Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • So, how much have you spent on biking in 2011?
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

I’m at least £800 up this year having sold a road bike and other bits. Can’t ride though, so I’d be an idiot to have spent money on cycling. Just adding to the Physio budget really, might have some ti bolts fitted 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I’d guess it’s approaching 2k. But then I have bought two bikes and replaced the front end on another.

smogmonster

2 new bikes and a week in the Alps,some new winter kit and bits here and there….probably £4k+ However there isnt very much that i need now as i have a spare of almost everything, so next year will be a damn sight cheaper.Famous last words……..

GJP
    Free Member

Gross over £2.2k. A 2011 Scott Scale 35 for £1200, a Trek FX7.5 for £450, New Brakes £150, New Light £180, New Garmin 200 £100, Some winter road wheels £100, plus all the other bits and bobs.

I have sold perhaps £1600 worth of bike kit so net spend isn’t too bad. 2010 was very cheap indeed.

I would like a new road bike in 2012, but we will have to see.

saxabar
    Free Member

Hmm, trips away comes to about £2000; a new to me Intense Slopestyle £1500; a new to me Van 36 £400 (bought abroad for another bike); bits and pieces I guess around £400, including any labour. It’s been a bloody year riding though, and that figure includes looking after the commuting bike.

_tom_
    Free Member

Well over 2 grand at least, I reckon. Bought a fs (cheapish 2nd hand) and took that to Whistler for 2 months. The whis trip cost about £1.5k all in I think, most of it was spent on overpriced grocery store shopping!

kudos100
    Free Member

About 2 grand I reckon. As I was pretty much starting from scratch, it was an expensive year. Next year will be less than £500 (barring any frame snapping/fork exploding)

grantway
    Free Member

About the same has Kudos £ 2,000 and probably a bit more
    was even looking at a new frame so god knows !

beej

Hmm. £1160 at CRC and Wiggle.
    Powertap wheel and new front wheel to match, £1400.
    More road wheels, £385.
    Kaffenback, £1000.
    Evans, about £100.
    Road bike holiday, probably about £1500 in total.
    Merlin, £300.
    Local shop, £200.

About £6K. But I did get £500 for the track bike.

(£3K already spent/allocated on 2012 – Dolomites trip and the Haute Route cyclosportive)

wrecker
    Free Member

In the region of £4k 😳
    Sold some stuff, prob £2k worth.
    I was planning a low spend next year but booked a hol to Italy and can see a hardtail in my future (if brant ever replies to my post). No kids.

IainGillam
    Free Member

If I forget about the track bike, the TT bike and the small fortune I’ve just spent on next years races, probably still quite a bit. Thinking about it I’ll probably cut back a bit in 2012!

Iain

boltonjon

Came back to Mountain Biking after several years off in April

I’d hate to add it up but bought a Zesty, upgraded it a lot, spare wheels, bought a 2nd hand winter bike, lots of quality riding clothes, helmet, 2 pairs of shoes, camelback, lights, tools, a Landy to cart everything around (v cheap) and half a dozen epic weekend away rides.

Probably the wrong side of £5K

However, I rediscovered the best sport in the world, got very fit, made loads of great new friends, seen the sunset from the top of Snowdon, got rid of a very expensive & mental girlfriend and stopped smoking.

Money well spent and i’m set for the winter and next years adventures!!

Winner 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

couple of hundred quid IIRC

colournoise

Just checked this year’s CRC history and that comes to 900 quid, so overall I guess I must have spent around 1200-1300 quid on bike stuff since January. Then a bit more for petrol if we’re including travel costs.

Hmmmnnn, thought it would have been WAY less than that as I’ve made no big ticket purchases this year.

2012 is likely to be more expensive though – if I don’t get seduced by the new Cotic FS then I’m itching to go back to a steel HT with some bigger forks.

slainte ➡ rob

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Road bike (2nd Hand) £1400
    Clothing – 500
    Wheels £350
    Biking holiday £1000ish
    Brakes £200
    Fork £250
    Tyres £150ish
    Misc £250
    £4k OOF and that’s being conservative.

another £500 on road wheels. bah

edoverheels
    Free Member

Averaging out sporadic bike purchases every couple of years etc and excluding bike holidays it is probably about £1500 a year.
    I ride nearly every day, at least 5 out of 7, even if sometimes not very far or sometimes twice a day, proper ride and then with the dog for example. Mix of XC and Downhill. Say 275 -300 rides a year. Means about £5 to £5.50 a ride.
    I can’t decide if that is a lot or a little.

d45yth
    Free Member

Whatever you’ve spent it’s worth it…isn’t it? 😕
    There must be more than ianpinder that’s into 5 figures? There’s too much carbon and titanium on here for there not to be! 😉

ton

only about £2k this year. bought my electric bike.

footflaps

Hmm a lot more than I realised….

Wiggle £627
    CRC £572
    Merlin £2406
    Frame off Classifieds £500
    Another £500 for random bits off classifieds / Ebay..

So around £4,600 excluding holidays….

CountZero

Bu99er all. Not even on magazines.
    Although I did actually go into a bike shop today and look at possibly getting a replacement for my ”03 Xen.

andrewh
    Free Member

Quick count:
    Two race frames (at cost price) £1300ish
    Extra components to build above due to compatability issues with old bits £900
    Second hand TT frame + fork £450
    New brakes for spare bike £400
    Lots of little bits, helmets, brake pads, tyres, tubes etc Estimate £600
    Road handlebars £140
    Clothing £200
    Entry fees, must be at least £400.
    Petrol, 9000 miles at 28mpg £1910 at £1.30litre. Car servicing £550, insurance £406, tax £260. MOT + repairs £70, other repairs £200ish. I only have a car so that I can get to races. This is therefore a biking expense.
    Well over £6.5k.
    Actually, I’m surprised it’s not more. I earn a little bit more than that and have bugger all else to show for it.

boltonjon

But, if you divide your spend by approx miles covered, the cost is pretty small considering the fun we have 😀

stanfree
    Free Member

£1190 Canyon Nerve
    £100 On One frame
    £90 2nd hand Revs
    £40 2nd hand Juicys
    £90 2 x BB’s, chainring , chain , cassette
    £15 Madison flux seat
    £50 Paramo fueva jacket
    £40 Enduree humvees
    £50 Hope Bling
    £20 Easton Bars 2 nd hand
    £20 Break pads.
    £80 Mavic 117 and Alex back wheel
    £75 Various Tyres

^^ Off the top of my heed.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

A shit load…

A roadbike and all the trappings plus a LEJOG trip.
    An ti456 frame plus a few componenets and a weeks trip around Scotland.
    Some bivi gear for the WRT.
    A Covert, a reverb and a place on the Trans Provence.

Add to that some weekends away, some days out, a load of inner tubes, spares and random bits I’ll never remember, the Oakleys I got cheap in Millets today and it’s no wonder my house is a mess and my car is ancient.

PJM1974
    Free Member

£250 on replacement forks…
    £75 on a new Pro II Evo (thanks for the deal Hope)
    £60 on a headset
    £75 on an emergency brake replacement
    £40 on reconditioning my old brake
    £60 on shorts

Just over £550. It’s been the cheapest year since I started biking!

Edit. 2012 is going to see the shock services on both my Floats which I’ve put off for a while, followed by a possible hardtail frame purchase. And a new set of wheels for said hardtail. The hardtail will of course need cranks. And a cassette. A chain and a rear mech. Oh, and shifters too. And a seatpost and saddle…

And pedals…

geordiemick00
    Free Member

If I count the last twelve months we’re talking circa £15k, in 2011 takes it down to £12k.. Sold most of it, after going through a Cube Stereo Race (£2700), Trek Rumblefish 2 (£3300), Niner Air 9 (£2200) Cube Peleton road bike (£900) I settled on a Lappierre 514 (£2700) and a £1000 On One Inbred single speed.

On top of that I fell for all the marketing shit and bought every buzz product going, go-pro, Garmin, reverb, AM45 shoes, mobi washer, £200 jacket, £500 lights blah blah blah. Hired the Beard for the day at £215 and spent numerous £90’s on sets of maxis tyres…

The result is I now hardly ride a bike, I was using cycling to tackle depression, I got out of a bad relationship that biking was distracting me from, I’m now in a happy relationship and the bike(s) don’t turn a wheel.

Interestingly this post has made me reflect on the last twelve months and here’s a link to my garmin report, i’ve done most of my mileage up until about June, it all goes wrong after that…

http://connect.garmin.com/api/report/page/printableReports.faces?cid=4734864

must get out more and stop wasting money!

PJM1974
    Free Member

£15k to tackle a bout of depression is actually extremely good value for money.

You got off very likely indeed!

GJP
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member
    £15k to tackle a bout of depression is actually extremely good value for money.

You got off very likely indeed!

I had one of those years in 2007, although mine may have been dealing with a manic phase. Unfortunately it didn’t do a lot for either my health or my bank account.

Glad to hear it proved cathartic for you.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I left a toxic ex in 2002. The resulting expenditure was eye-watering but worth every penny. I estimate that I’ve spent £10k on bikes alone since then, but I regret nothing.

I did it again in 2006…

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It must be more like £2000/3000 for me but I only started mtbing last december so it isn’t that bad really. I’ll probably spend a bit less but still easily over a grand next year; I need an enduro full sus for racing.

Northwind

Some titanic stupid amount. And I don’t grudge one penny.

onehundredthidiot

A lot less than previous years, and was looking a t a net profit but…..

two weeks in the Alps and a (new to me) Zesty kicked the arse out of that. Ah well, long time dead.

martinxyz
    Free Member

To the rrp of around 7k. First brand new complete bike in around 12 years. Also a few frames both new and 2nd hand. Some of the stuff was heavily discounted so it helped a lot.

bigjim

Hmm not a huge amount, I think around £600, only £100 in one order at CRC in 14 months, a £150 second hand frame, £200 wheels, couple of tyres and some brake pads and cables. Bit of petrolly driving to a few places and lots of tea and cake at the Hub when it was there!

saxabar
    Free Member

Another way of looking at of all of this, for those hovering around the £4000 mark, is that this roughly equates to three and pints of beer per day. I’ll take my weekends, new-to-me Slopestyle and numerous Alpine trips thanks!

ianpinder
    Free Member

Ok, I bought:

Nicolai DH bike: £5000
    Bos vipr: £480
    Bos divilles: £750
    Nicolai cc 29er: £4000
    Garmin: £350
    Lights: £200
    Wheels: £700
    Pub bike: £300
    Sixc cranks: £500
    Xtr pedals: £120
    Alps holiday: £1000
    Uk trips: £1000
    Other bits and bobs: lots more
    Sold almost all of that to pay for:
    Tour D’Afrique about £12000 and counting

I would think in the. End it will work out at around £2 a mile.

No debts, no over draft… So happy days.

So far projected costs in 2012 are a nicolai helius am to replace the one I sold, and a nicolai helius ac29er pinion. Just because I can. And another alps trip and maybe another tour.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

new bars £50
    new stem £35
    new frame £650
    holiday £1200
    Tyres £60
    Wheels £145
    brake hoses £40
    pads £35

Sold old frame for £450 so spend = £1765

oh, paying off cycle to work scheme bike £350

Lets call it £2k eh.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I thought I’d bought some gear cables but I just checked wiggle and that was actually 2010 so I don’t think I’ve spent anything on the bike this year. Hope Esmerelda doesn’t feel too neglected.

leffeboy

It’s always a bit funny when non bikey friends ask for advice on a bike and say they have around 300 eur to spend. This thread is why I no longer have a clue as the cash seems to disappear at an alarming rate.

Sending them to decathlon works well though

andytherocketeer

€200 for a pr of wheels (Mavic hub/axle well and truly fubar)
    £200 ish for accommodation in Scotland
    £300 ish for part of ferry cost (holiday was MTBing and non-MTBing so split 50:50)
    £30 or so for a tyre (the other tyre came c/o CRC compensation voucher 😉 )
    €150 ish for petrol (pure guess)
    £quite a bit for FC parking fees (which I assume all go to a good cause)
    £10 for a pr of gloves that only lasted for 3 days in Cairngorms and 4 of the Stanes 🙁

that’s about it. more than I’d have guessed.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘So, how much have you spent on biking in 2011?’ is closed to new replies.