Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • So I fancied some of them PDW's
  • Merak

£90!
    That is all.

somafunk

May be a supply issue as I’m sure I only paid £60ish for mine?

Daffy

What’re PDWs? Full metal Fenders?

Exchange rate init? 20% slide = 20% increase so £75*1.2 = £90

Merak

Think your right Internet says they were £40 at one point. I’d like a set but not that bad.

DezB
    Free Member

£90? for mudguards?? What a joke. Just get some SKS. Or a set of £7 jobs. They’re shitty (literally) mudguards ffs

thepodge
    Free Member

The Swarf bikes carbon ones are about 100 I think but look about 200… If I could, I would

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

if you mean the roadie guards then all the reviews and comments on here suggest theyre not even that good, only just clear 23mm tyres and usually needs a bit of modification/extra work to fit well.

jameso

It’s a fair bit but I’d pay £90 for some quality, well-fitted and better looking guards, PDW don’t make the size I’m after though. £90 for good guards could add more to a lot of my riding than a lot of other things I could spend on, saves a lot of wear too. Worth it not to have the crappy flexy things that most cheap guards are.

SKS P35s are good, the wider they get the less I’m impressed by that type though. Edit to add, swarf look good but carbon .. would want to be confident they’d be tough.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I paid 60….

They are the tits.

They are actually quite a bit better than SKS. To allude that they are not shows you have not had the pleasure of seeing some in the flesh….

SKS didn’t fit my bike with 40c tires on either …The pdws do 🙂

legend
    Free Member

There’s folk on here happily paying £90 for a tyre….. at least these’ll last longer!

sundaywobbler

I paid approx. £60 for mine about sept last year. Bought to replace SKS longs (which lasted a winter before failure!) They are mush better than SKS ones although you have to take a bit of time and care fitting them (as with all mudguards) to get them to fit right.

I also had to take the front one off and do some repair work by more peining of the rivets to tighten them up and stop the rattle. I only run 23mm tyres though so don’t have any issues and they do look lovely for a set of mudguards 🙂 I reckon they’ve done about 4000 mile so far and are holding up well.

TiRed

Snapped two rear sks P35s. Never had the slightest problem with Tortec. T carbon guards are out of stock but I’ll be adding those to the winter bike eventually. In the meantime it’s the cheap sks commuters. In fact I’ve ridden two days without them as I raced the winter bike on Saturday. The difference in road gloop coating the bike is amazing!

Salmon used to make alloy guards, are they still available?

firestarter
    Free Member

I paid 75 for mine I’d even pay 90 they are top quality

MrAgreeable

Any reason why they’re £40 better than Velo Orange?

sundaywobbler

To be honest I didn’t look at Velo Orange. The standard answers round these parts is usually SKS or PDW and I’ve tried both now and the PDW are much nicer, both in quality, materials used, mounting arrangements and most importantly no where near as fiddly to install. As the stays are more or less telescopic they look much ‘cleaner’ around the wheel as there isn’t a bit of stay sticking through past the mudguard. There is also only one set of stays per guard rather than two.

As they are aluminium they are also much nicer to work with and you don’t need three pairs of hands to hold them still whilst installing, they don’t flop around like SKS

DezB
    Free Member

you have not had the pleasure of seeing some in the flesh..

Some people get pleasure in the wierdest ways. It’s what makes the internet so popular. I hate mudguards. Soon as it’s dry they’re chucked on the garage floor.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good job you don’t live somewhere with a highly variable climate like say- the UK where it pretty much rains on any given day all year round.

DezB
    Free Member

Didn’t rain yesterday. Not raining today… Mudguards are still on though. Til the dry weather comes then I’ll switch to the QR ones.
    Hey, people can justify spending stupid money on mudguards all they want. Doesn’t mean I have to does it? Not sure what the argument is.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

They are actually quite a bit better than SKS. To allude that they are not shows you have not had the pleasure of seeing some in the flesh….

not bothered how they look, it’s how they perform and how durable they are that matters. Both mine and Munqe-Chicks SKS have snapped within a few months just in front of the seat stay bridge (mine could have been bent/stressed by being bolted to the back of seat tube so I left hers loose to avoid that, still broke in the exact same spot…) , so we are getting crap sprayed forwards onto the backs of our legs. MC can get the PDW’s at trade so if they are good I might give them a try, but the last few mudguard threads have been less than stellar about them (and we both run 25C’s).

Merak

I have, rather smugly managed to source alternatives.

ransos
    Free Member

Gilles Berthoud guards are the best I’ve used, but boy are they a pain to fit.

Andy

What did you get please Merak?

bedfo
    Free Member

swarf look good but carbon .. would want to be confident they’d be tough

@jameso they’re incredibly tough, there’s glass in the layup as well as carbon

jameso

^ good to know, thanks. Traveling with a bike with guards seems risky if they cost >£100 .. but they do seem well made.

amedias
    Free Member

The PDWs are good, I have a set of both the thin and wide versions (bought when they were £40) but the Velo Orange and GB guards are better, mostly due the rolled edges giving much better water retention thn the PDWs.

As always, proper fitting is the key to longevity and function, and the GB and VO guards ideally need either additional stays or rack mounting to be properly robust. The PDw are a bit thicker Alu and seem to dodge this requirement to some degree…

VO or GB for me, doubly so now that the PDWs have gone up in price, but as Jameso says, you can save the cost of the guards in wear an tear on a drivetrain in pretty short order, let alone the comfort of actually staying dry!

andysmiff1
    Free Member

I can vouch for Bedfo and the swarf guards – had a pair for over a year now with no issues at all!

A

LAT

Are we talking about the Full Metal Fender? They are $120 on the PDW website.

VO or GB for me

What are GB? I’d like to take a look at them.

howarthp

I love my swarf guards – they are what get commented on most on my bike

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-seven-evergreen-sl

LAT

Found the GB guards at sjs. My Google skills are better than I thought.

13thfloormonk

Dammit, was just about to get a set!

Trailrat, what size did you use for 40c tyres, I see 30mm or 45mm available…

rutland
    Free Member

I must have been unlucky with PDWs. I purchased a pair, but the front brake clip separated from the mudguard after less than a year of use. PDW / Charlie The Bike Monger replaced it with a brand new guard, which was good of them. However, after only a couple of months it’s started to rattle and I can see that the brake clip rivets are working themselves loose.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Soon as it’s dry they’re chucked on the garage floor.

you wouldn’t chuck the PDWs on to the garage floor as they are too nice…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘So I fancied some of them PDW's’ is closed to new replies.