• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • So are there any reaosns I shouldn't go for a Codeine ?
  • emac65
    Free Member

In the market for a new frame this year & keep coming back to this one.I’ve read all the reviews,but people rarely slag off their own bikes,so has anyone had one & just hated it ? If so,why ?

I’m already a 29er convert & have been for several years now so forget saying the stupid clown wheels…

Cheers in advance 😉

andylc
    Free Member

stupid clown wheels

TPTcruiser

Codeine bungs you up, you need to eat plenty of fruit to compensate and keep regular.

chakaping
    Free Member

I didn’t get one ‘cos I wanted 2×10. And everyone says it’s a bit heavy.

I’m presenting these reasons without comment, I’m sure it’s still an ace bike!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I didn’t get one ‘cos I wanted 2×10. And everyone says it’s a bit heavy.

Ditto, looked nice but wanted something a bit lighter. 1×11 wasnt a total deal breaker for me but I would have preferred something that at least gave the option.

matt007
    Free Member

I was looking at trying bigger wheels having been on 26″ only beforehand, other than a 29er charge cooker for taking the kid out on (cross bar mounted seat).

Being 15 1/2 stone I liked the bits in the reviews about it being stiff, and I doubt a few lb’s extra bike will bother me. A few people commented theirs are around the 30lb and a bit mark, which really isnt bad anyway as far as im concerned.

For the price and obviously having the CCDB included in that I couldnt really sway myself towards anything else. I would have loved an Enduro 29er being a spesh fan, but £3k for the s-works frame??!?! and I wasnt that impressed with the spec of the comp or elite for the money. I figured I could have built an s-works frame with used and discount parts for the price of an expert if id gone that route.

Currently shopping around for discount or nice used parts to build the codeine frame I have now bought. I was really pleasantly surprised by the finish of the frame for the money. Mine arrived with no shock by accident, but on-one sorted it within 2 days, just sent me one in the post. Got a long weekend at afan / BPW coming up in feb to give it a good test. Recon I’m goint to bring the build in at around the £1800 mark.

matt007
    Free Member

Oh, and ive run 1×10 on my previous stumpy 26 and other bikes for years in 34×11-36 config, and wouldnt want a front double anyway, I recon 32×11-36 will do fine.

skellnonch
    Free Member

Mine’s 1 x 10, 30 x 42, weighs about 30lb… I like it a lot, great for hooning down stuff, very stable & predictable and climbs well – done many all-dayers on it in the peaks & recently spent 2 weeks in India with Mike the the bike at mountain bike Kerala.

The downsides:

Paint is a little iffy on mine (got a blue one, 1st batch) tends to chip very easily – they may have sorted this out now though.

Its a bit of a barge in really tight switchbacks, and quite high – despite having a dropper I found still needed to undo the clamp & physically drop the post as low as poss in some of the stupidly techy sections…

Other than that it’s fun! fun! fun!

konanige

have been riding codeine for 5 months now, not sure what skellnoch means by high, I tried enduro 29 but found I felt perched on top but on the codeine I feel like I’m ‘in’ the bike to coin a phrase. The only way I can describe it is , its like being on a mini downhill rig

iolo
    Free Member

Does the mini downhill rig go back up the hill?

konanige

it does indeed,like a mountain goat. its no uphill rocket but that could just be the fault of my lardy ass 😀

br
    Free Member

Depends how tall you are, as I found a large too small.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘So are there any reaosns I shouldn't go for a Codeine ?’ is closed to new replies.