Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 336 total)
  • So how many miles did you rack up in 2009?
  • iamtheresurrection

Funny, I was reading this thread earlier thinking how well the OP would get on with Glupton. D'oh.

Smee
    Free Member

TM – was self employed then went to studentdom – wife and two kids. couple of hours a night once the kids go to bed isnt difficult.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Good answer Goan!

I do enjoy your threads 😀

rolfharris
    Free Member

This year, something like 8-9000, riding 3-4 times a week (usually- sometimes more) with some races. Almost exclusively MTB, though, bar a 400 mile tour in the summer and about 15 road rides.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Actually, I'm just gonna have to pick you up on a couple of things:

100 miles a day at the weekend and 40 miles/night – its not that much really.

Yes. Yes it is. Unless, as I say you are self-employed with no family commitments. And maybe no interests outside of cycling. And a very leathery perineum.

40 odd miles on the roadie is about 90-120mins at most.

Erm… you must live somewhere pan-flat. However fit I've been this year, I think I managed to break the av.20mph on solo rides (when not racing or time-trialing) on only a handful of occasions. Fastest ride of the year was a 60miler in March @ 20.9mph with two other guys. And TBH I dawdled home for the last 5miles cos I was ****. Are you seriously riding everywhere at time-trial pace??

As someone else pointed out:

26.7mph is still impressive in a group in my opinion.

Impressive? **** me, I don't think I've seen many E12s races that have been that fast.

Seriously, buddy, before you come waving your willy at all the beer-belly bikers* on here, be prepared for a little backlash.

(* no offence, You know who you are 😉 )

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

And a very leathery perineum

😆

Smee
    Free Member

TM – It's hilly, but on average the rides are flat. I probably do ride the shorter rides at TT pace – why not? And as I pointed out 40 mile rides were in between 90-120 mins depending on tailwinds and groups etc.

I'm not waving my tadger – I was asking how much people did in 2009. I'm a fit boy – big lungs and big heart. VO2 max is through the roof too.

Perineum has a leathery texture to it though.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Keep digging keep digging……..this is a great thread, very very funny.

njee20
    Free Member

I think his miles are a little shorter than most of ours. Remember he has also driven a million miles in a few years at the ridiculous average that he has – and all without breaking the speedlimits.

Glad it's not just me who remembers that the driving God has also racked up a million miles. Do you tow your bike behind you and call those miles cycled too?

It really is a shame you decided not to become an elite MTB racer, sounds like you should be handing Liam Killeen his arse on a plate. Although for someone who can average 26mph (even in a group).

rolfharris
    Free Member

I didn't want to get involved, but njee is right. I don't know of any elite MTBers that ride 18000 miles in a year.

I'll admit that perhaps only a quarter of mine are "quality" training miles. I do like to bike for fun!

Smee
    Free Member

NJee20 – let me tell you about the world. There are around 7 billion people in it – you cannot hope to know or comprehend the actions of all of them so will try to judge them based on your own experiences. I suggest you take that and learn from it.

Smee
    Free Member

S_O – We have met – What you have failed to realise is that the vast majority to those miles were used to build stamina – I did very little mtbing by my standards last yr.

njee20
    Free Member

Thanks, may I suggest you stop smoking such strong stuff?

May I ask what group rides go out at night after the kids are in bed like you say you do?

Judging by results you also seem pretty slow frankly. Don't say you're going for endurance, because LEJOG in a 'couple' of days requires massive speed, your results in 10 hour races don't look remotely special, certainly not the sort of person who's turning out that sort of mileage.

The stink of bullsh1t seems to be making my eyes water though, maybe I'm misreading the results.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Did we meet? Where abouts?

This wasn't Jeremy related was it 😉

rolfharris
    Free Member

Oh, and if it was at 10 under the ben don't let that be a mark against me, I was having an off day!

njee20
    Free Member

I don't mean you S_O, I mean the riding deity that is Mr Lupton.

Smee
    Free Member

NJee – explain the lejog in a couple of days needing massive speed thing for me if you can.

I am crap on a mtb, but I am fit.

I'm guessing you are about 22 and have not met many people.

Dasha
    Free Member

What's your VO2 max?

devs
    Free Member

3900. All on mtb off road. Work at home so no commute. Most in the dark as well I would wager. I get more than enough grief for that but then I go out drinking quite often too!

rolfharris
    Free Member

Njee- it's OK, I was just wondering if I'd met Surrounded By at 10 under.

Smee
    Free Member

S_O – Relentless.

Dasha – Extremely High – thats all you need to know.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ridden just under 8000 miles this year, but I do a 20 mile each way commute on the bike so that makes up the bulk of my mileage.

Don't really want to rise to smees bullshit but it's a shame you couldn't manage a better time in the radar ride.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Ah, I see. Which one were you? I'm not sure if you met me while I was passed out on the fireguard in the cafe or out on the trail but my brain's chosen to erase a lot of that weekend so that I still want to do it this year.

You weren't the one calling me gaylord, were you?

Smee
    Free Member

Gary_M – It's a shame you couldn't avoid hurling abuse at someone who went off fast to get over the hill and out of the wind at the Radar Ride…

Smee
    Free Member

S_O – I was talking to you before the start – with Trail_Rat. Skinny guy with a Rock Lobster.

njee20
    Free Member

Dasha – Extremely High – thats all you need to know.

Mine's higher.

I also have a bigger penis, earn more money, and have more friends than you, all whilst being less of a moron.

That's all you need to know!

tails
    Free Member

I know george and he is speaking the truth, in fact in all honesty I'm surprised he didn't reach his target of 20,000 miles. So in a way he is being modest.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I think I've lost you in a haze of energy gels and puking team mates. How'd you get on?

Dasha
    Free Member

Have you done the E6, MM Sleepless, Cheddar challenge or indeed anything that can verify the veracity of your ability claims?

Smee
    Free Member

S_O – ditched it early on because the course bored me.

Dasha – none of those. Why would I want to go and ride somewhere shit?

FFS – even my 70yr old father inlaw did 14000miles in 2009.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Ah, that's a pity. Course this year was fun, but, no, not as technically interesting as in the past.

Smee
    Free Member

First half of the course was absolutely fantastic, the second half with that never ending slog is what bored me. I'll do it again next year though.

rolfharris
    Free Member

It's the tramline that gets me, but the fireroad climbs I can live with quite happily.

Not as good a result as '08 for us sadly, but it's a big goal for me this year.

Dasha
    Free Member

Results, I need results!

Smee
    Free Member

I had gone into it hoping for around 20 laps or thereabouts, just couldnt face doing any more laps. TBH the course probably wasnt all that bad, but my head was in the wrong place.

Dasha – what if I told you that not everybody takes races seriously. There are people out there that need to do a lot of exercise just to keep their head straight – I'm one of them.

Gary_M
    Free Member

someone who went off fast to get over the hill and out of the wind at the Radar Ride

Which hill was that then smee?

njee20
    Free Member

I think the mileage is more believable than the pace myself and the boasting of the super-human physiology, which you won't even quantify.

It's particularly questionable considering the mediocre results you seem to produce.

And who do you do your 26mph group rides with late at night?

rolfharris
    Free Member

For once my head was in a wonderful place- I had a lot of fun. My legs hated me after 12 laps.

Smee
    Free Member

Gary_M – the very first one.

Njee – I like to ride and enter races for the craic.

njee20
    Free Member

That's not really the mentality of someone who's going to destroy records on LEJOG…

And even riding for a laugh your claimed figures on here would make me expect better results.

Group rides?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 336 total)

The topic ‘So how many miles did you rack up in 2009?’ is closed to new replies.