Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Snowdon Virgin
  • tmb467
    Free Member

Going up after 5pm next Wednesday – Llanberis path

I’d like to get to the top before sunset (allegedly around 7.50pm) – so how long does it take to get up / come down?

I’ll have lights so not too bothered for the descent unless its a 3.5 hr climb in which case I’ll maybe go in the morning!

cheers

scruff
    Free Member

Took us 2 1/4 hrs to push DH bikes up.

rhid

2.5hrs push up plus 20 mins down. I reckon you will be fine!

beefy

Mmmm, well I did it a few weeks ago (first time) and sunset was around 9, got down just as it was getting dark, BUT had major puncture on the way down. We came down rangers, which is much better than the Llanberis path and then telegraph road, which is where I had punctures, the water bars ripped a hole in my tubeless tires, which caused no end of issues.

Once down rangers, telegraph road would be good fun with lights.

It is roughly two hours climb if walking, but a lot of it is rideable.

Mind you, I have only done it once…

rhid

Also you can start pushing up before 5 anyways to buy yourself a bit more time.

tmb467
    Free Member

Once down rangers, telegraph road would be good fun with lights.

Is that the path back to Llanberis from the bottom of Rangers? How long is that descent likely to take? I’m running tubes at the minute and will have an ample number with me as I’d not want to be out too long after dark

flyingmonkeycorps

Aloow three hours, but realistically it’ll be between two and three if you pedal as much as you can. Which is more than you think.

And go down the Rangers. Much more fun!

flyingmonkeycorps

Telegraph won’t take you long, it’s fast as **** 😀

jekkyl

Yup but the push up the soggy grass bank from rangers to telegraph will!

robj20
    Free Member

Its better in the morning, that way on the ride down people walking up are facing you and tend to move out of the way. In the evening people are walking down.

hora
    Free Member

You want the descent to be fun etc- do the morning, it’ll be dusk by 8 I bet at least.

jekkyl

I enjoyed Helvellyn a lot more than Snowdon, nicer surroundings (the lake district), better scenery, better/more choice of routes up/down, no stupid railway taking lazy **** to the top and no stupid daytime ban.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah we’ve always done it in the morning, much nicer. The push has more of a track now… A bit 😉

bullandbladder
    Free Member

2 hrs up, 20 mins down. Allow for blown tyres 😀

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Also thinking about doing snowdon in a couple of weeks.

How concerned do i need to be about punctures/blown tyres? Would you recommend taking more than 2 spare tubes?

I appreciate it’s a little bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question but didn’t think it looked too bad on the videos I’ve seen on youtube.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve never (touch wood) had a puncture on Rangers or Telegraph, but I have had one going down the Llanberis.

(I’ve done Rangers 4-5 times and Llanberis once).

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Cheers, planning on rangers/telegraph. Fingers crossed for no mechanicals.

That’s probably jinxed it.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

If you are riding down maesgwm aka telegraph valley make sure your tyres are pumped to the max, it should be re named snakebite valley.

flyingmonkeycorps

Or just time your bunny hops perfectly 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon Virgin’ is closed to new replies.