Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Snowdon…. Train, bikes /hikes.
  • alpin
    Free Member

Have a few days to kill with the girlfriend and thought about going up Snowdon on Friday/weekend.

Is it a bike/hike or is it all rideable on the way up?

Or alternatively, if the weather is crap, can you ride the train up with a bike and ride down?

Cheers.

steveh

You can’t use the train with bikes.

The ride up llanberis is probably 70/30 rideable/walking if you’re fit and keen.

jekkyl

I keep meaning to email the train company and ask why they don’t take bikes up, it would be like the biggest uplift in the UK and they could charge a premium and people would pay it. I’m guessing it’s do with the powers that be are likely happy with the current level of cycling that goes on on the mountain at the moment and probably aren’t keen for neon coloured riders to be whizzing down the paths at 30mph annoying peds. Would be great if they did though I agree.

jekkyl

just looking at the site, the train has finished running for this year so walking/cycling is your only choice.

Home

steveh

With the summer time voluntary ban on bike use on Snowdon in the day there would only be very limited time when it would be possible to do it.

shifter
    Free Member

They could fill the first and last train of the day easily.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m sure llanberis mountain rescue would love to spend their mornings and evening retrieving broken storm troopers.

shifter
    Free Member

They could charge for that too. Countries with much bigger mountains seem to cope with Star Wars fans.

mildbore

It takes at least a couple of hours to push up, quite tiring. Very technical, rocky descent

Marin
    Free Member

Train probably makes more than enough from non wheeled punters to bother with mountain bikers.
    Mountain fescue are volunteers so don’t charge for rescues and are also busy enough.
    Llanberris path is fun down. Did Ranger earlier in the year and thought it was a bit pants but weather was appalling. Head up very early to try and get a clear run which ever way you comes down.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon…. Train, bikes /hikes.’ is closed to new replies.