Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • So how do you suss out another rider?
  • stever
    Free Member

I lent a bike to my mate’s new brother-in-law for ride in the Peak. Struggled a bit with the gears but tore everyone’s legs off with a smile on his face …turns out he was Commonwealth medallist runner. Stop fretting and have some fun 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I took my neighbour out with us for a ride, he was a rugby star in his day and naturally fit

He got himself a road bike but I always thought he was more equipped to be a mountain bike rider is asked if he would like to join us lot.

I gave him my 2010 Enduro in full on “Alp” spec to slow him down a bit but he still got to each gate before us lot an had enough time t get off, open it, hold it open for us lot, close it behind him, get on, and still beat us to the next gate, but only if we were going up hill!

He wasn’t asked again,

Nobody likes a show off.

theflatboy
    Free Member

curiousyellow – Member
    Mate invited his sister’s brother for a trip to Wales with us

so… his brother (or him)?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Deck him

DavidB
    Free Member

Just found this on a Spanish MTB forum

¡Ayuda! Estaba borracho y arreglo para ir a caballo con un tío gordo británico que parece que no puede andar por toffe. ¿Cómo le bajaron suavemente?

Pedro

rocketman
    Free Member

Sandbaggers are the worst. Seem to be actually not that good at the start of the ride so you can turn the screw a bit and revel in your god-like riding abilities.

Then when you’re feeling all smug and think you’ve got the measure of them they start keeping up with you. As the ride progresses they start chatting easily on the steepest climbs and waiting at the end of the severest gnarfest with a cheery smile and a ‘well that was fun’

At the end of the ride when your legs are on fire and you are really suffering they suggest ‘extending’ the route because they are enjoying it so much

As you prepare to die they ask you if you’re ok?

Not that this ever happens to me

samuri
    Free Member

As soon as you start off, ride absolutely as fast as you possibly can. really turn yourself inside out doing it.
    Even when you’re crying in pain, keep going.

This will impress him and show him that even if you are the slower rider, you have spunk.

justatheory
    Free Member

Let him play, I’m sure he’ll be fine. He’s got a Lapierre not a Halfords special.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Normally speak before hand, outline your plans (if you want to stick to them say you don’t really know much else up there but have researched these routes) They will involve carrying and some technical descents.
    It’s going to be a bit remote do you have enough spares – tubes, patches, mech hanger, mountain clothes?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@theflatboy

Sorry, meant “his brother in law”! I was 2 minutes too late for a stealth edit!

globalti
    Free Member

I once got let down by my riding buddy for a Polaris winter event and had to find somebody at short notice. I think it might even have been through this forum that I linked up with a guy named Lloyd who was interested in taking the place. He turned out to be much younger and faster than me so I felt bad all weekend holding him up. Still, I think we managed a respectable placing, somewhere in the top 30% in our category.

Andy-R

Some of the best riding I’ve experienced in my life is because people better than me let me ride with them despite me being a shit rider and I’m always grateful they indulged me.

I’d go along with that ^^^ – and I’m always happy to ride with someone who isn’t as “good” (it’s all relative…) as me, too.
    Even if the ride is slower than I would have been on my own so what? It’s only riding pushbikes, after all, and sometimes the social aspect is as important as the riding.

DezB
    Free Member

If your just looking for a weekend’s solo riding and don’t want to be lugged with a Derek then just let him know

Was gonna say something – then I saw the above. WTF does that mean?
    Derek’s an insult now? Punch in the nose coming your way pal.

xcgb
    Free Member

I’ve been riding bikes on and offroad for 35 years, and have no idea what forks I have, don’t care either so long as they work!

TheFlyingOx

surroundedbyhills – …Pedro…

Do I know this bloke? If I do, you’ll be fine. Not an amateur by any means. Didn’t know he had a Lapierre though…. ❓

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Hiya Ox – unfortunaltey for me it’s not that Pedro! If only it were I’d be a happier camper.

Ok so I feel like I’ve done as much as I can, I showed the guy the OS map of the routes etc and gave him outline details of times and what I expect of the day. I’ve heard from the wider group that (this) Pedro is always keen sign up for stuff but then generally fails to show, so I’ll just have to see what happens.
    And for those who don’t know the type of fork you have (which I used to illustrate the point, not to define the guy) fair enough but if you you give me ZERO other indicators that you know what you are talking about then I get concerned. I doubt those that I consider to be several skill notches above me would chose to take a hard tail into the type of country I heading for.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Could be worse, Dez, could be called Colin.

Or Joey.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Where’s this Pedro from?

Do folk on here honestly seriously not know what fork they ride (make, travel, etc.)? I find that quite difficult to believe.

scandal42
    Free Member

Yea but it’s cool not to know, it’s all about being cool.

kimbers

is he on strava?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’m going up two days early to ride and then be social

So, go up two days early, ride, if Pedro makes it, pretend you don’t know him or ignore him completely. He’ll never invite himself along with you again.

dabble
    Free Member

actual lol at DezB, not at DezB though, I don’t want a punch in the nose 😉

LS
    Free Member

Do folk on here honestly seriously not know what fork they ride (make, travel, etc.)? I find that quite difficult to believe.

I have SIDS, that’s as much as I know. I think they’re 100mm. Model year, all the various internal combinations? No idea. I just set everything to the middle and ride them.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Ok! So Pedro now can’t make. Stand easy, chaps!

arrpee
    Free Member

Wonder if Pedro ever takes his Lapierre off some sweet jumps…

curiousyellow
    Free Member

VOTE PEDRO!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Well tbh it was a let off!
    Not only did my epic day out, following the Ben Fadha route as posted up here titled “Is this the best route in the UK”, turn out to be a 4½hr bog fest with 45mins of top riding… Pedro turned up the next day on an entry level Lapierre with Suntour forks and no brand rims/hubs etc… First time we went off to look for a trail after 15mins of hike a bike he mumbled something about being self employed and not wanting to have an accident so we turned round and went on a road ride to the pub so it was sonething of a win; Sunshine beer and chips with a view of Eilean Donan Castle 😀 . Saying that he was nice bloke and good company, just a bit over enthusiastic!

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘So how do you suss out another rider?’ is closed to new replies.