Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • So How Noisy is Heathrow?
  • hitman
    Free Member

In particular the Feltham area?
    Possible job opportunity has come up here – how convenient is it for city living, as I’d like to live in the centre and travel out?
    Anyone with any knowledge of the area please give me some info.
    Cheers

petefromearth

i’m not sure feltham is on the flight path. i used to commute that way when i lived in hillingdon and worked in sunbury. it didn’t seem that noisy compared to the rest of london

not the most exciting part of london though!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Feltham is fine, I lived in North Feltham until a year ago and the planes were flying north of us. It’s quiter than Richmond.

hitman
    Free Member

cheers
    where would be a viable place to live in the city and travel out?
    looking for somewhere to rent but not madly expensive

Surfr
    Free Member

I grew up in Twickenham and you just get used to it. I’ve traded concord and 747s for hawks and F15s now and I still look up to watch every single time something goes over. Never understood all the fuss about noise levels really.

aP
    Free Member

Why not live relatively close? Commuting out to Feltham from town will be tedious. You could live in/around Twickenham or Richmond instead then you could get a fast train into town when you want to go.

GJP
    Free Member

Feltham is on the fast train from Waterloo. So as aP says Twickenham, Richmond are good places. Putney may be worth considering as closer to town and nicer IMO. I lived there for 7 years when I first moved to London.

If you don’t mind the anti-commute then so long as you can get to Vauxhall or Waterloo easily the commute should not be too bad from some more cental places if you really want to live in town.

Each to their own and all that and it is all about balance – my limit would be no more than an hour door to door – but reliability is also important so fewer changes the better.

konabunny
    Free Member

Get somewhere on the c’anal and commute along the towpath…or buy a houseboat!

djglover
    Free Member

I commute out of Ealing to Staines each day, about 10 mins further to ride than Feltham, I wouldn’t want to be any further into London than I am as its 45 mins by car or bike in general. Dont use the trains so can’t comment on that

you can’t hear heathrow from Fetham but you can from Houslow as its under the flightpath there.

Depends on roatation but areas of Kew and Richmond are very bad for noise and in Ealing we only get them over if the wind is eaterly, ie almost never, but when you do its very loud if its a 747

atlaz
    Free Member

Another local-ish person and I’d go with the above. If you’re close to heathrow and live just north or south of it, you’ll rarely hear any noise. I work about 2 miles north of the runways and I’ve never heard a plane. At home, 10 miles south, I get more noise. As others have said, Hounslow and Richmond are right on the flight path but outside that, it’s not too bad.

Anywhere around here you’ll get some plane noise but I think unless you’re right where the planes go on approach, you’ll probably not notice them after a couple of weeks.

hitman
    Free Member

cheers for all the information
    I see that waterloo is 25mins on the train which doesnt seem too bad
    Not sure where to live centrally but may look at Fulham as someone suggested, although I thought it was pretty expensive there?

atlaz
    Free Member

Try VERY central London. Like Soho. if you’re not too picky it’s actually quite affordable and the “local colour” will keep it interesting.

hitman
    Free Member

atlaz – cheers for the heads up on Soho

Hairychested
    Free Member

You realise the W in West London postcode is from Wealthy? I moved to Hampton as it was a cheaper place to rent than W3/4/5. And it’s just a couple of miles from Feltham.

atlaz
    Free Member

You moved to Hampton and you’re talking about west London being pricy, it’s hardly like you moved to the ghetto 😀

That said, I used to live slightly further into town down the Thames from Hairy and now live a bit further out and I’m very happy with the area in general.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I found a really large 2-bed flat in Hampton for £150 less than it’d be in Feltham. You can find a nice flat here for £850 pcm. I still dream of Fullers Brewery Thames Riverside house (circa £5m), mind.

konabunny
    Free Member

you’ll probably not notice them after a couple of weeks.

You know the scene in Blues Brothers when Ellwood takes Jake (or is it the other way around?) back to his apartment..?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘So How Noisy is Heathrow?’ is closed to new replies.