Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • so i just saw a MTber with tri bars on his MTB?
  • road2mtbyayyy
    Free Member

sorry for this totally noob question. he was using it commute on tarmac roads covered in slush….(something i want to do !)

but…how is it possible to mount tri bars on a MTB –
    my 2 MTBs have 2 different bars,
    1 a non O/S riser
    1 a flat OS with the center section at the stem is OS and then reduces down –
    so how do tri bars fit either? i thought they needed their own base-bar?

trail_rat
    Free Member

something like that ……

thats a ragley carnegie with a set of profile jammer GTs they fit on any 31.8 section bar.

kcr
    Free Member

You don’t need a dedicated base bar for clip on tri bars. They can be fitted on any bar that is the correct diameter.

jam-bo

Was he wearing bib longs over his shirt and had a HDR halo around him?

STATO
    Free Member

It can be difficult to fit them to some bars because as you say the fat centre section can taper down away from the stem and not leave enough space to clamp the tri-bars in a comfortable place. So you might need a different bar if this is the case, not always tho.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Was he wearing bib longs over his shirt and had a HDR halo around him?

Someone must be able to find that picture 😆

road2mtbyayyy
    Free Member

cheers everyone…

to trail_rat – yes they looked very much like that !

no bib longs, this guy was lycra shorts even at 2degrees ! not sure about a halo – could have been the helmet reflection of halogen lights from an audi up his arse at the time….effin audi drivers…

i guess fitting to your existing OS bars is a suck it and see on the taper…

but would they fit the correct diameter riser bar – is tri bars + riser the biggest no no in the cycling world ? %-) will i go to cycling hell….

andyg1966

Rob Colliver – Southdowns Double Double

jekkyl

where’s that other one standing like he has balls of steel?

andyg1966

This one … Sorry Rob!

woody2000

This one is more flattering 🙂

Yak

Temple of the Winds? (Balls of Steel Pic)
    Looks familiar.

matt_outandabout

This one is more flattering

Not with them Lauf forks on. 😯

😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

the only people i know with anything good to say about laufs are those “supported” by them.

every person i know whos been given a set to provide a review(mag journos and pro riders) hasnt had much more good to say about them other than their light….. one review i read – the only picture was a picture of the fork in a trashcan.

i dont know anyone whos spent their own real actual money on them….

any one on here put their money where their mouth is ?

woody2000

My mate has a set of the Laufs that he bought with his own brass. He likes them, but he’s a “minimal maintenance at best” type of rider. He’s also annoyingly the kind of bloke who ride up, down or round anything on pretty much any bike.

I had a ride and didn’t like them at all!

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

could this be his roadbike ?

robcolliver
    Free Member

Thanks for all the re-issue photos!

Regarding some detail of mounting the bars – I built a faceplate and riser bracket with top tube for the tribars to mount on.

My current handlebars do taper too early for tribars to mount directly to them…. USE are just looking at printing some parts to overcome this for me for my next big races.

Also, the Lauff works so well for xc racing (bear in mind that xc in this case really does mean XC and not a couple of hours around a woods)

I’ll post up a piccie of my new bike soon; I don’t own a roadbike apart from the one that lives on the TT.

back2basics
    Free Member

been thinking about something like this on me frakenbike/riser bar /cross hybrid commuter thing that i ride – especially when Desmond hit us….

as stated above its a “suck it and see” method if your taper will affect the mounting….

njee20
    Free Member

Also, the Lauff works so well for xc racing (bear in mind that xc in this case really does mean XC and not a couple of hours around a woods)

Well you don’t mean XC racing in the way everyone means XC racing. More gravel racing. Which generally goes (a)cross country, as opposed to what I’m not sure. Calling it XC is a bit misleading. I’ve yet to see a Lauf fork at an XC race, and have also only heard bad things.

I can see the appeal for gravel racing/riding thousands of miles on fireroads.

molgrips
    Free Member

how is it possible to mount tri bars on a MTB

Same as on a road bike.

Re their usefulness.. I’d consider it if I were on a Tour Divide type epic, especially somewhere wide open where the wind could be in your face for four days.

captcaveman
    Free Member

This is the “Lone Wolf” according to New York Bike Snob

STATO
    Free Member

Re their usefulness.. I’d consider it if I were on a Tour Divide type epic, especially somewhere wide open where the wind could be in your face for four days.

I think thats the obvious extreme need but they can make sense on multi-day or long-day rides elsewhere, just as a place to change position even with no wind. I wished i had some after one section of the cairngorm loop, my arms were battered after fighting the bike all day and i had 60 road miles home to do.

richardthird

The Lauff. Interested in why that over a + tyre on a rigid fork. (for big epic stuff not racing)

robcolliver
    Free Member

Wow, what a great article. It will need a couple of reads for me. Thanks for posting.
    There are a gaggle of reasons for riding XC (Banff in Canada to Mexico qualifies as cross country) and the TAT in 2017 and usind tribars including – somewhere to hang the tent and rollmat, somewhere to hide from the wind and to relieve stress on wrists by directing weight away from that joint.

Antway, here is a piccie of my new bike I just built, just to show that I can conform and not just doing it stir up STW forum.

This is such a fun bike to ride and I’m still mucking with cables, stems, steerers, pedals etc, but fatties are brilliant.

This one is 25 lbs and is a tester bike for Kermode Carbon Fat bikes in Canada.

bikebastard
    Free Member

Looking good Rob – except the helmet 😉

midlifecrashes

Any statisticians in the house care to calculate how long an average rider on any trail in the world has to wait before Rob whooshes by? 😆

Excellent stuff Rob, an inspiration.

molgrips
    Free Member

The Lauff. Interested in why that over a + tyre on a rigid fork

Less drag. You can use a small tyre pumped up hard and still get some cushioning.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve got Lauf forks that i bought with my own money, not used them yet so cannot comment, although i do have a Tallboy, i wouldn’t put them on that

seeing as i ride in Lincolnshire i thought they might be ideal as SID’s are overbiked for local “XC”

molgrips
    Free Member

I reckon they’d be better with some elastomer bumpers wedged between the carbon springs…

trail_rat
    Free Member

So what lauf have come up with is the modern replacement for the girvan flex stem ?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘so i just saw a MTber with tri bars on his MTB?’ is closed to new replies.