Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Snowdon Routes
  • verbboy
    Free Member

Spur of the moment trip to north wales so not had a chance to research anything yet so….

Any recommendations for routes up / down snowdon? I run a Garmin so I can upload routes on it.

Plan to go early morning(s) if there are more than one route down worth doing.

Best places to park etc.

Any help much appreciated.

scandal42
    Free Member

How techy do you like it?

Llanberis up and Rangers down was great fun and quite testing when I went last year.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have done it a few times by various routes and my favourite is up the llanberris path and down the rangers path. It gets rough in places on the way down but I have done it on a hardtail a couple of times and been fine. I have come back down the llanberris path but wouldn’t again. it was easier but very boring compared to the rangers path.
    I would also recommend finishing the day off with a trip to to the top of the slate quarry’s on the other side of the road. Its a bit of a road ride up but then you get to fly all the way through the quarry on the way down which isn’t hard riding but is so much fun.
    We always park at the big car park by the hotel n llanberris. I think its called the royal Victoria. You then ride up the road a bit and turn right onto the “warm up road climb”

I have gps files for both routes if you want them.

andysredmini at hotmail dot com

jambalaya
    Free Member

On Google – Site:singletrackworld.com Snowdon

Its been duscussed many times – classic is Llanberis up, down rangers and cut onto Telegraph Road (can be easily missed)

GolfChick
    Free Member

I park at base of the rangers, walk up a little and then ride down into llanberis. Then walk up the llanberis and ride down the full rangers. Want to ride down the Rhyd Ddu this year hopefully.

jkomo

We walked up Rhyd Ddu last year with the kids. It’s pretty hairy at the top.

verbboy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies : scandal42 – techy is fine

jamj1974

Jambalaya hits it on the head for me.

verbboy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies : scandal42 – techy is fine.

verbboy
    Free Member

Thanks Jamj1974 and Jambalaya seen this

http://hitthehills.com/2011/12/23/the-best-way-to-cycle-snowdon/

Time to buy a map and download the route.

:-))

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

classic is Llanberis up, down rangers and cut onto Telegraph Road (can be easily missed)

This is correct!

jkomo

How do you guys do it? Stay in a hostel the night before and leave at dawn? Or just go whenever..

GolfChick
    Free Member

depends whether the ban is in order yet. Tend to drive there and back in a day so would be at the top for the 5pm ban lift and then descend in about 20 mins haha. Just means long ish evening drive back. Some nice grub stops around though to replenish before driving.

immybob
    Free Member

how long does the climb up take.?

carlos
    Free Member

Route wise – Up Llanberis, down Llanberis, up Llanberis down The Ranger path and hang a right to finish on Telegraph Alley.

immybob – Member
    how long does the climb up take.?

Depends how fast you walk, how much you ride. Took us just under 1hr, even the second time up

dlr

I thought you couldn’t go on it until after the ban in the evenings (and get off it before the ban starts in the morning) so how do you get to the top ready to come down for 5pm?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

OP when are you going?

colournoise

dlr – Member
    I thought you couldn’t go on it until after the ban in the evenings (and get off it before the ban starts in the morning) so how do you get to the top ready to come down for 5pm?

Voluntary ban is on riding. No issue with pushing up ready to ride for 5pm.

jekkyl

If the cloud is down the obelisk marks the spot where the Rangers path starts, cross over the tracks and down a little yo the right.

yetiman1
    Free Member

Hello @immybob check your Grizedale post please. (Sorry to gatecrash

GolfChick
    Free Member

as colournoise says the ban is on ‘riding your bike on the mountain’ this doesnt cover pushing it up to the top, its about descending it!

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Start at Snowdon ranger station, head up Ranger Path.
    Break left and descend Telegraph Valley into Llanberis.
    Take Llanberis Path to Summit.
    Backtrack and descend via Ranger Path back to where you started.

mildbore

I’ve done both Ranger and Rhyd Dhu, both worthwhile if you like techy. First km of Rhyd Dhu is a push cos of precipitous drop but then all good. Being an old git it takes me a couple of hours to push up from Llanberis and knackered by the top which makes the start of your descent ‘interesting’ but the adrenaline soon kicks in! Would love to do both in a day but it would be too much for me because of the climb. You don’t need to worry about the ban for a month, but my son got told off by a ranger for pushing up before 5pm a couple of years ago (reckon he was being over zealous though)

verbboy
    Free Member

tuskaloosa – driving up tomorrow and staying in the area for 6 days so no idea right this minute

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

If you are going up tomorrow, there is snow on the top at the moment. So take appropriate gear.

oysterkite
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/JI5G37c23Js [/video]

Snowdon, two weeks ago, Sun & Snow

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If you fancy a bit longer day, this is a good route that we did last year:
    Park at Ranger station; up Rangers all way to top; down Rhyd Ddu; short road section back to Rangers station; up bottom section of Rangers; branch left over Telegraph; off-piste right to pick up Llanberis path at mid station; up Llanberis; down Rangers.

dlr

Thanks for the confirmation on the ban 🙂 Surely you can only ride at walking pace going up anyway so perhaps it would be better to just say no descending and if riding uphill, dismount/stop to give way to Ramblers?

dlr

Nice video oysterkite, I must do a trip there this year 🙂

fergal
    Free Member

Nobody actually rides up Snowdon.

whitestone
    Free Member

No STWer actually rides up Snowdon.

FTFY 😆

verbboy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies no wifi where we are staying and no phone signal so whilst that’s great in someways but also quite nice.

im prepared for snow so should be ok 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good luck, let us know how it goes

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ban is riding your bike. Yeah. Why be selfish? Taking a bike during the ban time is all but the same thing. Any anti will not differentiate between pushing and peddaling. Why not just be sociable and wait? In the summer there is plenty of time to leave at 5 pm and be back by dark.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you are going up tomorrow, there is snow on the top at the moment. So take appropriate gear.

Pretty much any time of year. It may be a pretty civilised mountain with a train and a cafe at the top, but it’s still wild country and things can (and do!) go wrong, and the weather can (and does!) change rapidly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@matt sorry to disagree but nomissue at all for me in pushing up. If someone made a comment I’d just point out politely I am walking as is permitted, after 5pm I’ll be riding

verbboy
    Free Member

Well I did it this morning, parked in the Rangers Station car park, the .gpx I downloaded was 98% accurate so didn’t get lost 🙂

Bit foggy so no views at the top but I loved nearly every minute of it.

Quite a few walkers about on the way back down but what a cool descent, not really ridden stuff like that before (ROCKS) and loved it. Have to admit to getting off a few times coming down just to make sure I actually got back in time for the family!

Thanks again for all the tips :-))

mildbore

Glad you enjoyed/survived it. Hoping to get up before the ban myself

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Hoping to get up there myself this summer,just got to get back into doing technical stuff first.

mark88

Quick revival of this thread as I’m taking my girlfriend to Coed-y-Brenin tomorrow so will try to do Snowdon whilst I’m in the area.

From the above information I’m thinking:

Start at Snowdon ranger station, head up Ranger Path.
    Break left and descend Telegraph Valley into Llanberis.
    Take Llanberis Path to Summit.
    Backtrack and descend via Ranger Path back to where you started.

Is it signposted or will I need a map?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon Routes’ is closed to new replies.