud. It’s bad luck. Hopefully it’s been caught early and you’ll be back to full Tomness soon.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah.

I can blame this on anti-vaxxers then. Who can I sue? 😀

Cheers though.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Both her parents died of ‘flu, the person who was to adopt her brother and her refused to take her because she was ill but went off with her brother. She never saw him again, spent a further year in hospital and then grew up in a children’s home until she went into service at 14.

Whenever I think my life’s a bit tough I think about what she went through and try and Grandma The **** Up.

Thank god for the NHS, hey? Sad story that.

Murray

Are you planning to star in a remake of Ripping Yarns Curse of the Claw as Uncle Jack?

ourmaninthenorth

When I took a gap yah after school I went off to get a TB jab. Turns out I have an immunity in spite of never having been exposed or vaccinated. Same for my mother and her mother….

Didn’t stop me catching malaria in Zimbabwe a couple of months later.

Houns

Dibbs on your bikes

perchypanther
    Free Member

So I might have Tuberculosis

This is STW so we will recommend that you go Tubelesserculosis.

Just inhale the Stans and do cartwheels.

Jamie
    Free Member

Congratulations. You’re a Victorian.

scaredypants

FWIW, the vaccine isn’t all that eefective against pulmonary TB. Probably well under the oft-quoted 70-80%

TiRed

Take the drugs, finish the course. Do it religiously. Hope it is not resistant.

The vaccine is more effective against leprosy. It’s efficacy against TB has always been moot.

IHN

Call it consumption, it’s much more romantic

eckinspain
    Free Member

You want to get yourself some Rickets

slowoldman

Puts my cough (which OK maybe wasn’t whooping cough after all) into perspective. See if you can get yourself booked into a nice Bavarian sanatorium.

RustySpanner

eckinspain – Member
    You want to get yourself some Rickets

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rename yourself Tom_AD1887.

Houns

perchypanther – Member
    So I might have Tuberculosis
    This is STW so we will recommend that you go Tubelesserculosis.

Just inhale the Stans and do cartwheels.

Wahey!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Dibbs on your bikes

Depends. Are you ballsy enough to strut about like a peacock with bright Orange Fox 36s and not care that you’re a bit average? 😀

Folks like to gossip on the trail, you see.

Stans idea is brilliant, I might suggest this to the registrar.

scaredypants

registrar

of births and deaths ? 🙁

ratherbeintobago

it can move around your body and not just stay in your liver

It doesn’t usually start in the liver.

rOcKeTdOg

in my former job we used to get letters saying

“dear lab employee, that specimen you were handling last month turned out to possibly be TB, if you get any of the following symptoms (add long list of ailments you instantly think you have) pop along to the occupational health centre, but phone ahead so we can don our respirators and gloves”

which was nice

allthepies
    Free Member

Guy at work hat it last year, was off work for months and came back looking like sh*t.

dannyh
    Free Member

Just goes to show that there is a societal element to vaccination as well. The lower the % effectiveness of the vaccine, the higher the % of the population that need to have it to make it effective at population level. It’s actually quite an interesting area as it raises questions of social responsibility and collective action.

Bad luck to the OP, I’m sure you’ll be OK in the long run, but any serious illness will be unpleasant in the short term at least.

TiRed

True but the BCG vaccination obscures subsequent sensitivity testing. That makes it challenging from an epiniological perspective. What’s the true exposure levels? Can’t say. Unless you know you were not vaccinated.

For common childhood diseases, efficacy is much much higher. In some countries you can’t go to school without having been jabbed. BCG is not one that’s required.

But as I said, brilliant at protecting against M leprae

duckman

Roscharch wins the interweb. But get well soon Tom!

downhillfast
    Free Member

Jamie –
    Congratulations. You’re a Victorian

I recently had Pleurisy, can I join that Club? 🙂

Also had Scarlet Fever a few years ago.
    Currently looking for another Victorian era illness to contract….
    Tuberculosis is a definite maybe.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

In the olden days before antibiotics, they used to deliberately collapse al or part of a lung to “wall off” the infected areas. One way to achieve this was to break a few ribs and push them into the chest cavity.

That’d have an impact on your riding….

maccruiskeen

Also had Scarlet Fever a few years ago.
    Currently looking for another Victorian era illness to contract….
    Tuberculosis is a definite maybe.

Just go for Syphilis and be done with it.

For all the advances we’re making in cancer treatment, treatments for heart disease and all the rest our eye seems to have been off the ball a bit with good old fashioned antibiotics. We’re not really developing many/any new ones, we know resistance is growing to the existing one, but we’re not really doing anything to prevent that.

Its quite possible we’ll be a generation that dies of same diseases that killed our grandparents but that for our parents were curable.

tjagain

Are you sure its not an imaginary illness?

alpin
    Free Member

Friend of the GF contracted TB at a holding centre whilst volunteering to teach refugees German.

Nice pay back. 😐

There was an outbreak of TB in another asylum seekers place here in Munich. A friend was working as the caretaker, but chucked the job saying conditions were not good/hygienic.

Pete
    Free Member

Had that in 1976… A month in a Hospital ward for other TB sufferers, I had a room to myself. The drugs I think I was on was Rifampicin the other Streptomycin, which I think I took for about 18 months (maybe less, it was a long time ago) one side effect was making my wee bright orange… Used to have regular chest X-rays but none now for many years. One downside is my lung capacity is below ‘normal’
    Mine was picked up from one of the ‘mass x-ray’ vans that used to tour the towns many years ago..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘So I might have Tuberculosis’ is closed to new replies.