Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • So – Edinburgh, Wednesday nights, we now have a bus to take us to Glentress
  • couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

As per the STW home page.
    http://singletrackworld.com/2011/10/mountain-biking-made-easy-new-bike-bus-link-from-edinburgh-to-glentress/

I’ve not used these guys, but that £15 does seem like a proper good price (approx same as return petrol + parking for me). Anyone used them – or does the owner post on here? Of course if sharing etc then it seems expensive.

My only comment is 5.30 is a tad early.

And lastly, the Wednesday crew should really organise a GT night out. So – next Wed – I’m game – anyone else?

druidh
    Free Member

Only if you promise to stay off the walkers paths 😉

ojom
    Free Member

5.30 disnae work for us.

Got a meeting next wed that might go on longer than after work. Will try and find out though in advance and get the lights charged.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Can’t promise anything 😉 I’m happy to share lifts, have space for two extra in the van, although as I live in Midlothian I wouldn’t really fancy going beyond the southside of the ‘burgh to drop people off.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And would the tandem fit?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just bungee it to the back, tag along style. Guess where you’re sitting? 😈

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I know – I know. If there is enough interest I’m kind of hoping we could peruade the owner to go a bit later. In the meantime I’ve got a van that can take a dozen bikes (only one passenger though 😉 )

#edit -TJ- your tandem will easily fit in my van. Maybe front wheel off. But you are more than welcome.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

so…

when do they come back?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

when do they come back?

I’m going to call them tomorrow and have a chat. I’ll post up here the outcome.

Stu_N

Their suggested route from Haymarket Station to the meeting point (linked from here) takes you the wrong way up three one way streets (Morrison Street, Grove Street and Leamington Road). Then it takes you onto one of the “No Cycling” paths on Bruntsfield Links.

Not exactly “best practice”, that…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Stu_n : I’ve emailed them and will phone them tomorrow. I’ll pass on that bit about haymarket – links.

Stu_N

If you go to “driving directions”, and move the existing point onto Gardiner’s Crescent it gives you a legal route that is pretty sensible on a bike (though at the moment you’d have to walk the bike to Grosvenor Street due to roadworks at Haymarket junction).

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Stu_n : I’ll pass that on too. Thanks for the constructive input.

bigjim

Their suggested route from Haymarket Station to the meeting point (linked from here) takes you the wrong way up three one way streets (Morrison Street, Grove Street and Leamington Road). Then it takes you onto one of the “No Cycling” paths on Bruntsfield Links.

Sounds fun!

Apparently the no cycling paths are now cycling allowed, but they’ve just not removed the no-cycling paint.

mau00149
    Free Member

way off topic and apologies to interupt but bigjim, can you email me re shoes. cheers matt

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

No responses as yet. I’ll try the phone again on Monday. I still fancy GT on Wednesday – even if I’m driving. Anyone else?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I may head over if its not pissing down.

Northwind

Aye, weather dependant here too but I’d be up for a ride on wednesday… Won’t be taking the bus though, but would be able to take another person down.

singlespeedstu

Are Al and GW gonna have a bitch fight on the back seats?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I just got this back:

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

enquires@glentressbikebus.co.uk

Strange – I dont know what that means? – I’ll retry the phone on Monday.

#Edit – In the meantime, I’m still up for GT on Wed and can carry bikes plus one human (N/ NW & W edinburgh).

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I just spoke to Karl from bikebus and he’s happy to leave later (eg 6.30) and return later. At the minute he’s looking for feedback on the website and also the timings. He’s got a survey on the website so all input is welcome. The email laddress for enquiries doesn’t appear to work though.

In the meantime I’m going down this Wednesday. Lift and bike space available if anyone fancies it.

Northwind

Anyone else up for this tomorrow? Assuming that we’re on, I’ll have space for another in my car, heading down from the west side of the city…

Time/place?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’m still up for it. North-west-ish if anyone wants a lift. Arriving at GT about 7 seems most popular?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aye – go on. was there tonight but another night ride will be fun.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

TJ – how was tonight?

Wed- I can collect you opposite Guilianos(?) around 6. Tons of room.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tonight was great – really enjoyed it – just what I needed.
    a lift would be great.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

TJ- I’ll see you at 6 opposite yours.

White Transit Connect this time.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

double post!

Northwind

Guess I’ll see some people at 7pm at Glentress then! Red Focus estate… Should warn you I will probably have with me an enthusiastic teenager with Opinions to share.

I think TJ’s probably already got my number but if there’s a change of plan could someone drop me a line on 07796896173 please?

Ta!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

we’ll be there. Probably Peel carpark.

an enthusiastic teenager with Opinions to share.

I’m used to it. Wait till you meet my nephews! – they wont be there tomorrow!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Northwind –
    I think TJ’s probably already got my number

54 46?

hels
    Free Member

Nice Toots and the Maytals link – that makes us both old I think – was listening to some Rocksteady myself last night.

But back on topic how was the bike bus ? Saw it hoofing up the road last night back of 1700 thought it might be going to pick you guys up.

Hope this service catches on – so much going for it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not tried the bus yet

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I intend to go down but it makes sense to share where possible. I am on west side of Edinburgh and can take 2 or accept a lift from someone if that suits.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I’ll be there @ 7

bigjim

I’m very tempted, will go if I can leave on time, and if I can find the car.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Well I enjoyed that. A bit different and the weather gods were kind to us.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta. Nice ride out.

Northwind

That was a good one, cheers folks!

neil853
    Free Member

Bike Bus service sounds fantastic, I’ll definately be using it. I have a few friends spread out throughout the UK, we generally all drive in different cars as we live in different places but this might mean we could actually use the train! I’m going to try and email the chap to see if we can adjust the pick up times slightly.

Brilliant idea though, really hope it takes off

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘So – Edinburgh, Wednesday nights, we now have a bus to take us to Glentress’ is closed to new replies.