Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • So, can anyone spot the difference…
  • oliverracing

With my basic but functional knowledge of the German language I’m smuggling to tell why one of these hubs is €13 cheaper than the other (and why one there is such a spread in price between the rest?)

So what am I missing?

€79.50 Hub

€89.00 Hub

€92.50 Hub

Even with postage the €79.50 one is still £10 cheaper than the cheapest I can find in the Uk! (Ubyk for those that were wondering)

ThePinkster

I’d guess it’s down to the internals rather than the hub itself.

The more expensive one is 25 grams heavier which to me would imply possibly better quality components, e.g. magnets, coil, connectors etc, so maybe a bit more resilient to knocks, etc.

You could always try clicking on the ‘ask About This Product’ button and ask them?

scotroutes

First one is the (older?) SP8, not the PD8.

Either way, I’d be looking for a PD-8X these days as that will do 15mm axles.

oliverracing

First one is the (older?) SP8, not the PD8.

Genius – I knew it would be something glaringly obvious (and in not to do with the English-German translation) I’ve also realised the Ubyk link is an SP8 too

Now the difference between the 2nd and 3rd…

oliverracing

So a quick google suggests the 112232017 is 32 hole and the 112236005 is the 36 hole version.

Thanks for the help 😀

unovolo
    Free Member

If you enlarge the pics you will notice some measurements printed on the centre of the hubs which appear to be for ERD(rim diameter)although I could be wrong as to the significance.
    Put simply the cheaper one is suited to smaller wheels and the most expensive for larger wheels.

CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, the SD8 is designed for smaller wheels, ie 20″ wheels on folding bikes etc. Because they spin around faster, its designed to generate enough power from this. So its less drag and the hub is lighter weight.
    You could use the small hub in a 26″/700C wheel, but it won’t give you as much power. So you would have to be going faster to get full brightness from your lights.

So if you want bright lights on a 26″/700C wheel, best to use the PD8. Its pretty lightweight anyway.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘So, can anyone spot the difference…’ is closed to new replies.