Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • So Boost- I'm confused!!
  • fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I appreciate this has probably been covered over the months but I have some questions: Let’s suppose I buy a Boost 29er frame, can I:
    1. Adapt a pair of my current 29er wheels to fit in the frame? I have either DT Swiss 240 hubs or Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs.
    I know I can fit non Boost forks so the front wheel would be fine- it’s the rear that is the issue.
    2. Do I need different cranks/BB or will my current ones fit? I have either XTR970 or XT785 (I think)
    3. Anything else I need to consider? I’m guessing everything else will swap ok?
    4. If I need new wheels anyone know of any deals on Boost wheels and forks?

Cheers
    Steve

BoardinBob

To adjust your existing wheels

Boostinator

sillyoldman

Check with Hope, but I know that DT expressly say not to use the Boostinator on their hubs. They’re super light hubs, and the Boostinator changes the loads that the hub parts experience, to the point where they won’t condone its use.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I have just done this to a new 29er hardtail frame. The front wheel has stayed non boost but the rear wheel, a DT swiss 350 hub was converted using the boostinator kit (linked above). I had to buy new cranks as the granny tabs of the older ones I had fouled the chainstay but otherwise it looked fine, and chainring was just fitted to the outside tabs to get the desired chainline.

al2000

Useful (and potentially expensive..) information on 1x boost setups and crank compatibility here :

http://int.oneupcomponents.com/pages/understanding-chainline-for-optimal-1x-conversions-boost-and-non-boost

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Wouldn’t converting none boost wheels to fit a boost frame miss the whole point of boost completely?

roverpig

Wouldn’t converting none boost wheels to fit a boost frame miss the whole point of boost completely?

It would indeed, since the whole point of boost is to stop you using your old wheels, so you have to buy new ones 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

neilsonwheels – Member

Yes and no. The idea is to move the flanges apart to make a stronger wheel (whether it’s needed or not is debatable).

However, a boostinstor kit moves the drive side flange away from the centre line and the non drive side towards it. This requires a redish of a couple of mm but makes the spoke angles more even and so makes a stronger wheel than it was originally.

jekkyl

biscuit or caramel?

zer0cool
    Free Member

Argh, Another new standard. Im just looking at my first 650b, was checking out some good deals on some 2016 deals (non-boost), now dont know if these will be obsolete. Confused too.

mb51
    Free Member

Same as everything in life always changing, always evolving. But with bikes if you stand still you don’t sell bikes.nothing wrong with 12×142 most bikes have that now.really if you want deals for a hardtail 26″ qr 9mm 135mm hubs , 10speed 2x ( Really nothing wrong with 2x),1? forks is where your find real deals.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I’ve contacted Hope and, similarly to what sillyboardman said above re DTSwiss hubs, they wouldn’t recommend Boostinator but said they hadn’t tried it but that it would nullify any warranty on the hub due to the increase load on the disc flange by the longer bolts.
    Cheers
    Steve

BoardinBob

Companies that make hubs saying don’t use something that avoids you having to buy new hubs.

There’s a shocker!

ads678

To be fair to Hope, they’re usually pretty good at making convertors for their hubs so if they thought it was ok to use one, you’d think they’d make one.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I can see what Boardin Bob is saying but also what ads678 says is very true. Hopefully if the were planning something they would give a heads up? But maybe not!
    Cheers
    Steve

bungalistic
    Free Member

If you just send back a wrecked hub on its own how would they know it’s been used with a boostinator kit?

The kit is the cheapest way to continue to use your current components, you can always get a new boost hub later if you feel so inclined.

So far no wrecked hub using my boostinator kit. worth the risk I say.

Onzadog
    Free Member

How much would a new hope shell and axle cost?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

in reality what are the chances of wrecking a hub with a boostinator kit? I can’t imagine people are generating enough force to catastrophically fail a hub. the front hub has narrower flange widths and i’d be surprised the angle of the disc side spokes are that different to a re-dished boostinatored wheel and you are able to generate alot more braking HP/torque from the front than the rear.

russyh
    Free Member

I have been running a boostinator kit on my DT Swiss 1501’s in 650b flavour for over a month now. Including 2 trips to BPW and Afan as well as DH trails at FOD . I have neither died year nor had any issues whatsoever. The only issue I have had in fact was the crappy handle on my maxle snapping off. But that’s SRAM crap and not related in anyway

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘So Boost- I'm confused!!’ is closed to new replies.