Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • so are interest rates going to go up?
  • organic355
    Free Member

as above, interested as I have a fixed rate mortgage.

No.
    Surely you would only be interested if you had a variable, like myself?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

not yet and probably not significantly for a while. cuts pushing us back into recession makes it unlikely. Perhaps if its a lot worse than in the euro zone and the pound falls further rates will climb

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Maybe

Radioman

No not for some time ..at least another year…IMO

oxnop
    Free Member

Im currently working on my companies contingency process for when this so called 'bubble bursts', its pretty much all i've been working on for the past 3 weeks (including 9 hrs today) up until a month ago we were geared up for a base rate change midway through September. Our chief economist now states that we should be planning for November at the earliest. Our CEcon knows his stuff + our CExec is now on the board of the MPC.

(none of these people have a crystal ball IMO)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

none of these people have a crystal ball IMO

You don't need a crystal ball to figure out there's only one direction that interest rates can go.

Although I quite like the idea of charging the lender 8)

oxnop
    Free Member

You don't need a crystal ball to figure out there's only one direction that interest rates can go.

Yep – quite right.

But knowing when the interest rates may go up is big business currently & i'm sure a majority of the population would actually like to have an idea of when the BOE rate may change. Myself included – as I'll potentially need to increase my current staffing levels by 20% which is around 40 people – all these people need to be trained which takes 8 weeks hence the importance of what i'm working on (i wish someone could give me the definitive answer)

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

They will go up, I think, but modestly. perhaps only at 2% in 2 years. I've just signed for a tracker @1.99% above base today after hearing the budget. if I'm paying 3.99% in 2 years I'll be happy, but I'm very happy with 2.49% for now.

bigsi
    Free Member

Saw that one of the think tanks was predicting that BoE base rate would remain at 0.5% until late in 2012 but if your on SVR and so not linked to BoE the lenders could put their rate up just because they need/want to like a few did late last year/early this.

I hope its sooner rather than later as it means business might pick up for me then 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

Although I quite like the idea of charging the lender

GG during 2009 some US bonds were being bought above face value – i.e. investors were happy to lose 50c or a $1 in $100 for the comfort of getting their money back from a AAA rated treasury. In other words, the US were charging their lenders to lend to them. Lucky buggers.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Yes they'll go up but not yet, quite possible that we'll see some movement next year although it is likely to be a prolonged period of smaller rate rises as opposed to a short sharp shock, particularly as the recovery is likely to be fragile and the fact that inflation is expected to fall back significantly. Today's budget will also lessen the need for rate rises by effectively taking money back out of the system.
    It's all guesswork though – I doubt the Bank of England even know when they'll raise rates yet!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘so are interest rates going to go up?’ is closed to new replies.