Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Snowdon this weekend
  • docrobster
    Free Member

What's the quickest route up/down snowdon?
    We're going for the weekend with another family to walk up/down, plus a bit of wild swimming. Staying in Snowdon Ranger Hostel Fri/Sat night, but will have to leave fairly early sunday to get to my mum's for a birthday tea.
    So I am not sure if it's worth taking the bike. Will I have time to do it after 5 on saturday evening.
    How long does the hike a bike up from snowdon ranger to the top take? ❓

anjs
    Free Member

You know about the ban on riding during the day?

nickjb
    Free Member

After 5 on Saturday would be perfect, you'll be back well before dark. I believe the riding ban is 9-5 in the summer, but best to check. Quickest would probably be straight up and down the llanberis path. Well worth it IMHO.

Edit: Snowdon Ranger Hostel is at the bottom of the Snowdon Ranger path isn't it… DOh! So straight up and down that then.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Ranger path is meant to be best. But Llanberis is basically all rideable save for a few bits iirc. So you don't need to hike at all.

carriegold
    Free Member

you could get the train up and then cycle down after 5pm but I think the train fare is something daft like £22.

A mate and I did the Telegraph Valley route in Bikefax's Snowdon guide. Great fun and we were able to bike down part of the Snowdon Ranger path that's open all day and not restricted to the 5pm agreement.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The most challenging trails are the other side from the tourist/rail route.

I did the up on the "Miner's Trail" and back down the same way, diverting onto the "Pig Track" all the way to the car park.

The downhill was a severe test on legs not used to off-the-bike excercise…

Took an afternoon at a leisurely pace.

docrobster
    Free Member

Yes after 5 was the plan due to the riding ban.
    Didn't realise you could take bikes up on the train. Having walked up and down the mountain in the day that might be the best option. I'm just concerned it might not be possible to fit it all in in the time we have so not sure it's worth taking the bike.
    Will investigate the train option

Pook

Ranger path is restricted, there's a big sign at the bottom. Telegraph Valley isn't though. No bikes on the train (otherwise it would just be an uplift service!!!)

We did it a fortnight ago – 2.20 up, 20 down. In driving rain and wind for the climb too. Other bikers were coming down (walking), having given up*.

Llanberis path, Snowdon Ranger, Telegraph Valley.

Magnificent.

edit: * 'cos we're hard.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

You're not allowed bikes on the train.

We did it two weeks ago, up the Llanberris path and down the Ranger. Llanberris would have been mostly ridable for someone fitter than me apart from the very steep bit towards the top, and in better weather than we had.

Down the ranger was an absolute hoot. It was tricky in places toward the bottom when the step downs required much bigger balls than mine

molgrips
    Free Member

It's one of the best rides in the whole UK. It's DEFINTELY worth taking the bike and then not doing some other lame walkie type stuff 😉

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I don't think you can take a bike on the train … I'd check though.

Also aren't the Miners and Pyg tracks footpaths?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Also aren't the Miners and Pyg tracks footpaths?

The downhill was a severe test on legs not used to off-the-bike excercise

Yes.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Sorry Mr Woppit, I missed that bit in your post 😉

docrobster
    Free Member

Right looks like I'd better MTFU, take the bike. Lame walkie stuff is just the bit you have to do to get the 3-4 hours off on the bike unfortunately.
    As long is there is time before nightfall to do it setting off at 5 on sat it should be fine.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it not also National Trust or something, thereby allowing us to ride it?

Pook

nope

molgrips
    Free Member

Next question then – is Rhydd Ddu rideable?

slowrider
    Free Member

all your questions seem to have been answered so ill just throw in another 'go for it' comment, you wont regret it. rangers path is one of the best trails you will ever ride

Pook

Yes

jd-boy
    Free Member

Go ride in the quarry the other side of the road, its much more fun, 3 miles up and a blast coming back down

slowrider
    Free Member

its not as good as rangers imo

docrobster
    Free Member

Nice one thanks for that looking forward to it. Just hope weather stays this side of OK

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon this weekend’ is closed to new replies.