Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Snowdon. What do I need?
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Gonna climb (walk up) it soon. What does one need in terms of kit?

I’ve done it before, via the Llanberis path, but this time it’s Crib Goch!

I know it’s only Snowdon, but I want to be prepared and avoid the humiliation of getting rescued 🙂

Now here’s something controversial to start: Everyone usually says ‘good boots’. But I’m thinking not. I do have some Berghaus walking boots, but they’re big, clumpy and very rarely worn. Instead, I’m thinking about wearing my Brooks running trainers that I wear every single day (when running). The logic being that I’ll be confident and comfortable in them. Am I being a crazy fool?

Other things I’m planning to take: phone, map, compass, whistle, bit of food and water, something warmish to put on if it gets cold. All in a little backpack.

Anything else?

somouk
    Free Member

Running trainers will be useless on the slate, especially if you’re doing the crib goch route which has some scrambling on from what i remember. No ankle support will also risk a sprained ankle which equals a rescue.

The rest of the basics you’ve got. Silver foil blanket?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

A sense of adventure!

Jealous 🙂

palmer77
    Free Member

Watch out for the third pinnacle, slightly vertiginous!

jambourgie
    Free Member

somouk – Member
    Running trainers will be useless on the slate

Right. Gotcha, thanks for that. Made sense at the time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Proper soles on rock for me.

slowoldman

I know someone who took a CX bike!

rickon
    Free Member

I lived in the park for about 10 years…

I know it’s only Snowdon

A lot of people say that, and end up having to be rescued by the voulenteer rescue team.

People get crag fast, break ankles due to inappropriate footwear, slip as before, get lost, slip on ice and die.

Take proper footwear, plan your route, change your route if the weather closes in – crib goch will be there for a long time.

It’s fairly exposed, if you’re not used to scrambling it can be a bit daunting the first time, it’s a lot more serious than the llanberis path.

You can easily get snow on the tops in July, even if it’s sunny at the bottom. Take gloves, hat, waterproofs, and an extra layer.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d not recommend them if they’re normal road running trainers (the grip isn’t likely to be that good, and they’re too high so unstable on rough ground), but I wore my Inov-8s on Crib Goch earlier this year. They have loads of grip – better than most normal walking boots on wet rock. As for ankle support, the real support from most lightweight boots is pretty minimal.

Crib Goch doesn’t have much in the way of technical scrambling – it’s not technically hard, but you need a good head for heights as the ridge is very narrow with long steep drops on both sides. If you haven’t got experience of that sort of thing I’d go with somebody who has.

Apart from the OPs list I’d take waterproofs in case it rains (it was bright sunshine when we set off, pouring with rain by the time we got down), spare food that you’re not planning on eating enough warm clothing to survive a night out (you don’t specify what you’re carrying) a first aid kit and some sort of survival bag or blanket (I was carrying a foil bag and a bothy shelter).

jambourgie
    Free Member

Great advice Rickon, thanks.

I wasn’t underestimating the mountain, if anything I’m over-thinking it, out of respect, and a bit of healthy fear!

I lived in the park for about 10 years…

When I first read that I thought “okaaay… bit of a random thing to say”, before I realised you meant Snowdonia National Park. Not that you were a hobo in your local park for a decade. 😀

allfankledup

The Llanberis MRT has an active facebook page, as with other Mrt it is well worth following.

Mrs ran up from Llanberis last year, despite the path being described as a motorway by some, she found parts where there big drops on either side, no views as it was solid mist and a lot colder than in the valley.

Whilst slighty distracted by the mrt doing cpr on a walker, she raced the train back down to the town. Beat it, but partially because they picked up the casualty (too cloudy for the helicopter apparently)

Enjoy!

dhyetiman
    Free Member

Advice is give is, make sure you know where you are going, my wife and I did crib goch many years ago , there was a steady stream of people in front and we just “followed” the people directly in front. Luckily for us they noticed and turned round and came back to tell us they were pro climbers and not on the actual route! We had already climbed up a small overhanging ridge which made it impossible to climb back down so had to find another way (which we did eventually without to much bother) the moral Is, we had/have been up many many times as it’s localish, but it’s still easy to make a silly mistake.

Also be mindful of wind, it can get seriously strong up there! We ride up a few months ago (planners path) got past the half way house to where the track turns left and suddenly gets quite steep, the wind was like nothing is experianced, every time a gust came everyone was diving to the floor, we got half way up that steep section and a gust picked my bike up and threw it into my mate behind, it also picked a young (12ish) year old lad up and tried to throw him, luckily the quick reactions of the 2 guys he was with saved him. At that point we all turned around.and went back down, just not worth it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Apart from the OPs list I’d take waterproofs in case it rains

More like when it rains. I did the Llamberis path a few weeks ago with the family, beautiful sunny day at the bottom and most of the way up, but a big lump of cloud clinging onto the top and was quite windy too so even though it was warm the waterproofs came out – top and bottom halves. I’ve only done Snowdon that one time, but people I speak to who have done it several times pretty much all say they’ve never seen the views from Snowdon up top, its always shrouded in misty drizzly cloud. So seems waterproofs are a must.

Was proud of the kids that day, an 8 and 10 yr old, 11 miles in total, they didn’t moan or whinge once.

But as always the mountain was littered with people who were unprepared. OK it’s no Everest base camp so relatively safe as many people around and not a particularly challenging climb technically, but risk of injury is always there and mountain rescue is not intended to be there to rescue people from their own stupidity. Saw a couple of people in nothing more than shorts and T-shirts and Converse trainers being helped out by kind strangers as they struggled with cold and lack of food as we got near the summit. Also saw a few families wandering up looking like they’d just left a pub lunch and going on a post lunch stroll, so in fashion clothes, thin soled shoes and their kids in thin pumps/ballet shoes. Crazy.

takisawa2

Seen idiots up there dithering in t-shirts & sandals, once you get into the summit. Easy to see how folk get in to trouble.
    Waterproofs, decent approach trainers or boots. Some thin gloves, emergency blanket is a wise precaution.
    All the paths are well trodden if it’s good weather, if it’s shrouded in cloud it’s a different matter. It’s bloody grim when the weather is bad.
    And don’t expect a view & you’ll not be dussapointed..

Keva
    Free Member

I wear a decent pair of Meindl hiking trainers, they’re absolutely fine and more than capable for Snowdonia.

what to take? I always have in my ruck sack a heavy duty waterproof jacket, waterproof overtrousers, wind proof, hat & gloves and a lightweight waterproof. Plus anything else I feel I might need on the day. All fits into a 20L camelback.

Make sure someone in the group has experience and knows the route, it’s easy to lose your sense of direction if the clouds come down and you can’t see f.all.

wrecker
    Free Member

Seen idiots up there dithering in t-shirts & sandals

I went up in the summer and there were men in work clothing (shoes, trousers and shirt), kids in flip flops, all sorts. The worst attired seemed to going up the pyg though.

dyls

Its easy to twist your ankle, but people also run up the mountain. Depends how much experience you have. Temptation is to head off from the ridge, but you need to stick close to the ridge, maybe just off the top and on snowdons side if you havent done it before. There is a big drop on the llanberis side. For the first time id choose a nice sunny day with no wind.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Food
    Water
    hat (sun hat or beanie dep on weather)
    gloves
    trail shoe or trail running shoe or walking boot
    waterproofs
    extra layer
    compeeds / tape
    Emergency survival bag
    compass
    map
    watch
    whistle
    phone and gps app to confirm your map reading.
    Don’t do crib Goch if it’s very windy.
    That’s about it for me.
    In Summer I generally wear walking boots if it’s forecast cold and wet, my Inov8 trail running shoes if forecast is reasonable/good and just embrace wet feet.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Thanks everyone!

What map? Assuming OS, but Explorer/Landranger?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

OL17

rickon
    Free Member

For the first time id choose a nice sunny day with no wind.

Totally agree. If the weather is crap, there’s some great low level walks you can do, or some that are much nicer in that weather.

aracer
    Free Member

I know of what I write – the previous time I was up there

Snowdon summit:

Crib Goch from Snowdon summit:

Started below the cloud, and hadn’t planned to go to the top until I was told that it was above the clouds. Didn’t get rained on at all.

You’ll note Crib Goch is in shadow in the second pic – was half an hour before sunset, so nobody in trainers and jeans at all (I had the summit to myself and met just one other person between the North Col and the summit). Yes it was getting a bit dark by the time I got down – though I met a well equipped group going up when I was half way down!

Flaperon

Is this your first ridge? While Crib Goch isn’t particularly challenging in the dry and light wind, it’s not something to approach lightly.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Hi Flaperon,

Yes it is. And I’ll be honest, heights can give me the heebie-jeebies. I know it’s mind over matter and it’s something I’m trying to conquer. Hence a ‘baptism of fire’ with Crib Goch. Anyway, my rope-access mates who I’ve talked to have all said it’s NORMAL to be wary of heights so…

My logic was that as long as I do my research, am fully prepared and the weather is right then the only barrier is my mind. I’ve talked myself through some pretty horrible situations in the past so I’m confident I can do this. Also, calling mountain rescue will not be an option as the humiliation will far exceed the fear of carrying on 🙂

All that being said, I’m thinking now that I might spend a few days there camping and ‘acclimatise to it’. Especially as the mate I’m going with is even less experienced than me.

It’s hard to gauge how exposed it is by researching on the internet. You can’t get a feeling for the height from photographs and video. And reports from people who’ve done it range from the ‘Don’t even attempt it unless you’re an experience mountaineer’, to the ‘Man up and get it done, my mate rode across on a penny farthing in his underpants’…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Happy trails 😉

slowoldman

Given your lack of experience I would suggest your “acclimatisation” would ideally involve a number of easier, less exposed, more easily escapable, less committing scrambles. Crib Goch isn’t, in good conditions, inherently dangerous but nor is it a place to find yourself feeling very uncomfortable with the situation.

Many moons ago when I did a lot of scrambling and rock-climbing, Crib Goch would be pretty straightforward to me – most of it hands in pockets stuff. These days, because I don’t do much of that stuff anymore I can find exposure very un-nerving. So lack of experience at this sort of thing will be your main issue. At the end of the day you are supposed to enjoy the trip – “manning up” is the wrong approach.

rickon
    Free Member

I know it’s mind over matter and it’s something I’m trying to conquer.

There are easier, and harder scrambles in North Wales.

If you feel out of your depth, you can turn around and go back, simple as. No loss of pride, it’s far more dignified than calling out mountain rescue because you’re crag fast (stuck with fear on the hill).

If you’re going up earlier, then go for some other walks around North Wales that’ll get your head into in it.

rickon
    Free Member

Many moons ago when I did a lot of scrambling and rock-climbing, Crib Goch would be pretty straightforward to me – most of it hands in pockets stuff. These days, because I don’t do much of that stuff anymore I can find exposure very un-nerving. So lack of experience at this sort of thing will be your main issue. At the end of the day you are supposed to enjoy the trip – “manning up” is the wrong approach.

Also, this totally applies to me these days. I’ve walked every top in the park, but my lack of walking these days would find me a bit wobbly on Crib Goch.

If you really are just after a good day out on Snowdon – do the PYG track. It’s a great walk, great views, less people than the Ranger Path or Llanberis Path and a nicer walk than the Rhyd Ddu path.

If you fancy a bit of exposure, and a good day out, the Nantlle Ridge is amazing, less people and a little bit of exposure but still pretty strenuous.

I’d also recommend the Glyders circuit if you’re map reading isn’t great.

Or if you’re map reading is good and you want a quiet day, one of my favourites in the Carneddau circuit, including the brilliant named Slippery Hill of the Witch. 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

For a lot of it you can walk/scramble along and keep hands on. Stiff soles will help your feet from slipping. If you are a bit nervous leave it for a dry clear day. Route finding is pretty straightforward and if weather is nice will probably be a lot of people on it. If you don’t like how it’s going don’t carry on because everyone else is it will always be there for another go. It’s a great day out just respect your limits and enjoy it. If you get worried have a breather, take in the view and chill out.

dissonance

And I’ll be honest, heights can give me the heebie-jeebies. I know it’s mind over matter and it’s something I’m trying to conquer.

I wouldnt choose Crib Goch for that then.
    It isnt hard (in good summer conditions) but it is exposed. Personally I noticed the drop there more than on some proper climbs.
    There is no easy escape aside from retracing steps. So if you hit the point where you freeze going forward going back is going to be an equal pain.

curto80
    Free Member

This thread has inspired my to go run up the llanberis path on the way back from Tour o the Borders. Not done Snowdon before but got the bug after running up Ben Nevis and Ventoux recently. Thanks OP!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon. What do I need?’ is closed to new replies.