Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • So called and other media labels
  • hammerite
    Free Member

Do the BBC and other media outlets have to keep referring to Islamic State as “so called”? I think we all know that they’re not really an Islamic State and have no real mandate from the majority of Muslims.
    It continues as something else completely unrelated was referred to as “so called” on the news this morning.

Poor Milly Dowler and Stephen Lawrence seem to have been referred as “the murdered teenager (insert name)” for years now whenever mentioned on the news. Why can’t just their names be used?

hammerite
    Free Member

Btw I know this is a mild rant so expect a low score from the usual judges.

maccruiskeen

Theres a journalistic shorthand of prefixing everyone – in day to day news stories theres usually more than one side to an issue and you have to habitually establish which side of the story they’re on, as unless people are household names you need to have a steer on where everyone fits in the story – cop or robber, tory or labour, mod or rocker, so out of habit pretty much any mention of anyone is accompanied by a descriptive phrase – even if its fairly non-descriptive (their age, gender, hair colour). A friend of mine is often mentioned in new stories and gets really wound up by always being pre-fixed ‘mother of two’. In her words ‘Whats wrong with ‘blonde bombshell’?”

“the murdered teenager (insert name)” for years now whenever mentioned on the news. Why can’t just their names be used?

with rare the exceptions like my GF who we’re pretty sure is the only person with her name in the world, you can usually expect that there are at least a few people sharing the same name.

hammerite
    Free Member

Whoops, I even did a search for “so called” to see whether anyone else had similar thoughts.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rest assured the BBC have agonised over what to call IS.

Regarding other media labels, they’re usually just the most efficient way of sharing the info or giving a picture of someone’s life.

Read a news story with them crossed out and I bet it seems weird or leaves questions begged.

Regards,
    Chakaping, dad of two and embittered former news journalist.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So-called austerity…

aracer
    Free Member

So called mountain bike forum

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘So called and other media labels’ is closed to new replies.