Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Snowdonia Campsite
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

My daughter (11 year old) has decided we should be camping / hill walking some time during her easter holidays… I’m not sure its such a ‘hot’ idea at the moment, but always….

Any recommendations on campsites we should go to next week ? Small tent with a dog in tow… Thinking Snowdonia. Walking from the door with a pub nearby would be our idea.

Ideas / recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks

z.

imnotamused
    Free Member

How about the snowdon ranger youth hostel? Sort of like comfortable warm camping!

saxabar
    Free Member

There’s some around Capel Curig, across from the road from the pub, but I would be working harder to dissuade her!

voodoo_chile

I would agree, tough camping with the current weather, might put the young un off for life

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Nant Peris has good campsite opposite Vaynol Arms pub, on the sherpa bus route, so easy to get about/too /from– will need warm kit though, but great adventure– bit of adversity harms no one..

piemonster

Bryn Tyrch Farm for me, basic camping. Cheap as chips, and not far to stumble back from the pub.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results3.asp?search=Capel%20curig&by=town

Not to everyone’s tastes though due to limited facilities. I found them ok though, but when I go away for a couple of days in Scotland I usually sleep in the car or a bivvy bag and crap in a hole in the ground.

bamboo
    Free Member

If you decide to posh it up and go for a b and b instead, there is a converted chapel in Capel curing opposite the shop/cafe which is v good. The bus runs from outside the cafe too so you can leave your car at the b and b.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ll check those out. Definitely her pushing for camping not me… Checking these ideas out, no budget for a cottage / B&B and the youth hostels I’ve tried are full so far anyhow.

spandex_bob

MBA has a couple of bothies on its books in Snowdonia, offers a bit more shelter than camping if weather is iffy?

Mantastic
    Free Member

It’s a bit snowy up there at the moment. Personally go when warmer

chiefP
    Free Member

Conditions are treacherous in the Hills at the moment, if you are walking the hills please be well prepared the avalanche risk normally small in the SNP is very high due to unstable wind slabs and Cornice. (Crampons,ice axe essential)

It’s been a very busy few days for the MRT’s with people not carrying the correct kit, this is the latest

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-21996925

STAY SAFE

brooess
    Free Member

I was in the Glyders this weekend. It’s full winter conditions so certainly think about going out only if prepared and experienced. As per link above, Mountain Rescue have been manic…

A camping barn will be warmer and still cheap, although may be full of hairy climbers…

Cwm Idwal round by the lake is relatively accessible with proper walking boots but tbh there’s so much snow round there you’ll be very limited to what you can do…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Snowdonia Campsite’ is closed to new replies.