Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Snowman and snow dog
  • JRTG
    Free Member

Wife was in tears 10 seconds in!

peteimpreza

Both blubbing here!

Beautiful little story.

zippykona

Mrs Zip can’t believe I’ve not seen the first one. That was really nice though.
    No mention of Bytor though.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Nice that there wasn’t an ad break too.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

top man ray briggs

JRTG
    Free Member

Did they refuel the plane?

Drac

That was awful, my kids who love the Snowman we’re bored after a few minutes. My eldest laughed saying so much for Walking on Air. I went and vacuumed the dinning room it was more entertaining.

godzilla
    Free Member

Snowman was dull, Scrooge was way way better.

Northwind

Thought it was pretty dismal tbh… Started well but just seemed to miss every mark. The art/animation didn’t have the character of the original and the music was just nowhere, all very X Factor.

And why did the flying snowman steal the plane?

zilog6128

I like the way they tastefully made it inclusive of other cultures by showing a snowman with slitty eyes wearing a conical hat. Thoroughly modern.

top man ray briggs

Indeed. Shame they bullied an old man into giving his consent for this (he had no involvement by the way)

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Mrs and kids thoroughly enjoyed it !!!Mrs was wondering what people were expecting!!!!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Awful! Worst thing I’ve seen for ages, and I watched the first half of Iron Man last night!

aracer
    Free Member

Not impressed by the music, thought stealing the plane was a bit strange and thought the portrayal of oriental snowmen rather racist. However it wasn’t all that awful – those who think this was rubbish presumably don’t have a very high opinion of the original, given the theme wasn’t so different. Most importantly my kids loved it.

Which brings me onto the real issue. My kids are 5 and 3. WTF were C4 thinking putting it on at 8pm when it’s clearly aimed at little kids?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well we enjoyed it, although mum was in tears as soon as the dog couldn’t get out of the van!

patriotpro
    Free Member

It made me feel sick when they were barrel-rolling the plane…Could have been the Polish beer too…But, i thought it was great.

Not sure anything ever could EVER live up to the expectations of the first one, but it gave it a good shot.

8 out of 10.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

8 out of 10.

No, that’s snow cat next year.

patriotpro
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    8 out of 10.
    No, that’s snow cat next year.

The snow will be yellow and in a garden other than the owner’s then… 😆

Northwind

aracer – Member

those who think this was rubbish presumably don’t have a very high opinion of the original, given the theme wasn’t so different.

nah, tbh that’s the reason I think it’s such a failure- I love the original and it just doesn’t live up to it at all. Seems to miss everything that made the original good.

Coming back to the plane thing, partly it just didn’t make any sense but mostly it’s about missing the feeling of the fantastic. Flying snowman? Boring, let’s take a plane instead, that’s much more magical and unique.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

didn’t watch it, but downloaded it to my sons tablet that he’ll be unwrapping in the morning. i hope he enjoys it.

kerv
    Free Member

Brought a tear to my eye as it reminded me of our dog who we lost this year. 😥

johndoh
    Free Member

Recorded.

Not quite Fungus or Where the Wind Blows though . At Least I can’t imagine it will be.

footflaps

I really enjoyed it. A bit too similar to the original, but still heart warming TV.

DickBarton

I liked it…also spotted a picture of Fungus in the kid’s room…thing I’m not getting is why haven’t the CSA or police been called in? That is the second child he has left alone in 30 years!!!

Mugboo

Touched a nerve in our house having lost the dog this year. The wife is looking forward to the snow now, his collars ready to go..

Simon-E

It did a fair job of replicating the original in its style and storyline, and there is something to be admired in the 200,000 individual drawings, but it didn’t have quite the same magical feel.

The worst aspect was the dreary pop song over the flying scene, it was piss-poor and totally forgettable. No way could it compare with Peter Auty singing Walking In The Air.

tyger
    Free Member

Spoilers Drac??

Stainypants

Downloaded the original of the internet instead, kids 3 and 5 sat in silence for 25 minutes. I’d forgot David Bowie was in it.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Thought some bits were a bit depressing.

That lovely old house that used to be in the South Downs countryside was now surrounded by a soulless housing estate and instead of flying over “valleys and streams” they were flying over an urban jungle.

Some bits were ok but the music ruined it for me.

Overall a miss IMO.

aracer
    Free Member

Downloaded the original of the internet instead

We watched the original the night before (which was actually on at a more kid friendly time).

rj
    Free Member

Mind numbing drivel.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I hope Raymond Briggs makes loads of money out of it, he must need the cash. The way he figures it, they’ll juat make it when I’m dead anyway! (I guess). He hates Christmas, and the original Snowman book was written and illustrated to try to inform kids about the reality of death ho ho ho. Making a living as a genius kids book authour/illustrator is very difficult though, hence the original Snowman prog. He is also a bit of a hero of mine. Writer/Illustrators like him are very few on the ground http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Briggs

sbob
    Free Member

aracer – Member

Not impressed by the music, thought stealing the plane was a bit strange and thought the portrayal of oriental snowmen rather racist.

I bet you’d like to ban the portrayal of all snow-people that aren’t West European white males, wouldn’t you?
    You evil jingoistic misogynist.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Loved the beginning and end, music was awful. The original is still magic!

bobbyspangles

You lot do know it is intended for children, right?

Drac

Yes.

my kids who love the Snowman we’re bored after a few minutes. My eldest laughed saying so much for Walking on Air.

aracer
    Free Member

I bet you’d like to ban the portrayal of all snow-people that aren’t West European white males, wouldn’t you?

Nope – I’m all in favour of black snowmen 😉

If the original snowman is supposed to be about death, then this one certainly keeps faith – and reading that indy article it seems RB doesn’t disapprove in anything like the way some of you lot seem to think.

Kids (3 and 5) watched Snowdog again this evening by request. They were enthralled yet again. Bah humbug to all the middle aged men who don’t think it was much cop.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Snowman and snow dog’ is closed to new replies.