Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Snowdonia/Dolgellau area bridleways etc.
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

My question is are they signed in anyway on the ground/poles/plates or will it be a case of keeping a map out the whole time. We are going up that way for some non trail centre scenic riding and will have Garmin (with OS map) and weatherproof maps etc but ideally if I can preplan a couple of routes/options and have the visible markers (discs) it will make it a little easier. I had been thinking of classic Pont Scethin loop but have read the words boggy and bike carry. Would it be no fun in November?
    And yes I know there are CyB and Machynlleth but fancy some relatively people free riding and views for a change. 🙂

mrchrist

The Snowdon loop will be fine in Nov under tyre. Check the forecast before you go up obviously. It’s easy to navigate.

Not done the Pont Secthin loop so can’t comment on that.

There is some good/fantastic off-piste stuff around coed y brenin and to the south towards Dolgellau. Signing ain’t great though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Plot out a Garmin route before you go, have a map and compass to hand to get you out of trouble. Job done!

Tiger6791

Map

&

Bridleway in Wales should not be relied upon, some although look great on a map are truly horrific

http://allthegear-noidea.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/of-mice-and-men-bit-of-tolkien-five.html

aracer
    Free Member

To be fair, that particular BW doesn’t look great on the map if you have enough experience to check for the existence of a trail rather than just a ROW!

Tiger6791

The Syfydrin trail at Nant us a good way marked non trail centre ride

Syfydrin Trail

(Obviously it is a trail centre ride but it goes out beyond the usual)

carlos
    Free Member

Cadir Idris has great views, few walkers, some hike a bike and can be boxed off in a couple of hours. Then jump in the car and head to. yah for a loop of The Beast after lunch

Best of both worlds

Painey
    Free Member

The Syfydrin trail at Nant us a good way marked non trail centre ride

Did that a few years ago. After a couple of hours I was wondering “where the hell are we”? Felt in the middle of nowhere. The leg burner climb at the end was an ordeal.

martinhutch

The leg burner climb at the end was an ordeal.

The leg burner is worse now they’ve felled all the trees on it. You can actually see how bloody far it is.

Syfydrin is great though. A great mix of TC and easy BW riding.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Pont Scethin trails are all clear on the ground – though not waymarked really. There are some sections that are soft and boggy all year round. Most of it works ok in the winter. But I would avoid if for a couple of days after really heavy rain.

Re carrying/pushing, you’ll definitely do some. If you ride the actual loop clockwise, then quite a lot, if you ride it anti-clockwise and can climb, then just a few short sections.

Let me know if you need more info or a local guide mtbguiding@gmail.com

franki
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Pont Scethin & it’s a great route, but I’m not sure it’d be the best in November. If ridden clockwise the track down to the bridge has the potential to be a bit of a morass if there has been much rain and the tops are pretty exposed. There will be carrying if tackled either way round, but nothing too bad.
    It’s got the feel of a proper wilderness route, but packed into a small area.

franki
    Free Member

Alternatively, there are some great routes south of the Mawddach, which are easy to navigate and although may be very wet, shouldn’t pose much difficulty.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, I’d read about the Classisc Cadir Idris ride on STW earlier. I think we will preplan a selection of rides and then pick the best option for the prevailng weather conditions and whichever bikes we take, full suss or fatties.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Snowdonia/Dolgellau area bridleways etc.’ is closed to new replies.