Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Snowdon – which way down?
  • IanB
    Free Member

Planning to ride Snowdon next week, and just wondered which is the best way down? Rhyd-Ddu or the Snowdon Ranger?

snowpaul
    Free Member

hello

I would def avoid the rhyd ddu – not rideable ! The Ranger is kinda rideable depending on your skillset / balls and your bike – Its hard in my opinion…

If you are from brecon then you must be familiar with the gap etc – ranger is harder by far – the top rocky sections of thr gap are great fun arent they!

I personally do the llanberis track – boring to some I knowm but fast and very very fun on a 80mm hardtail!! Ranger is 50 pc rideable for me with that bike. The full sus is better for the ranger… its a serious descent and would suggest pads etc.

You are aware of the 10 – 6 voluntary ban arent you? just checking!!

have fun

paul

paul

mk1fan
    Free Member

Up Llanberis – Down Rangers – accross the valley up and over the hill on th eleft then down what I think is Telegraph back into Llanberis.

Awesome loop.

IanB
    Free Member

Snowpaul – yes, familiar enough with the Gap. I ride a hardtail round here (Soda), with 130mm forks and 2.4" tyres. Don't think there's much locally I won't ride, though I seem to have a little less nerve than I used to 12 years ago 😕

Don't have any pads and I'll be on my own. I'll better pack some sticking plasters…

mk1fan – I'll check out the Telegraph route too – think I've only ever ridden up it.

Ian

mk1fan
    Free Member

Sorry, That should be the hill on the right!

You can see the path on the opposing hill as you go up Llanberis path.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I did it the same way as mk1fan and its a great route-dont know wether I would dare do it on my long travel hardtail though as its rough as hell with some good drops and lots of wheel wrecking pointy roacks and the boulder fields.
    As for pads i would as one off and you will risk breaking a bone (once met a welsh local on the Marin that he rode week in week out with a smashed (and I mean smashed) elbow/radius/ulnar. Is it fair to have to be heli-vaced just for not wearing pads?
    As for Telegraph Hill ace way to finish off just make sure you jump every draiage bar as they are tyre shredders if you get it wrong.
    Enjoy……

forge197
    Free Member

Pads for sure saved me a broken arm on my first trip there I had a massive bruise though

mk1fan and I did the route he's described few weeks back it was brilliant.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon – which way down?’ is closed to new replies.