Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Snowshoes
  • scotroutes

Thinking of a wee pressie for myself (especially since I’m off the bike for a while). We had plenty of snow on the hills last winter and it occurred to me that investing in a pair of snowshoes might make early traverses a wee bit easier. Does anyone on here have any recommendations, especially for UK conditions? Decathlon seem to stock a reasonable range starting at £90 or so but the £160 sets seem to be a bit more flexible in use.

piemonster

MSR all the way.

The key considerations I have are float and grip. I’m not convinced the plastic one will provide enough float. Thus limiting the conditions they’ll work in.

If you can wait until January you can try my Kahtoolas, which ‘probably’ won’t be the right ones to buy. I only have them as they are trainer shoe compatible.

scotroutes

Cheers. I was hoping for a big dump before then though 😉

Uplift pass should arrive this week too…..

piemonster

Just having a wee gander around the MSR site.

The design of the metal (but not tubular) frame works better than most in Scotland. Lots of crusty icy snow, the sharper edges give more bite. I’m not sure what’s out there at the minute, but I’d be buying something that can cope with icy snow.

piemonster

Uplift pass should arrive this week too…..

You can go off people y’know.

scotroutes

I’m liking the heel lift thing on the TSLs but the big platform on the MSRs looks good

piemonster

Can you add a “tail” to that TSL?

That little notch on the MSR I think is where the tail clips on.

Those TSL’s look like they’ll sink awfy quick to me. Nowhere up there that does hire?

scotroutes

MSR tail

I’ll ask about hire though. Hadn’t really considered that and haven’t seen anyone advertising.

mau00149
    Free Member

pretty sure one of the guys that work in Craigdon in Inverness either hires them out or does guided trips on them….might be worth a phone call….

piemonster

I’ve no experience (that I can remember) of the ‘up and down’ TSL system. But to be honest it’s not something I’ve ever felt my Kahtoolas lacked.

These things btw https://kahtoola.com/product/mtn28-snowshoe/

It might be worth a try before you buy to be honest. I like them, but they have their limitations. Not enough float and you sink just as much without them, but with tennis rackets stuck to your feet.

On the other hand, Ive had some truly fantastic days out that would have been near impossible without them. Having a rucksack that can carry them easily will make a huge difference. Especially in Scotland where there’s often a decent length walk in.

scotroutes

… or a funicular railway 🙂

flowerpower
    Free Member

…that you can only come down on!

The wee ski hire shop on the right before the ski centre hires them (pine martin bar). Enjoy! It’s great fun 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

I got some TSL 325’s. Not used them in deep powder yet so cant comment on that. You are welcome to take them out for a spin when the snow gets here.

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Redfeathers I had shipped from the US, they’re ok, but if I was buying again I’d probably go for some MSR. Mine only have a small mid foot crampon, the MSRs above look much more capable for Scottish conditions – up a hill, on a slope, mixed conditions. The red feathers are fine for flatter terrain and relatively inexpensive. I’ve mostly used mine up the Ochils.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Used MSR Denali (look like the red pair above, but we’re grey) professionally for about five years in the ‘Gorms. Wasn’t convinced by the fragile looking hinge pins so spent a few hours on first use trying to destroy them by jumping onto boulders and rocks of the Ladder descent on Lochnagar. They were bombproof and remained that way.

Risers are very useful, though the pair above appears not to have them. Ensure you have an axe in your hand when descending steeper stuff. Unlike crampons, there is no instant “bite” when your heel strikes the slope, and you get pitched forward awkwardly. Can be fun!

Don’t just think deep snow. They are brilliant in mixed conditions, iced paths, etc., where you wouldn’t necessarily go to crampons, but do carry them as well.

Have fun.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

were…… frikkin spell correct……

stevomcd
    Free Member

There is another version of the MSR which has a heel riser – the “Ascent” version. They’re what I have for backcountry snowboarding, but to be honest the choice is usually between splitboarding and plain boot-packing for me.

In Scottish conditions, float is rarely an issue and I can’t imagine ever needing the flotation tails. MSR Denali Ascent would be my choice.

scotroutes

Well, thanks for all the feedback so far. Looks like I’ll have to up my mudget a wee bit though. Axe and crampons are pretty much a given regardless.

beanum

I had some cheap MSR copies and the buckle kept coming undone. Should have paid more as people with the real thing don’t seem to complain.
    The TSL’s may look attractive ‘cos they have snowboard style bindings with ratchets but be aware the cheap ones only have 6 pins for grip (see the photo above). The only TSLs I would have would be the ones with the serrated blade grips (like the MSRs) which are essential for traversing a slope safely.
    I don’t know how much choice you get in the UK though..

scotroutes

Some of the TSLs have a lot more grip – like the 418s and 438s

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Snowshoes’ is closed to new replies.