Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Snowdonia big route suggestions
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

Looking for suggestions for a big offroad (as much as possible) route that includes up-and-down Snowdon.
    Perhaps a loop that starts and ends on the coast to the west, or somewhere inland such as Betws.
    As hairy-chested as you like – maybe 2 routes linked up, doesn’t matter if it’s 100 miles long…etc.

Cheers.

terrahawk
    Free Member

bump

IanB
    Free Member

There’s a route I used to do from Bangor that went out to Abergwyngregin, and then up into the hills onto the roman road and past the stone circles. It aimed, via some wide open moorland footpaths to Sychnant Pass and south along more of the same to the roman road. It was 30 odd miles but very tough riding for the distance.

To lengthen the route, you could head further south to Llyn Cowlyd res. and go over into the Ogwen Valley. A road link would take you in the direction of Snowdon, either via Pen-y-pass or down Nant Ffrancon and over from Bethesda and through the slate quarries.

The trouble with the N. Wales I found was it’s quite fragmented as there are steep valleys and bit rocky mountains that you can’t always ride over.

IanB
    Free Member

I also rode from Bangor via occasional off road tracks to Llanberis with a great descent through the quarries. Head over the Telegraph route and onto Beddgelert forest. I did a loop there and headed back (long ride), but there are other options over the top from Beddgelert forest into Afon Dwyfor if you wanted to go further.

terrahawk
    Free Member

that’s great – I shall have a look on the maps.

Ta, Jase

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Snowdonia big route suggestions’ is closed to new replies.