Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • So I just picked up a hitch hiker (and his dog)
  • Pook

on way way home tonight me and the girl I give a lift to spotted and picked up a hitch hiker.

He’d got as far as chesterfield from Greenwich and was bound for Manchester. His sign said Sheffield and I thought ‘why not?’

anyway, the most amusing bit in meeting my new friend Stuart was being introduced to his dog….

Stuart.

All quite a bizarre, but amusing diversion

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a pity that the culture of hitchhiking is almost dead now.

I thumbed all over Ireland as a student. Met a few really interesting people, some of whom I still remember.

Met a few weirdos too though. Imagine being picked up by an Irish version of hora, and you’re getting there… 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

Sadly, Pook was later found murdered to death. Police believe a crazed hitch-hiker, who had been seen in the area with a fake dog, is responsible.

A moment of silence please.

Coyote
    Free Member

Irish version of hora

<shudders>

Cougar

O’Hora.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

O’Hora and His Beautiful Penis – A hitchhikers tale.

Pook

don’t forget Stuart the dog.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s a pity that the culture of hitchhiking is almost dead now.

I gave a guy a lift a couple of weeks ago. He had been climbing in Torridon and was hitching down to Nottingham. Top bloke, no dog.

We hitched a couple of times in the States with the bikes, never gave it a second thought.

toby1

No one called Stuart should name their dog Stuart – end of!

Jamie
    Free Member

No one called Stuart should name their dog Stuart – end of!

It’s fine. It wasn’t a real dog.

LeeW

Perhaps he didn’t name it.

BigJohn

Mrs BigJohn & I used to hitch all over the place when we were young. Our honeymoon was spent hitching round Europe.

That was in 1975 though. I guess things may be different now.

Klunk
    Free Member

a friend of mine, hitched to his parents half way through an acid trip. Picked up by a truck, after about 15 minutes the driver asked him “are you into mutual masturbation ?” 😀

mmb
    Free Member

my old pet rabbit was called dave, he was great he was.

LeeW

We’ve two rats, one called Dave and the other is called John.

fasthaggis

Hitched all over the country in my yoof ,great fun.
    Met some proper ‘characters’,but never anyone too scary 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

Met some proper ‘characters’,but never anyone too scary

scariest for me was vw mircobus driver swigging out of the whisky bottle as he drove along. Shouldn’t complain did give 2 of us a lift from truro to bristol and put us up for the night.

alpin
    Free Member

i hitched all over Oz and now pick up hitchers if i can… sort of hitch hiker karma.

once spent 18 hours, inc. one night, on the side of the road in northern WA before i got a ride.
    a good way to travel… ended up doing stuff and going places that i would never had done if i were travelling by train or coach.

worst experience was asking a big trucker to leave the amphetamines alone whilst the GF and i were there. got a bit heated and i was bricking it.

had lots of drunken and stoned drives through the outback. great fun.

Anna-B
    Free Member

my old pet rabbit was called dave, he was great he was.

but are you called Dave?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve heard tell that Sir Gerald Nabardo has a pet prawn called Simon (you wouldn’t call him a loony)

Furthermore, Dawn Pailthorpe, the lady show-jumper, had a clam, called Stafford.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve hitched as a youngster. I got a lift in a big lorry cab once, ride was so bouncy I almost puked over the course of 5 miles.

highclimber
    Free Member

I picked one up the other day, a farmers labourer off into town for a few drinks. quite an interesting fellow who happened to have worked in my home town of Darwen (bear in mind we are now in north wales)

Drac

jam-bo

Still quite popular round Totnes.

Cougar

It is. People are a lot more paranoid.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

my sisters dog is called Pat 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not in Totnes!

😉

Cougar

my sisters dog is called Pat

Mate’s dog had a tag on his collar that said ‘Pat’ on the back (presumably some sort of patent reference). It always amused me that they had a dog who came with instructions.

Coyote
    Free Member

Furthermore, Dawn Pailthorpe, the lady show-jumper, had a clam, called Stafford

Did it sport a beard?

BoardinBob

mugsys_m8

Captain Flasheart,are all your pets called Eric?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s nothing so odd about that: Kemal Ataturk had an entire menagerie called Abdul!

mugsys_m8

Alan Bullock has two pikes, both called Chris, and Marcel Proust had an ‘addock! So if you’re calling the author of ‘A la recherche de temps perdu’ a loony, I shall have to ask you to step outside!

tomaso
    Free Member

I picked up a hitch hiker out of Lancaster the other week. Very pleasant uni student on his way to a party in Edinburgh.

I too used to hitch and its a shame folks are so scared and that there also so many nutters out there..

Nipper99
    Free Member

Im Brian and so’s my cat.

jamj1974

My cat’s name is Douglas – mine is not. I have never hitchhiked but Douglas maintains a sullen silence when asked if he has ever done. Suppressed memories or guilt – who knows…

hora
    Free Member

My visually amazing wang started throbbing. It does that when people start talking about it somewhere…so I knew it must be on a topic somewhere.

Boardinbob LOL… Refreshment stops the bath houses of the 90s

Mr_C
    Free Member

augustuswindsock

Hitched round Aussie in my yoof, went from Adelaide to coober pedy in four lifts and got stoned in two of them. Just remember being stood with my thumb out, in the outback, midday, baking heat and absolutely tripping from some incredibly potent skunk gear, and thinking, please God,don’t stop!

Seemed a laugh at the time, scares the life out of me to think about it now!

stavromuller
    Free Member

Hitching is a great way to travel, you never know what your going to get. Always give a lift if I spot someone not too mingin’. The story earlier about Torriden reminded me of the time I tried hitching from there to Inverness. Failed miserably for most of the way, had to give up at Muir of Ord and caught the bus, on the way out of town spotted a guy hitching with a goat FFS.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘So I just picked up a hitch hiker (and his dog)’ is closed to new replies.