Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • So, did a regular Pentlands evening ride emerge from that one the other week?
  • jimmy

Bikechain people – is there a regular ride now?

ojom
    Free Member

There is. It's as regular as we can be…

Basically – got lots on at the moment – we have a new website about 10days from launch etc.

We are doing a road ride on sunday if you fancy it. Otherwisem we could be up for a ride next week at some point.

jimmy

don't currently have a road bike. will watch out for ride plans, cheers.

druidh
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member

Basically – got lots on at the moment – we have a new website about 10days from launch etc.

We are doing a road ride on sunday if you fancy it.

Ooh! Where and when?

jimmy

druidh – Premier Member

thebikechain – Member

We are doing a road ride on sunday if you fancy it.

I fawt you woz one and the same

druidh
    Free Member

Pah! I go off for a day and he organises stuff behind my back. Probably hoping I'd miss this thread so he'd not have to face watching me pedal off into the distance

ojom
    Free Member

Onion – i thought you said we were going out?

Oh and btw – we are another step fwd with worldpay….gogogogogogogo

druidh
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That would be cool Druidh – if I get out to teh hills before the wind arrives I will get home very quickly.

I think you guys should make a regular date for a night ride and stik with it

druidh
    Free Member

Did you follow the link Teej? Think I should cycle in that day too

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I did Druidh a nice lull around 6 pm to get out to the hills and a gentle breeze to get me home around 9pm

druidh
    Free Member

😀

Kit
    Free Member

Mark made some pathetic excuse about keeping his mum happy and having to work and stuff. Honestly, some people 🙄

I was going to try and organise a Pentlands Christmas ride and drinks, but I'm not really feeling it since I got hit, so not making any commitments yet. That, and my bike is lovely and clean.

Northwind

I think my regular wednesday night rides are off til the new year so up for this myself, just say where and when…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Count me in for a Wednesday ride.

Kit – are you on the mend? How's the bike?

Kit
    Free Member

I'm mostly on the mend – got a sore foot, bizarely. Bike is in the capable hands of thebikechain, I'm currently waiting on the insurance company sending me a cheque!

Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

Hi all,

I'm new to this. I was out on Wed in the pentlands. Left harlaw at 6. It was super calm, hardly a breeze at all. I saw 2 other lights heading up towards West Kip as I was returning to Harlaw. Other than that, all quiet.

I'd be up for this Wed again.

Martin.

Gordy
    Free Member

I'm new to this as well but I can do Wednesday if anybody's going.

AlasdairMc

I'm out tomorrow night from Balerno, meeting Hamish (can't remember his username) at 7 near the lower Scotmid.

Al

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I can't make tuesday but would be interested in a wed ride

ojom
    Free Member

I would but this week is a biggy for us. May be a few late nights…
    Oh and my mother has announced she has osteo arthritis so she needs cuddles and decs put up and stuff. Plus my GF seems to be booking stuff for me to do…

Let you know.

Md

coogan
    Free Member

FAKES!

Northwind

Huh, I was going to push for a wednesday ride but just remembered I have a driving lesson 😛

jimmy

Incidentally, was anyone up the Pentlands last riday in the day time? Went for a run (why didn't I take the bike??) and while Edinburgh was bathed in fog, it was an inversion of some kind and from the Pentlands the view was a completely white sea all the way to the Ochills with clear blue sunny skies. I was blown away by it – if anyone has pictures I'd love to see em.

Speaking of pics, and if Hamish is on here, where's that monstrosity of an Enduro you took a pic of at GT ladt weekend? Deserves posting up…

AlasdairMc

jimmy – was that his Enduro perchance?

Unsure if he's on here, but I'll ask him tonight anyway.

robgarrioch

Got a couple of pics from the top of Allermuir on Saturday at dusk, fog was only just clearing though, so just got the hill tops emerging from the soup. Will post up later if they're any good.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Jimmy I have a few pics from GT on saturday, it was the same thing. Blue skies, no wind, with cloud lying in the valley – perfect! I'll get them up shortly.
    Mark

Gordy
    Free Member

I'll probaby be up there about eight. Will try to check the thread later to see if anybody else is going.

ml
    Free Member

@Gordy: How far do you plan to go/how long do you plan to be out, from where and how hardcore are you? 🙂

Gordy
    Free Member

Not hardcore at all but I did try the slab at Dalbeattie on my first go so I'm not chicken either. Just about to go outside and take the slicks off so that gives some idea of my offroad experience. I thought I'd just see how it went really.

Sorry if that doesn't sound very organised but I didn't think anybody else was coming. I've emailed you a mobile number. Shout if you get it soon enough. ETA looks more like 8:15 now.

Gordy
    Free Member

Thanks for the call, Martin. Sorry you couldn't make it in the end.

Was quite muddy! :O)

druidh
    Free Member

Looking forward to it freezing again as my riding time is a bit sparse at the moment. The option of a quick blast form home appeals.

Gordy
    Free Member

Either dry or freezing would certainly be better. Bikes are unfortunately making a right arse of some of the paths.

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – and I won't cycle there while that remains the case.

"With access comes responsibility…."

Thanks for the feedback btw 😉

Gordy
    Free Member

Oh, you're one of that lot. You're welcome. :O)

I might scout about a bit and see what paths are going to be okay. Harlaw to Threipmuir should be fine, as should Bavelaw to The Howe IIRC. The road down to to Glencorse is obviously fine, then up to Castlelaw and over the side of Allermuir on the big track there, though the Howden Burn track was pretty eroded as well last time I saw it. If there's a workable way through to Bonaly (which I'm not sure there is) then I could get back to the start via Torduff and Clubbiedean reservoirs.

Hard work some of that but who takes a bike into the hills for an easy life, eh.

Might be more fun to do Harlaw -> Threipmuir -> Bavelaw -> The Howe -> Flotterstone -> couple of pints -> Return by same. Anybody know if the pub is happy to let muddy bikers in?

robgarrioch

Your first one's pretty much the route I've been using when it's soft Gordy; you could take the army road down from Allermuir, then skirt the bypass back to bonaly (sticky), or there's a couple of tracks down from Capelaw / Howden burn -most suitable on the north slope down to the gate, then east to Bonaly Reservoir & puke hill.
    Supposed to be seriously frosty in the next few nights – you might get your chance, Onion!

Gordy
    Free Member

Cheers, Rob.

Funnily enough, the Maiden's Cleugh path is marked as a surfaced path suitable for cycling on the cooncil's Pentlands cycling map.

robgarrioch

Maidens? I'm confused (again) over which is which. Druidh Onion fabricated a good Pentlands map which I'm struggling to locate, if Maidens is the 'middle' one (Harlaw centre – Glencorse reservoir) then aye, it's stone all the way, & a good climb. Coming over south road on Castlelaw could be more interesting though. Phantoms (off maidens to Bonaly) is generally a muddy mess & somehow not fun.
    Will be hoping to do a few day / night rides after the 28th once I'm back in town if you fancy it – posting up here as usual…!

druidh
    Free Member

That's the one. EUCC used it without my permission (not that it's actually Copyright or owt, but it would have been ice of them to ask). I decided to take my original one offline as some of the paths were getting trashed and I felt a little responsible for highlighting where they were. I've been known to send an updated version to folk that ask nicely 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘So, did a regular Pentlands evening ride emerge from that one the other week?’ is closed to new replies.