Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • So, going back a bit, where do you come from?
  • edlong
    Free Member

Rift valley? Isn’t that where we all came from?

nickf
    Free Member

Dad’s side – France (via Lancashire)

Mum’s side – Ireland (via Glasgow)

kimbers

(^ as edlong says)

its a very messy business

worked at a genetic disease testing lab, they took DNA samples from families (ie 2 or3 generations) to try and track down disease associated genes,

about 1 in 10 families had a child whos parentage wasnt what the rest of the family believed it to be, obviously the info was never disclosed and that was just looking at a few generations

cudubh

Briefly, one Dutch grandmother, English grandfather and 2 Scottish grandparents but further back Irish, Greek, and Italian too. I was quite proud of being such a mongrel until I read this thread. My lot don’t seem to have been trying all that hard compared to some.

martinhutch

mum – 1/2 Indian 1/2 polish

I’ve been told there’s a bit of Indian and Polish in me too, coupled with some nice solid middle-class Newcastle.

rkk01
    Free Member

Cornish, well at least for 3 generations, possibly much further back on my father’s side. Mother’s side has a bit of East Devon and some Welsh and Irish. Maternal grandfather’s family supposed to be Powers.

Father’s name is supposedly Danish / Norwegian origin – that King Canute bloke. **** (or a Danish / Viking leader of that name is said to have formed an allegiance with the Cornish (Cornish,West Welsh, British) to fight against the Saxons (German English)*

I’m Bristolian through and through, both my parents families can be traced back through numereous generations, and it’s always birth registered in Bristol.

On researching my surname, it’s supposed to be Cornish, but that’s got to be going back some!

Well, Bristol was part of Cornwall…….

* with apologies to the curriculum version of history…..!

ETA stupid spell checker- doesnt know it’s Norse…. C n u t Norse for Canute!

logical
    Free Member

Born in Nigeria
    Dad from Anstey in Leicster
    Mum from Ashby
    Grandparents
    Mums mum – Ashby
    Mums dad – Glasgow
    Dads Mum – Breedon on the hill
    Dads Dad – Dover.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Canadian born (so Canadian passport) but Brissle mainly.

So, yes, when it all gets too much, I’ll up the family and bikes, and **** orf to Vancouver and never come back.

Hatemail to: 1, The Bin, Desk, Officeshire.

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘So, going back a bit, where do you come from?’ is closed to new replies.