Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • So – Christ at "Christmas"
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Following on from the Christian thread I thought this might be interesting. Who has any Christian symbols at their festivities?

Half a point for an angel on the tree, points for cards with nativiuty scenes or jesus on them bonus points for a nativity scene or saying grace before your meal extra bonus points for going to church

Remember trees. yule logs, santa, raindeer are not Christian

trailmonkey

Remember trees. yule logs, santa, raindeer are not Christian

we flagellate with holly at this time of year does that make me less of a christian ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They do like a bit of mortification of the flesh don’t they?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have no idea – we buy things if they look nice – there is never any consideration as to whether they have any religious meaning or not – the thought would never cross my mind.

I am 100% Atheist.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*edited….pending further consideration….*

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not just a troll. I thought it would be interesting to see how many folk actually do. Got your nativity scene up CFH?

scaredypants

I’m not taken in by symbolism of any kind – I’m immune to the whole “imagery” thing

globalti
    Free Member

The Victorians invented Christmas, same as they invented kilts and all that Scottish stuff.

sc-xc

I thought Coke invented Jesus?

trailmonkey

i don’t see anything wrong in the mild hypocrisy involved in atheists celebrating christmas or displaying christian imagery.

it’s all about our diversity and history. we take things in, adapt them, use them. no problem.

philconsequence
    Free Member

as a devout consumer i worship the great god Santy Claws

trailmonkey

*coffee snort*

Harry_the_Spider

Half a point for an angel on the tree

I’ll have half a point then.

We do however have a star thing that looks like a pentangle, so half a point off.

joao3v16
    Free Member

HRH and I are both 100% Christian.

We have none of the ‘religious’ stuff around the house.
    We aren’t going to our church this Sunday.

We will say grace.

Don’t know how many points that works out at. Not a lot I imagine. 🙂

oddjob
    Free Member

I just enjoy the opportunity to indulge in blatant consumerism and laugh at the catholic education my son is getting. It’s ridiculous on every level.

I was struck the other day by the fact that we are supporting his belief in God (well his mother and school are) and Father Christmas, but at some point we give up on poor old father christmas and just stick to the other non-existent bloke with a beard!

crankboy
    Free Member

0 points here 100% traditional real sol invictus in our house with no modern religious tat what so ever.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’m immune to the whole “imagery” thing

Ohh you 8)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have a red star atop my tree – seriously! Bought it with the new red decorations, put it up and thought “hmmm” does remind me of ernie though!

Sue_W
    Free Member

For me, it’s not a Christian festival, so no religious connotations or symbols.

I celebrate it as a time of light in the dark point of the year, a time of sharing and giving with friends and family, and remembering to reflect and be thankful for all the good things in my life. So I happily deck the house with lights, candles and greenery; and a smogasborg of food and drink to share.

I don’t think it matters why you celibrate, whether you have Christian symbols or not, or that it means different things to different people(and I don’t think it’s a problem in non-Christians have Christian symbols in their decorations as for many people these are cultural / traditional rather than religious).

I just think it’s good to make the most of opportunities for happiness in our lives 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

I just think it’s good to make the most of opportunities for happiness in our lives

*nods in agreement*

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TJ in Lazarus-like Dead Thread revival…

Peyote
    Free Member

We need more specific criteria TJ, is a five pointed star (of whatever colour) Christian because it represents the star the wise men followed? Or Pagan because fo the pentagram element? The angel on the top of the tree often morphs into a fairy so does that mean another conflict between Christian and Pagan?

Also, wasn’t Santa Saint Nicholas at one point? Was he not a Christian? Or is it the old Green Santa from Bavaria?

That’s the trouble with these modern festivals, too much duality when you start to look into it.

sc-xc

Christmas time, Mistletoe[s] and[/s] Wine
    Children singing Christian rhyme
    With logs on the fire and gifts on the tree
    A time to rejoice in the good that we see

I score 2. Kids and alcohol.

hels
    Free Member

I like Renaissance Art so have quite a few religious pics on the walls anyway, and a print of the Issenheim alterpiece a personal fave.

I hang some tinsel on them at Christmas (I was raised an atheist second generation, although as my dad was always keen to stress, a Protestant Atheist, but that was cos his parents were very churchy and from the Islands)

I like Christmas cos it’s cheery.

scaredypants

funnily enough 🙄 – on the subject of cards, we have only 3 that are “religious” and one of those is borderline so maybe things are becoming more secularisedishnessified

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Not just a troll.

So it is a troll then?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

We’ll be recreating the Christmas nativity again this year.

I play Jesus, obviously.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Growing up a catholic in Ireland, I’m used to living in an organised hypocrisy.

It happens all year, people getting married in a church they never attend, christenings, confirmations. I find it all very hypocritical, but hey, there are bigger things to worry about. My shouty atheist days are behind me.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I play Jesus, obviously.

What happens at Easter? 😆

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What happens at Easter?

I play the rabbit.

nealglover
    Free Member

So it is a troll then?

Of course it is.

And an potential opportunity to be all superior and tell people “that’s not Christian” if they get something slightly wrong.

Cougar

I have a star on top of the tree. Why? It’s pretty. It also has blue LEDs as a traditional tribute to, er, Jesus’s unconditional love for the Honda Civic.

There are presents under the tree, but to the best of my knowledge they do not contain gold, frankinstein or mhyrr.

I live in Accrington, so the chances are pretty slim of stumbling across three wise men and a virgin.

Cougar

What happens at Easter?

Zombie Jesus.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

we have this on top of our tree…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I have a life sized model of Jesus in the corner of my living room.

I didn’t bother with a tree, it just seemed a bit much.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I play the rabbit.

I bet you do TSY, I bet you do…. 😆

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s almost like you watched me Xmas shopping…

trailmonkey

I have a life sized model of Jesus in the corner of my living room.

I didn’t bother with a tree, it just seemed a bit much.

post of the year 😆

fervouredimage
    Free Member

post of the year

😆 And I only signed up today. I’m off to a good start. 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I live in Accrington, so the chances are pretty slim of stumbling across three wise men and a virgin.

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘So – Christ at "Christmas"’ is closed to new replies.