Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Snowdon from Rangers Station – Telegraphy Alley all the way to Llanberis?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Park at the Ranger Station, push up zig-zags and head over to Telegraph Alley and down towards Llanberis.

Is it worth cutting across (pushing, of course) before reaching Llanberis (and nearly sea level!) onto the Llanberis path somewhere around the Hebron Station to save some leg work on the road?

I’ve walked this short cut, but cant remember what it was like, about a 1k push I guess. Obviously you miss out on food at Pete’s Eats.

Fingers crossed for reasonable weather on Saturday and not too many rambling after 5pm.

wool

Its all rideable including the zig zigs the cut across to Hebron is a bit cheeky mind 😉

highclimber
    Free Member

Obviously you miss out on food at Pete’s Eats.

That’s no great loss!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Why not just park in Llanberis? Thats what we did.

Wouldn’t fancy the carry up rangers.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

…because I want to ride all the way down the Ranger Path and am camping in Beddgelert? I suppose I could ride from Beddgelert to Llanberis on the road, climb the railway path and ride back to Beddgelert on the Ranger path?

Depends if Telegraph Alley is really worth the ride?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Fair enough. I don’t know what the bottom half of the rangers is like so can’t comment on that but on the map it looks good. Telegraph is just a path with a few water bars along it. Its quite fast but nothing special.

Looking at where you are staying and it seems like you just want to set off on bike, I would say you are best riding the 5 road miles up the B4085 to the rangers station and walking up that. Then coming back the same way. To me that looks the better option than riding the 14 miles to or back from Llanberis.

hp_source

Yes, telegraph is worth the ride up the zig zags, and push/carry up the grassy hill. Watch out for them drainage channels though!

mintimperial

You could go up the Rhyd-Ddu path, that’s a bridleway and it starts just up the road from Beddgelert?

Watch out for them drainage channels though!

And stupid suicidal sheep…

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’ve never walked or ridden the Rhyd Ddu path, but know it would be super techie at the summit, with a push out along the south ridge of Snowdon. Might be a more interesting way up than the Rangers, but pretty hard going. I fancied the Llanberis path as it must be rideable in plenty of places.

I was planning on doing an up and back from Beddgelert forest to the bwlch north of Yr Aran by using the Rhyd Ddu and then continuing straight on along the bridleway that heads East. shame that one is included in the bike ban too.

One advantage of the 15 mile ride to Llanberis is that we can set off from Beddgelert well before 5pm and maybe do some stuff in the woods along the way.

mintimperial

I fancied the Llanberis path as it must be rideable in plenty of places

When we did it maybe 60% of the Llanberis path was rideable by us mortals. Riding up that way is ok but you’re going to be pushing and carrying lots no matter which way you go up. It’s definitely worth it for the ride back down though!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’m certainly very mortal, so would be happy with riding 50% – but it’s all about the way down for me. I must have walked up a dozen times, climbed up by various routes, but never taken a bike up there.

justme
    Free Member

the route you’re proposing is an excellent way of doing it. the zig zags up from the rangers are fine and soon pass but have the added benefit of being the end of a cracking decent from the summit cone to the rangers car park rather than carrying up to go down telegraph IMO don’t do snowden any other way.
    also if you get chance go to the snowden brewery pub which is 10 mins up the road but the opposite way to bedgellert (it also has a camp site) G
    Please be careful not to infringe the ban tho or we will all loose out I’m not sure if telegraph valley is included or not

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Telegraph isnt included in the ban, so assuming a push up the zig zags of roughly and hour, I could set out at about 3pm from the Ranger Station and expect to get to Llanberis to start riding up at 5pm.

I’m still interested in a cheeky shortcut to Hebron though…?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’d recommend parking at Rangers; up bottom of Rangers; cut over Telegraph Alley; cheeky shortcut to Hebron from here; up Llanberis; down Rangers.

We’ve also done up Rangers; down Rhyd Ddu which was a bit “interesting” in the snow! Top of Rhyd Ddu has quite a few obstacles that mere mortals like me have to dismount for. The rest is techy but not silly.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Rhyd Ddu down might be easier in the snow if properly banked up, the “obstacles” on the ridge at the top are pretty significant to a bike! I might walk it over the weekend to take a view on riding down that way some time.

thanks for the link, that’s made my mind up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon from Rangers Station – Telegraphy Alley all the way to Llanberis?’ is closed to new replies.