Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • So anyone avoiding Amazon, Starbucks and the like?
  • robdixon
    Free Member

Ecotricity also extract massive subsidies to operate windmills in places where there’s no wind – the £134K annual subsidy to operate the turbine by the M4 in Reading is a prime example. The owner of Ecotricity, Vince something, also likes to lecture everyone on renewal energy and doing their bit whilst himself swanning round in gas guzzling company Range Rover.

andyrm
    Free Member

I think this whole “boycott” argument is often fuelled by a very cheap, lazy journalistic crusade by crap media that relies on “outrage” stories.

Do you have a pension? If so, it is likely that your pension fund will have some investment in major corporations like these. Be totally selfish here – do you want enough money to retire on, or would you prefer a moral stance but poverty? That’s one set of choices.

On a personal note I work for a tech firm that was invested into (to the tune of tens of millions) by a major corporate. As a result, we have created 80+ jobs in the UK alone in 10 months, with something like 20 more in 2 other European countries. So some of the tax saved has been reinvested into serious growth on a local level. Where does this leave the moral guardians? I’d be interested to know your thoughts 🙂

trailmonkey

because we all know that when this lot are voted out

………….

there will be another bunch of economic neo-liberals voted in that will do absolutely bugger all to rectify the situation.

ransos
    Free Member

Ecotricity also extract massive subsidies to operate windmills in places where there’s no wind – the £134K annual subsidy to operate the turbine by the M4 in Reading is a prime example.

Public subsidy is available for various forms of energy generation. For example, Osborne has just spunked £5 billion of our money on gas.

As for the M4 turbine, you shouldn’t believe everything you read in the Daily Mail. It has apparently generated just shy of 3 million KWh of electricity since it was built. Not bad for a site with no wind…

binners

there will be another bunch of economic neo-liberals voted in that will do absolutely bugger all to rectify the situation.

Exactly. Same as the last lot. Its just a revolving door, gravy train. None of whom give a flying one about the electorate, whatever their proclaimed leanings.

Would you like your huge shit sandwich with ketchup or brown sauce?

molgrips
    Free Member

Ecotricity also extract massive subsidies to operate windmills in places where there’s no wind – the £134K annual subsidy to operate the turbine by the M4 in Reading is a prime example.

So why’s it turning almost every time I drive past it? Maybe one of the mal-treated employees is in there turning a handle?

Ok so that’s flippant, it probably isn’t a prime location for a turbine but it’s intended to be a local power source for that business park isn’t it? Local power generation is a good idea in principle I reckon.

Seriously though – what’s this about maltreating employees?

robdixon
    Free Member

ransos, a real indicator is the number of times I drive to / from work and that turbine is not moving. The fact is that even with a peppercorn rent from Green Park, we actually have to spend £2k a week just to keep it in operation. Bonkers.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have never had any problem avoiding Amazon, Starbucks and the like tbh

ransos
    Free Member

ransos, a real indicator is the number of times I drive to / from work and that turbine is not moving. The fact is that even with a peppercorn rent from Green Park, we actually have to spend £2k a week just to keep it in operation. Bonkers.

No, the real indicator is how much electricity it generates, which is rather more than the zero you were claiming. 3 million units more, in fact.

jfletch
    Free Member

It’s actually the opposite. Corporate tax rates are lower in the US than here

False. The corporation tax rate in the UK is 24. In the USA its 40, the highest rate anywhere in the world. The USA is one of the most expensive places to make money. They can get away with it as its also the place you can make the most money (and the also have relatively low payroll and sales taxes etc.)

The fact that our government don’t think we can get away with it and in the last 4 years have actually dropped the rate from 30% to 24% is mind boggling. In fact every other economy in the top 10 by GDP has a higher rate of corporation tax than us. Most are above 30.

Data from KMPG.
    http://www.kpmg.com/global/en/services/tax/tax-tools-and-resources/pages/corporate-tax-rates-table.aspx

atlaz
    Free Member

What loophole is this? They charge 19% VAT in Germany although perhaps they’re charging 7% as “transport” is in this bracket but I am fairly certain that means train tickets and the likes, not XT mechs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t corporation tax vary a lot depending on what kind of company you are? I thought there were dozens of rates.

jfletch
    Free Member

Doesn’t corporation tax vary a lot depending on what kind of company you are? I thought there were dozens of rates.

I’m not an accountant but I think the only variance to the rate is if you profist are too small. £1.5 mil? Above this and you pay 24% tax on profits.

Obviously there are all sorts of allowances and clever schemes to make the actual amount paid less than 24% of profits. Unfortinately the goverment can’t legistalte against accountants being clever.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve been avoiding Starbucks for years; their toilets are like pig sties.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

We’ll boycott it as long as it doesn’t affect us.

Head. Nail. Hit.

Feel free to boycott Starbucks but the fanbois don’t seem to be flocking away from Apple….

cinnamon_girl

I’ve made a start by closing my FB account, just need to wean myself off Amazon now. Don’t use the other companies mentioned.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So. Where does everyone buy their petrol/diesel from? I’m sure we can dig plenty of dirt on BP, Esso etc……

Personally, I don’t give a rats ass, but there you go.

DrJ

This… (NSFW)
    http://imgur.com//dvAmb
    is my local cafe barista, so … no Starbucks, thanks!

chakaping
    Free Member

Unfortinately the goverment can’t legistalte against accountants being clever.

They can legislate against specific examples of their cleverness as they emerge, and they do. But not as much as many of us would like.

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘So anyone avoiding Amazon, Starbucks and the like?’ is closed to new replies.