Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • So, I bought one of those bargain RP23's for my 5…
  • twang
    Free Member

…but, its arrived and its a high volume one which isn’t what I was expecting as the piccie showed a normal volume one.
    I’ve read somewhere that single pivots get a bit wallowy with the large volume can? Is it worth bunging on and have a play about with the settings or have I got to send it, in all its kashima loveliness, back to Ballyclare?

Any help much appreciated

Northwind

I thought they were going to a single can size, with spacers to vary the internal volume?

wrecker
    Free Member

Mine was a normal can.

twang
    Free Member

Mine was a normal can.

Really? Ended up being a bit of a lottery it seems

I got a ‘factory series, boost valve, high volume with a med/med tune and boost valve tune of 200’… whatever that means?

wrecker
    Free Member

Yep, Same tune and BV but Deffo normal can.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

You can very easily make it work like a standard volume can by using some air volume spacers available from Mojo

Dave-j
    Free Member

I have a high volume rp2 shock on my five and it seems a big improvement on the old manitou shock.

twang
    Free Member

You can very easily make it work like a standard volume can by using some air volume spacers available from Mojo

yeah that makes sense but isn’t the compression and rebound tuning also specific for the bike or suspension design?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have a high volume rp2 shock on my five and it seems a big improvement on the old manitou shock.

I’ve seen the manitou is action it wouldn’t be hard to get an improvement.

jam-bo

I bolted mine onto my five earlier, will try it out tomorrow and see how it rides. Worst case I’ll stick my vanilla RC back on and hawk it on eBay. Pretty sure I’d get my money back.

snax

Where are these bargain RP23’s to be found?

jam-bo

CRC were doing them for £140. Probably all sold out now.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

twang – Member
    yeah that makes sense but isn’t the compression and rebound tuning also specific for the bike or suspension design?

That’s true. I’d just ride it; you can alwasy get the tune sorted at a later date.

zilog6128

That’s true. I’d just ride it; you can alwasy get the tune sorted at a later date.

Except here
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-fox-kashima-rp23-190×51-138-on-crc Loco states the cost would be £30 for an unused shock… implying that a used shock would be more. Dunno how much though, but for thirty notes I’d probably just get it done now.

carlphillips
    Free Member

volume spacers…cheap and easy to fit.

twang
    Free Member

will try it out tomorrow and see how it rides. Worst case I’ll stick my vanilla RC back on and hawk it on eBay. Pretty sure I’d get my money back.

thats what I was thinking. Would appreciate your thoughts after your ride

@zilog6128 Yeah not sure how a used shock differs from a new one as to the tuning?

If its not right for a five and needs tuning and the volume reducing, it gets kind of expensive…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

not sure how a used shock differs from a new one as to the tuning?

Probably doesn’t need all the o-rings replaced etc. so you save the cost of a service kit?

lcj

I am in the same situation as OP. have a spacer kit coming from loco tomorrow and will report back after Fridays ride.

normski
    Free Member

As daft as it sounds you can fill the void in the high volume sleeve with grease and this will reduce air volume back to a normal amount. This advice was given to me by one of the technicains at Mojo as it saves having to buy a new air can.
    Makes simple sense really when you think about it. You can either inject the grease into the high volume sleeve via the little hole inside the main can, or slide off the high volume outer sleeve and fill the recess with grease.
    Works a treat, totally safe, doesn’t void warranty, and Mojo reccomended.
    Simples!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘So, I bought one of those bargain RP23's for my 5…’ is closed to new replies.