Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • so, bb7 brakes…..
  • ton

are fantastic when compared to bb5’s……… 😀 no?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yes

sweepy
    Free Member

I suspect you did that on purpose

kinda666
    Free Member

Yes..

Got them on three bikes, nearly as good as hydraulics when set up properly..

deft
    Free Member

When I set mine up I thought it was logical just to wind both pads in as far as possible without them rubbing. They seem to work fine.

When I look at the instructions though it talks about having a larger gap to the inside pad. Why? Only the outside pad moves, so surely you are just asking the rotor to flex further before the inside pad engages?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Deserving of fist pie, this is.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Mtb or road ……road bb7s on my Fargo ..don’t seem too great …better that V- brakes but not as good as hydrolic..

cliffyc
    Free Member

I have BB7 and find not far off the stopping power of hydraulics,so no issues here.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my bb5 is fine – easily comparable to bb7 on the other bike. don’t get it?!

zerocool

What’s the point of cable discs when decent hydro discs exist? This is not a Troll, I am just wondering

Tom KP

AlexSimon

Drop handlebar brake levers for one reason zerocool.

jeffm
    Free Member

Yes, much better. Replaced bb5 for bb7 on my cx bike.
    I mostly use pussy brakes on the tops which work better than the sram rival drop brake levers.

ton

What’s the point of cable discs when decent hydro discs exist? This is not a Troll, I am just wondering

because I can strip, clean and service cable disc calipers, but I would not want to start trying to service anything with oil in. and don’t want to take my brakes to a shop when they need servicing.

D0NK

When I look at the instructions though it talks about having a larger gap to the inside pad. Why?

dunno, I ignore the instructions, equal distance for me too.

tomhoward

When I look at the instructions

You just lost any man (assuming you are one in the first place) points you had, and invalidated any opinions you had on any subject ever.

Remember, only once all else has failed should you then refer to any instructions.

takisawa2

When set up well the BB5’s are good, but BB7’s are way way better.

Keef
    Free Member

what’s all this talk of ‘instructions’ ? pft…..

zerocool

Fair enough, I assumed they were for mtb not road bikes

highlandman
    Free Member

Cables on a tandem are grand, safer than hydraulic when heat build up might become an issue. Have BB5 on ours and can easily haul tandem and cargo trailer to a rapid halt with single finger on front (203) brake alone. Not sure I’d be able to do that with any hydraulic brake without boiling it!

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I have BB5s on the commuter and BB7s on the MTBs. I prefer the BB7s – IMO they have better stopping power and require less tweaking to keep in top order. Regardless both are fine when set up correctly.

If you do need instructions on how to set up BB7s get them here

Of course I have never used these instructions so can’t comment on whether they are any good 😉

Remember, only once all else has failed should you then refer to any instructions.

Is that before or after taking the part that is in bits to yous LBS for some piss taking?

Without instructions, my mate once took a SRAM shifter apart as it wasn’t working well. He then couldn’t put the thing back together again. So he proceeded to take the other (working perfectly) shifter apart to see how it fitted together. Great plan! Id have loved to be in the bike shop when he turned up to explain why he wanted them to re-build his shifters 😆

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Same reasons as Ton, and I’m sure Al wherever he is.

The caliper can be disassembled and rebuilt in minutes. A well set up system offers excellent stopping power while replacing cables/pads costs hee haw. And I can pull my brake lever with the bike vertical without instigating a bleed. Etc.

What instructions?

ratadog

BB7s on the better bike and bb5s on the folder/winter bike. 7s marginally better for the stuff I do but like ton I have gone for the no faff home mechanic solution.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

BB7’s are worth the little extra over BB5’s,

You can adjust the inner pads easier on BB7’s with the inner screw thing. You will get fed up of adjusting the brakes on the bolts as the inner pads wear out on a gritty ride with the BB5’s.

Why cable?
    Almost as good as the very best hydraulic brakes, easy to set up, cheaper, maintain and Superstar BB5 & 7 pads last for ages.
    If you go down hill super fast use hydraulics, if you tour or XC but not to aggressively you won’t go wrong with BB7’s

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘so, bb7 brakes…..’ is closed to new replies.