Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • So – Christ at "Christmas"
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I live in Accrington, so the chances are pretty slim of stumbling across three wise men and a virgin

I was recently in Accrington. Can’t believe that cow lied to me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

joao3v16
    appears to be winning so far 🙂

Just a bit of fun guys 🙂 believe or not.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Absolutely none whatsoever.

I win.

mefty
    Free Member

Christmas cards sent out are ones produced by local church, will go to church two or three times over the weekend, once at least to Mass. Decorations include a Star on top of the tree and a crib.

Can’t imagine celebrating Christmas without going to a Church Service.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh **** – mefty is well in the lead

johnners
    Free Member

Just a bit of fun guys believe or not.

not.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

My life size Jesus model has broken.

I’ll get it fixed it up by Easter.

mefty
    Free Member

Oh **** – mefty is well in the lead

You should put those stars on top of your tree.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Can’t imagine celebrating Christmas without going to a Church Service.

Try.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

star on top of the tree, full-on nativity advent calendar and a daily reading of “the first christmas” story for my son.

and I’ll be going to church on sunday 🙂

prezet
    Free Member

I have 2 kidnapped carol singers and jehovah witness tied up under the tree…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oi – woppit! Behave

Prezet – I am not sure thats really the right way.

prezet
    Free Member

Prezet – I am not sure thats really the right way.

I don’t really, before anyone calls the police… honest 😆

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Following on from the Christian thread I thought this might be interesting. Who has any Christian symbols at their festivities?

Half a point for an angel on the tree, points for cards with nativiuty scenes or jesus on them bonus points for a nativity scene or saying grace before your meal extra bonus points for going to church

Remember trees. yule logs, santa, raindeer are not Christian

In all seriousness, what is the point in this?

Just so you can point out a so-called version of hypocrisy?

emsz
    Free Member

Probabably got loads of religious cards if I could be arsed to think about it. Fairy is Xmas barbie ( she’s got dyed black/red/ green hair and no legs).

But me and Sara are taking my gran to midnight mass and we’ll belt out the tunes, don’t care if the vicar gives us funny looks.

Xmas is about families and getting together the symbols are meaningless really

ir_bandito
    Free Member

But, despite my comments above, I still celebrate it as a pagan mid-winter festival, with a “modern” (2000 year old) twist.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fervoured image. Partly out of interest to see, partly so folk can have some fun with it. Nothing more.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Fervoured image. Partly out of interest to see, partly so folk can have some fun with it. Nothing more.

Are you sure? 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes.

TooTall
    Free Member

Competitive Christianity under rules set by TJ.

This is a new low. 😥

Cougar

I thought it was an interesting question, myself.

Northwind

fervouredimage – Member

In all seriousness, what is the point in this?

Well, as far as I’m concerned the entire internet today is exclusively for the purpose of getting through the day, when there’s no work to do.

So.

We have a blob on the tree, which is almost recognisably a star- family heirloom that’s been rebuilt with extra tinsel so often that any militant atheists could reinterpret it as being a festive FSM, a fish with legs, a cog in a watch made by a blind man, or the first multi-celled organism. But by family dogma it is officially a star.

And I imagine there’s christian scenes on some of the cards though they seem a bit unrepresentative since you don’t choose your own?

mrmo
    Free Member

the cards on the desk in front of me, santa, penguin, snow man, 3 kings, reindeer, bells, and christmas trees.

And robins????

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Happy to say that I will score lots of points on TJ’s scale (troll or not :wink:) but think points is the wrong word. The reality is that celebrating Christmas for its “real” significance avoids the angst that so many feel over this period – it is not about spending too much money, worshipping consumerism etc.

But then again – “proper” religion (in whatever form) is about finding a path to peace. It just that too many people fail to see that.

So Merry Christmas to all who believe, best wishes to those who don’t and goodwill to everyone – even the trolls!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

But then again – “proper” religion (in whatever form) is about finding a path to peace.

Not getting flown into buildings, then..

Kryton57

trailmonkey – Member

we flagellate with holly at this time of year does that make me less of a christian ?

Holly who?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – no exactly, that is the key distinction!

finbar
    Free Member

We’ve got a nativity scene out, and it was brought back from the old country (Poland). Bonus point?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Mr Woppit – no exactly, that is the key distinction!

Any other religions you don’t consider “proper”?

Nick

I’m an Atheist, my wife is a Christian, we’ll be off to the Christingle service tomorrow night, I like a bit of Silent Night at Christmas.

Coyote
    Free Member

Oh look. Here’s Woppit spreading enlightenment. How unexpected.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I try. I don’t get ANY thanks…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Woppit – go troll your own thread or the huge long Christianity one. this was supposed to be light and frothy

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh, hello TJ. No thanks. Merry Xmas.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I dont know any religions that advocate flying planes into buildings. I hope that you are not implying that this is part of Islam? There is a core to most religions that focuses on a path to peace and hapiness. Sadly there is a lot of misinterpretation and mis-representation at the periphery.

So I haven’t said that any religion is either proper or not. But anyway, who cares, tis the season of goodwill.

Back to Xmas Latte as TJ implies!!

globalti
    Free Member

On a hill called The Coppice above Accrington there used to be a stone cross. Sadly now all that remains is the base where, a couple of years ago I and two others cyclists from Cycle Chat came across a very fat Accrington lass, drawers around her ankles, bending over the base of the cross and a gentleman standing behind her making thrusting movements. As we cycled past trying to ignore them she shouted “Eh you fookers, ain’t you comin’ over for some?” and as we rode down the hill we passed three other young men clearly not dressed for a country walk and heading up hill looking furtive.

A great town, is Accrington.

yunki
    Free Member

A great town, is Accrington.

awwwwww… now that’s a lovely, heartwarming Christmas story…

Cougar

On a hill called The Coppice above Accrington

I used to launch rockets up there.

Seems I wasn’t the only one.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’ve not yet felt festive 🙁

no tree, no decorations, sent 3 cards and received 1…

will be working tomorrow morning/early afternoon too.

might head out for dinner with mates in the evening though 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘So – Christ at "Christmas"’ is closed to new replies.