Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • So, how long does a pipe bodge last? Any plumbers?
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Just about to have a run-in with the builders, just after a few facts/opinions.

New extension, blah, blha, blah. They’ve had to run a new waste pipe along the steel lintel and it was boxed in and plastered over.

Said waste is now leaking, they’ve cut out a bit of plaster and applied what looks like some kind of epoxy around the leaking junction which has solved it.

The question is how long does that expoxy last? I can imagine with a bit of flex on the pipe it could easily leak again and the new kitchen is going in around that area and I’m not going to be too happy refitting the kitchen in a couple of years.

Admittedly it’s a moot point as the foreman admitted the plumber did it in a rush and didn’t even bother chucking a bucket of water down to see if it was watertight, and I’m about to tell them to pull everything down and do it properly this time.

Temporary bodge? Or can anyone reassure me its a permenant solution that’ll outlive me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is it epoxy or is it solvent glue

solvent glue being whats used to joint waste pipe…. and important ingrediant a previous owner/their tradesman missed out when fitting my bathroom

Stoner
    Free Member

I wouldnt trust epoxy in a concealed location. hot water expansion would crack and knacker it pretty quickly I reckon. Is it leaking from a joint or a failure in a pipe run?

Cougar

I had a temporary repair done on a leak one, some sort of self-sealing tape or other. Lasted about an hour.

Cougar

(self-amalgamating? Maybe)

freeagent
    Free Member

don’t like the sound of that – and I’d certainly not be happy about it as a ‘new installation’

Considering the builder has admitted it was a cock-up, I’d get them to rip it out and do it properly.

installing plastic waste pipe isn’t rocket science… it is either solvent weld (which very rarely leaks if you do it properly) or compression joints, which can be a bit ‘hit and miss’ which is why you should always chuck a few buckets of water down it, preferably with a newspaper under any joints to show up leaks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“applied what looks like some kind of epoxy “

by the OPs own admission he has no idea what they have actually done.

so going in all guns blazing telling them to rip it out and do it again isnt likely to prove a fruitful solution.

it may have been that the guy either forgot to solvent weld the joint – easily done if your in a rush and have fitted it all up to get your sizes – dont ask me how i know 😀

the cocked up part was not testing it while open.

project
    Free Member

Anything with water running through it and then concealed i would ask the builders to remove the plasterboard all around, reseal joint, then check with a mirror and torch for any leaks and contamination.

Worked in a few houses where a small leak has caused massive damage, due to damming somewhere in the boxing in.Also check pipes are fixed in place, as joints can pull apart, if just push fiit, as oposed to solvent welded, eg glued.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Is it Fernox LS-X, a clear moisture cure silicone that is used as an external leak sealer? Will be slightly flexible to the touch, just like silicone sealant.

Approach it with a calm head, assess how many joints need access and what work will be required.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Looks like a opaque araldite kind of look to it, liberally smeared (messily) around the outside of a joint. It’s hard so pretty sure it isn’t silicone.

Just left a message informing the boss his team will be doing a proper job this time with no additional cost to myself. Awaiting the response…

nickjb
    Free Member

around the outside of a joint

That would be a bodge I wouldn’t trust. If they pulled the joint apart smeared it with something sensible and pushed it back together then that would be OK but anything round the outside is rubbish.

neilwheel
    Free Member

As above, not to be trusted.

cardo

It sounds like LS-X which if applied properly will seal a joint but its a bodge TBH.

globalti
    Free Member

Plumbers, eh? Of all the trades they seem to be under the most stress to get jobs done in time. They don’t cost in travelling, buying bits and setup then clean down time so they are always under stress and prone to bodging.

We’ve just had a new kitchen fitted and I had to get the plumber back for two things he did wrong. The second time he just bodged them, excellent bodges I have to admit but I’ve taken it all apart and redone it so as to be sure it’s been done right.

gears_suck
    Free Member

If new waste pipe is leaking. It has not been fitted properly.
    It doesnt matter if its solvent weld, push fit or compression. There is no reason it should need any kind if selant smeared anywhere, especially where it’s visible. If this is the case, the job is flawed and any resonble tradesman would be prepared to remove his faulty work and complete it properly using only the materials intended for a new installation.

globalti – Member

Plumbers, eh? Of all the trades they seem to be under the most stress to get jobs done in time. They don’t cost in travelling, buying bits and setup then clean down time so they are always under stress and prone to bodging.

Incidentally. As a generalization and me being a plumber. I resent this remark.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘So, how long does a pipe bodge last? Any plumbers?’ is closed to new replies.