Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Snowdonia/North West Wales camping, cycling and other stuff
  • nickjb
    Free Member

The mrs and I are going to spend a few days midweek in North West Wales between weekends away. I haven’t been up that way for quite a few years so looking for some pointers for…

1. Good riding (probably a mix of trail centre and natural)
    2. Good campsites or possibly cheap B&Bs
    3. Other stuff to do, either outdoorsy or visiting somewhere.

Currently got CAT, CyB and possibly a ride down Snowdon on the list.

franki
    Free Member

I’d recommend the Pont Scethin route for proper old-skool biking, with long descents and evil climbs that require a bit of pushing / carrying.
    CYB and Penmachno / Marin Trail offer the best waymarked trails in the area.
    Cae Du at Beddgelert is a nice campsite and kind of central.

nickjb
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. The Pont Scethin route looks interesting, Probably will have a go at that if it isn’t too wet.

I think we have our accomodations sorted now. Any more tips for riding or other things to do?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Do you climb / scramble – I hear Wales is pretty good for that sort of thing….. 😉

+1 for Cae Du, though you might need to use the car to get to places you want to ride. We stayed at Dolgellau recently, grim town, but you can ride to CyB from there and Dyfi stuff is nearby too.

Cadair Idris if you want a big mountain without a voluntary bike ban.

Off the bike and not climbing; Lots of twee steam railways, good walking obviously, Port Meirion (Prisoner town), castles at Beaumaris and Conway, etc. Sorry, struggling a bit as I only really go there to ride and climb.

You could take a look at the Plas Y Brenin website and get some ideas of other things to do or book on one of their courses (do your SMBLA training!)

Take a brolly.

billysugger
    Free Member

Went here last month. Think it’s less than 5 miles from Llandegla

http://www.gwerydlakes.co.uk/accommodation.asp

Take a brolly +1

nickjb
    Free Member

Do you climb / scramble – I hear Wales is pretty good for that sort of thing…

We do a little scrambling. Toying with Crib Goch but only if the weather is kind. Anywhere else good?

ndg
    Free Member

You could stay at Eric’s Cafe Campsite/bunkhouse, just sounth of Portmadog on the coast road.

N.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Penmachno loop 1&2 are good, not far from Betws y Coed ( Marin Trail )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Snowdonia/North West Wales camping, cycling and other stuff’ is closed to new replies.