Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • So, has anyone on here got an iPhone X?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Just curious really. What’s it like? I’m not thinking of getting one, but I am interested in honest opinions on some of the more contentious stuff like Face ID and “the notch”.

Is Face ID great or a huge pain (or somewhere in between)?
    Is the notch impossible to ignore or does it just fade away after a while?
    Are you pleased you got it, or are you regretting it?

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t have one but my business partner does. He really likes the Face ID (says it works seamlessly), loves the new way of navigating/gesturing and says that the notch doesn’t bother him.

However I’m sticking with my 6S – really can’t see the justification for getting one myself.

footflaps

However I’m sticking with my 6S – really can’t see the justification for getting one myself.

Have you put iOS 11 on it yet?

Wondering how much it will slow it down by…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the-muffin-man

No noticeable slow-down on my 6 or my daughters SE.

nealglover
    Free Member

MrsG has a 6s with iOS11 on it.
    No noticeable difference in performance/speed so far.

footflaps

Interesting, the wife upgraded on her 6 and says it is now much slower..

allthegear
    Free Member

Running iOS 11.2 on my iPhone 7 and it seems, if anything, faster than iOS 10 ever did.

Rachel

prawny

My 6 was crap for about 3 days after ios 11, fine now after all the updates. Battery life is back to where it was too.

Dickyboy

Someone is selling two in the classifieds 🙄 me I’m very much in the “how much!” camp

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, Mrs’s 6 ran slow and battery bombed until latest 11.1.1 update, now back to where it ought to be. She has now turned Refresh Apps to WiFi only too… I’ve done that but she had hers to wifi&mobile..

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes, don’t be too disheartened when you upgrade from iOS 10 to 11. During the period after the upgrade, the filesystem is reorganised as a result of changing from AFS+ to APFS filesystem format.

This takes processor & storage time, and battery.

Rachel

johndoh
    Free Member

I do feel it is slowing down – for example, if I open a browser there is a noticeable delay before any typing starts to appear (usually misses out the first two or three characters). Then today I opened up the phone there was a delay as I typed each numeral into the board (although it isn’t doing it now).

thomthumb
    Free Member

ios 11 on iphone 6. improved battery life & reportign of battery: seems much more linear than it did before.

Lots of apps don’t work though. No openmaps; not great to discover that lost in the woods last week!

footflaps

Someone is selling two in the classifieds me I’m very much in the “how much!” camp

They’re not also selling a crash damaged moped by any chance?

craigxxl
    Free Member

IOS 11 seems to be faster on my Iphone 7 but I’ve had problems with bluetooth connections. Some needed to be deleted and setup again but others have refused to work since.

tomhoward

Ordered an X from Apple direct, was online at 830 on preorder date, got one at 845, 4-5 week lead time… will report back.

Current phone is a 3 yr old 6 plus with IOS 11, phone was kind of on its last legs a few weeks ago but the update to 11 has meant it hasn’t died any further

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So only one person’s actually got an X and answered the question then…? 🙂

What’s ‘the notch’ please?

tomhoward

The black bit at the top of the screen that houses the camera etc

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, just an opportunity to moan about battery life since IOS 11 that everyones had issues with..

Interested to hear about the 10.. let us know what it’s like.. EE are still trying to flog me an 8 with their free upgrade every year deal..

tomhoward

Oh, rather tauntingly, the case has arrived. So at least I can pretend I have one….

it does seem a fair bit smaller than the plus, with the same size screen, so that’s a plus bonus

GolfChick
    Free Member

Tried one out in the apple shop today while waiting around, liked it but wasn’t a huge fan of the app closure process without the home button there. Seeing as I’m an iPhone 7 owner I wont be upgrading as it’s just not worth it.

On the battery note I did notice a huge degrade on my battery to the point I went to apple on saturday and they tested the battery and said it was fine, however, on further inspection one of the chips to do with the battery and performance was knackered, nice brand new iphone 7 for me! Although that one was also broken as it kept force rebooting due to a process telling it that the graphics chip was over heating even when not in use….. another brand new iphone 7 and apple in Brum sorted it though! I do wonder how many batteries have actually degraded so much that an ios update exagerates it slightly. I turned off a lot of my background refreshes wondering if it was the new ios etc. but it was still destroyed.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well, iOS11 was fairly pain free on my 7, 11.1 had a few more bugs like e-mails scanning through headers and stuff – however 11.1.1 is a blast from the past, it’s doing that thing when it tells you, you’ve about about a 3rd full battery, then it dies, when you charge it, it starts on about a third.

Oh and it’s ran out at midday today, about 5 hours from a full charge and I’d hardly used it.

rs
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for a few days now, at the end of the day it’s just an iPhone. I was due an upgrade and the 8plus was still expensive so I figure I might as well try the x. The notch doesn’t bother me, face ID works very well, the gestures with no home button seem natural. Cameras are good, but the 6s plus wasn’t bad, nice having portrait mode now. I like that’s it’s smaller. That’s all I can think of.

plyphon
    Free Member

Mate has one and i’ve fingered a fair few (oohh err)

Face ID is pretty cool and works really well, pretty delightful experience when it opens just by looking at it.

I want one, for sure, but struggling to justify the cost. Doesn’t help that I’ve been on a £15 a month rolling contract for the past 2 years or so.

My 6 is slowing down a bit and hanging up quite often now. I’ll evaluate after xmas.

Face ID has already been hacked, though:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4YQRLQVixM[/video]

So depending on how sensitive your data is/paranoid/how many tin foil hats you own…

scuttler

Tempted to wait for the XI.

(SE owner here) Sorry OP, no help but I also met someone the other day who was all giddy and excited with a new case.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

pretty delightful experience when it opens just by looking at it.

This is what is puzzling me. I didn’t think that was how it works. You still need an upward swipe to actually get to your home screen*

*I don’t have an iPhone X, and am just recounting what I’ve read from Apple themselves:

1. Raise to wake or tap to wake your iPhone X.
    2. Glance at your iPhone X.
    3. When the lock icon on your screen animates from closed to open, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to unlock.

timmys

Mine turned up on Friday. Previously had an iPhone 6

I was worried about Face ID but am absolutely staggered by how fast it is. Raise the phone and swipe up at the same time then by the time you are looking at the phone it is unlocked. It is way faster than Touch ID in my hands (caveat beign I am used to a three old phone).

Likewise, I thought after 10 years of iPhone use (I had the original 2G one), the lack of home button would be jarring but after a few minutes use I was sold. Flicking an app away seems natural to return to the homescreen and the, not very well publisised, horizontal swipe to switch between apps is great.

The notch was not something I was worried about and I don’t really have a strong feeling about it either way. It’s just there.

Other than that the phone is great but a lot of that is because I am coming from a three old phone so am seeing dramatic improvements in speed, camera, battery etc. If you were coming from a 7S for example, you’d probably be less blown away.

So far the only thing I really don’t like is access to the Control Centre. It’s now a swipe down from top right which I can’t reach with one hand. It’s mitigated though as there is now instant access to the torch and camera from the lock screen via force touch buttons.

DezB
    Free Member

What are people doing to their iPhone 6 to slow it down?? Mine’s running the same as it was when I got it 3 years ago.

timmys

This is what is puzzling me. I didn’t think that was how it works. You still need an upward swipe to actually get to your home screen*

*I don’t have an iPhone X, and am just recounting what I’ve read from Apple themselves:

You are correct you need to swipe. You can start the swipe before it unlocks though so by the time you’ve swipped it’s unlocked.

If it went straight to the homescreen as soon as you looked at it you would never be able to just glance at it to look at notifications without them disappearing instantly.

It does a really nice thing in that the default is for notifications to not show in full now, but they appear when you look at it to preserve privacy better.

How it works now is exactly analogous to how touch ID worked in fact. It would always unlock with the presence of a finger but you still had to physically push the button to go to the homescreen.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

So far the only thing I really don’t like is access to the Control Centre. It’s now a swipe down from top right which I can’t reach with one hand

Interesting. Whilst I confess I don’t have huge hands or long fingers, pretty much every day I get frustrated with not being able to comfortably and effectively use an iPhone 6 with one hand. It’s little wonder (to me) that the iPhone SE is still in the range.

footflaps

What are people doing to their iPhone 6 to slow it down?? Mine’s running the same as it was when I got it 3 years ago.

Pretty normal, every Apple product I’ve owned has got slower with each new SW update. 1st gen iPad is barely usable….

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, agree there – had em all – ,iPhone4, iPod Touch, iPads (1/2) – all slowed down to almost unusable. 6S though, still perfect.
    Still, good for me, couldn’t afford a new one now anyway!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What are people doing to their iPhone 6 to slow it down??

I’m not sure anyone really has an answer to that. My iPhone 6 has a similar issue to one reported further up this thread; I can be merrily typing out a message/email/URL and nothing happens on screen. Eventually things catch up and a load of characters get dumped on the screen. It’s not unique to any one App. The other pain I have is I never know if the screen is unresponsive or the phone is simply slow, so I’m bashing away pressing buttons with nothing happening.

big_scot_nanny

not iphoneX, would have got one if available, but iphone 8plus new user to add some consistent notes coming from iphone SE:
    1) dual camera’s, esp portrait mode, are stunningly good. Resolution is still not as good as a proper camera, but my goodness its awfully close
    2) taptic engine, haptic feedback is a really lovely thing
    3) little things like (when locked) it turning the screen on when you pick it up, and it turning off when you put it down again, are just lovely

rs
    Free Member

The only time I use control centre is when I get on a plane and turn on flight mode, so that’s not bothered me. I actually turned the notification privacy off. When the phone is sitting on my desk I like to be able to glance at it and see if it’s worth looking at further. It was annoying having to look more closely to make the notification appear.

jamj1974

My 6S is now definitely slower.

plyphon
    Free Member

Yeah sorry, by ‘open just by looking at it’, I meant the unlock and swipe combo.

There is an article somewhere of an organisation who benchmarked phones throughout their lifespan. The core processing power of 6/6s/etc hasn’t changed from updates, but it’s indisputable that my 6 is hanging and being non-responsive more now than ever. I’ve only really noticed it in the past 6 months or so, but now it’s a daily thing.

timmys

The only time I use control centre is when I get on a plane and turn on flight mode, so that’s not bothered me. I actually turned the notification privacy off. When the phone is sitting on my desk I like to be able to glance at it and see if it’s worth looking at further. It was annoying having to look more closely to make the notification appear.

Totaly get that, though have tried turning off “Require Attention for Face ID”. That allows you to unlock without looking directly at the phone.

stumpy01

stilltortoise – Member

Interesting. Whilst I confess I don’t have huge hands or long fingers, pretty much every day I get frustrated with not being able to comfortably and effectively use an iPhone 6 with one hand. It’s little wonder (to me) that the iPhone SE is still in the range.

Is there not a ‘screen shrink’ function that lets you see the whole screen, but it just appears smaller & is anchored to either the bottom left or right?
    I don’t know as I don’t own an iphone, but my Lenovo P2 is a bit large for my teeny hands to operate one-handed, but there’s a screen gesture that shrinks the screen down….I imagine there will be something similar for iphone.

Ah, just googled it and it seems to be called Reachability. Not sure it’s as useful though, as it appears to just drag the top of the screen to the bottom, rather than shrinking down the entire screen.
    Double tap (not press) the home screen to activate reachability.
    It’s on by default, but can be turned off under settings>general>accessibility.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I use Reachability stumpy01, but it means something that a smaller phone/bigger hands can do with 1 click takes 3 clicks. Very much a 1st World Problem but, as Smart Phones get better in so many other ways, it’s one of those things that feels like a step backwards.

I’ve had some interesting discussions about iPhones recently. More and more functionality is tucked away in settings, or hidden behind a gesture or a long click. It’s no longer as intuitive as it used to be when there was a visual clue on screen as to what you can/can’t do. Fanbois constantly big up iPhone’s “ease of use”, but they’ve been using an iPhone and following iPhone news for years. It be interesting to give a new iPhone X to someone who has never used such as device and see how intuitive it really is these days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘So, has anyone on here got an iPhone X?’ is closed to new replies.