• This topic has 23 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by igm.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • So following the demise of my commuter I need a replacement
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

My jake the snake winter commuter died* yesterday, it’s done a lot of miles and its pretty shagged.

So I’m in the market for a replacement.

I’m struggling to see past the pinnacle arkose 4 at the moment. It’s £1300, but I can buy evans voucher through out company benefits with an 8% discount and another 4% back through quidco takes it down to about £1140.

I want hydraulic discs and I need to be able to fit full guards. Anything else I should be considering in the road/cross/gravel/adventure/etc genres?

*broken mech hanger and needs about £250 spent on it

amedias
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium disc? although that seems to be mech disc only…

custom build an option?

akira

2015 arkose four cheaper, could be worth a look. Lovely bikes, would like the ss one but can’t sneak it past the wife.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The the 2015 is cheaper but the 2016 has bolt through front fork and internal cables. The bolt through I’m not so bothered about but I like the idea of the internal cables.

benp1

I have an Arkose 2, really like it

It’s a very practical commuter when used with a rack – cycling to work, local runs with the kids, towing a trailer, shopping with panniers and a rear basket

Run mine with 32mm marathon pluses and full guards

stilltortoise
    Free Member

<thought title of thread said “computer” so waded in to start a Mac vs PC argument. Is disappointed> 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

custom build an option?

Custom build isn’t really an option as I want to be able to have by the weekend. It’s going to do my head in not riding for a week as it is

kcal

could you pick up a cheap s/h not quite suitable bike and thus not get rushed into choice? Would have thought getting a spec of bike you *want* is tough with 4 day deadline! good luck though!

otsdr
    Free Member

The bolt through I’m not so bothered about but I like the idea of the internal cables.

The cable port is at the top of the downtube, I assume water ingress will be an issue eventually; plus the pricing on the 2015 seems unbeatable.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Boardman CX Team.? £999 -10% British cycling. Hydro disk front and rear and 1X11.

rOcKeTdOg

Mangobikes point AR

Gary_M
    Free Member

Boardman CX Team.? £999

Yeh had a look at boardman yesterday as I get multiple 10% discounts but that’s got a tiddly front ring that I’d need to change.

the mango has mechanical discs

igm

Isn’t the Pinnacle Arkose a bit like a Planet X London Rd?

(Available at various prices and specs – customer service and quality allegedly varies bug the stuff I’ve had had always been great)

benp1

Don’t know enough about the PX London Rd, but the Arkose is generally very well thought of – well designed, good range of specs and keenly priced

I bought mine partly off the back of the massive love-in on here

benp1
    Gary_M
    Free Member

Looked at the PX London Rd but its mechanical discs and there’s no option to change. The arkose is a far better spec anyway.

I’m not really rushing into a choice, a replacement for the jake the snake has been on my mind for well over a year and the arkose was always top of the list.

otsdr
    Free Member

Medium 2015 Arkose 5 is on sale at the moment

Yes, but the SRAM hydro brifters are just… ugly.

Gary_M
    Free Member

38t front ring means I’m oot.

Bought the 2016 arkose 4 now.

amedias
    Free Member

Bought the 20016 arkose 4 now.

the one with the carbon nanotube frame, weighing 4lbs complete, with telepathic shifting, magneto-stop brakes and hover wheels? nice…. 8)

The Arkrose’s do seem to be exceedingly good value and well designed, hope you get as many miles out of it as your Jake!

Gary_M
    Free Member

the one with the carbon nanotube frame, weighing 4lbs complete, with telepathic shifting, magneto-stop brakes and hover wheels? nice…

That stuff’s not available yet, will be at least 18,000 years before it is 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

ooh, you sneaky little editor you, glad I quoted that 😛

igm

Looked at the PX London Rd but its mechanical discs and there’s no option to change.

Well it may or may not be a good spec and you have to like SRAM, but £999.99 equals Planet X London Road SRAM Rival 1 Hydraulic Disc Road Bike. 42Tx11 gearing.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah that’s waht put me off – the 42*11 gearing which is useless for commuting on road.

igm

Fair enough.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘So following the demise of my commuter I need a replacement’ is closed to new replies.