Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Snowdon Continued
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

A group of us are heading to north wales this weekend. Were going to be doing some trails at coed y brenin on saturday possibly snowdon sunday.

I noticed the the thread about snowdon yesterday I have no intention of going up if its icy because I just wont find it fun.

However the BBC weather report suggest it going to be pretty mild all week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2524

I’ve really no idea what the conditions will be like, is it still likely to be very icy by sunday.

grumm
    Free Member

It’s looking like its going to thaw most of this week, but then get a bit colder around Friday. My guess would be there won’t be much snow and ice left by Sunday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/snowdonia.html

wildrnes
    Free Member

contact coed y brenin and ask what snowdon conditions are going to be

don’t just guess or assume

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’d ask someone in Llanberis on Saturday night. Last time I went up, I stayed at Boulder Adventures in Llanberis, and they had a pretty good idea of what the conditions were / how much snow there was, cos other people staying there had been up the day before.

If you’re staying nearer to Coed-y-Brenin, I’ve had success in the past by phoning up local outdoor centres to ask em if they’ve been out in the hills recently. Or if you have internet access, post on a mountaineering / hill walking forum.

Joe

scu98rkr
    Free Member

ok guys cheers for the ideas

james
    Free Member

“contact coed y brenin and ask what snowdon conditions are going to be”

Why not ask somewhere local? CyB is a fair way away, and if you’re phoning the centre its sort of in their interest for you to go to CyB and not up snowdon if thats the choice.

I would’ve thought asking the local outdoor shops/decent MTB shops if anyones been up very recently is the best bet

will
    Free Member
    grumm
    Free Member

From that webcam it looks like I was right 😛

joemarshall
    Free Member

Llanberis Tourist Info – 01286 870765

give em a call, check what it’s like now.

If you go up the Llanberis track, you can see what the conditions are for the ride down anyway. The bit just after the tunnel under the railway, half way up, is the bit that is most dangerous when icy.

Joe

brooess
    Free Member

Plas-Y-Brenin would be a knowledgeable bunch to call.

TBH if you’re not that confident in winter conditions, Snowdon’ll still be there in a few months time with much less liklihood of risky weather. Snow and ice can stay around on a summit of that height for days or even weeks after the valley floor has been in warm weather…

Olly
    Free Member

MTFU and get up it.
    youve driven all that way, youll feel better at the bottom once youve been up, than if you didnt bother.
    just cause you are picking you way down a babys-head littered skating rink in gale winds doesnt mean it isnt fun?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon Continued’ is closed to new replies.