Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Snowdon, anyone fancy it?
  • maxtorque

At this rate i might have to try to clear my diary for the 27th instead!

maxtorque

2hrs up, 16min down

timc
    Free Member

20th
    maxtorque, Northampton
    Junkyard Lancashire room for 1 possibly two
    Timc, Liverpool (can also do 27th)

27th
    Grum, Hebden Bridge, room for 2 more
    Dark Side, Chester, room for 2 more
    scblurlt , nantwich , room for three more
    Chrism110, Wirral room for one more

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scblurlt
    Free Member

“2hrs up, 16min down”

You can lead the way and get the kettle on at the summit 🙂

andeh

Anyone thinking of going from Sheffield way? I’d be up for riding Rangers again, good route. I had awful weather last time, would be nice to try again.

hora
    Free Member

We did it yesterday- Telegraph, llanberis up down Rangers.

I now agree, whilst pushing up llanberis a lad coming down had zero control of his bike. Mental as he should have stopped. I hated the first part of Rangers apparently lots of new rubble added recently- soon as it went into gully-like switchbacks I loved it- on a slab on this part I was sideways laughing. The next bit of say 20m’s I walked as it needed talent. That was the hardest bit.

Weather was spot on. Lots of low cloud at top but CAN NOT complain. You’ll love it! 😀

scblurlt
    Free Member

20th
    maxtorque, Northampton

27th
    scblurlt + willio , nantwich , room for one more

Dark-Side

How long did it take you Hora? Can’t wait for this!

hora
    Free Member

The push up isn’t bad. If I had the bike weight in my backpack it’d been 100% easier on the last 2/5’s. More hassle than hard. Glad I did it. Walkers were all great.

Well worth the visit. Relax. I was soo tense on the build up that I ran too much psi than my comfort zone and on a return I’d enjoy it more. Hang on. Whats your route?

trailhound
    Free Member

Been wanting to do this for ages too, but didn’t fancy it on my own. Can do either date, am travelling from Llangollen with room for 2more.

hora
    Free Member

Oops. We started at 12ish finished at 4?

johnnygooner
    Free Member

Apols for delayed response;

20th
    maxtorque, Northampton

27th
    scblurlt + willio , nantwich , room for one more
    johnnygooner, Chester but at this stage I dpon’t think I’ll be travelling direct from Chester so cant make use of the lift share offer. Thanks anyway darkside. If that changes I’ll let you know.

Looking forward to it.
    How exciting!

Lifer
    Free Member

Chatted to my riding buddy on Saturday, is a bit too short notice for us both but will be aiming for a long weekend (riding Friday-Monday) in the New Year. BikePark Wales and Snowdon on the list so far, what else is worth a look in between?

Probably April/March time will post nearer the time. Have fun!

boxfish
    Free Member

We did it yesterday- Telegraph, llanberis up down Rangers.

We started at 12ish finished at 4?

We were up there at the same time and also took the Rangers most of the way back. Did 2 of your group puncture on the trail back into Llanberis? If so, you were shouting at me to “keep pedalling” as we passed you on the descent while you waited for your mates.

It was a great day. Snowdon lessons learned for me are:

1. A granny ring would be very welcome on the way up the Llanberis. 32t x 11:36 was a struggle.
    2. I was very glad of big tyres (Hans Dampfs) on the way down, especially on the loose rocky stuff
    3. Next time I would plan to go on a weekday, weather permitting. It was like Piccadilly Circus up there.

Top weekend, all in all. Spent a few hours around the Cli-machx trail yesterday, followed by a spin down Sustrans route 8 to Barmouth and back from our base in Dolgellau.

hora
    Free Member

Nah we finished in Rhyd du (sp)

scblurlt
    Free Member

Got a few more people interested , what route are we thinking of ??

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The Rhyd ddu descent is also pretty damned good.

If you’re making a full day of it and you don’t mind hike-a-bike, try Up Rangers > Down Rhyd ddu > Up Telegraph/Llanberis > Down Rangers.

Fish-eye lens exagerates a little but you get the idea. Some serious exposure.

(sorry for linking an MBR pic)

Pook

Hora ^ that’s why I wanted to do rhyd Ddu back down!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Is anyone leaving from the Leicestershire area? Id like to tag along…no car at the minute.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I could get the train to a pick up point if need be, well up for this none of my mates have ever been up for snowdon.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I will start a new thread on snowdon for the 20 th as i cannot do 27 th

Dark-Side

Got a few more people interested , what route are we thinking of ??

I’m quite open to the route. I have to admit, the MBR route did interest me but I’m happy to go with the flow. I guess we should should get start times and meeting points arranged too.

scblurlt
    Free Member

like the look of the route out of rangers car park then down telgraph valley up lanberis then all the way down rangers 🙂

meet time is the earlier the better for me as if the weather is half decent , there will still be plenty of folk about

grum
    Free Member

Are people still up for the 27th? I am if the weather looks reasonable.

grum
    Free Member

I saw the thread with the pics of big bags of rocks all over it though – sounds like it might be slightly ruined. 🙁

scblurlt
    Free Member

“I saw the thread with the pics of big bags of rocks all over it though – sounds like it might be slightly ruined. “

spoke to a lad who did this route on saturday , he mentioned the bulk bags of stone , but said he could get round most of it , and had a blast , two of us are still up for it and will go with the flow as far as routes are concerned

Dark-Side

I’m very much still up for it on the 27th

grum
    Free Member

Ok well I’m still up for it if the weather looks ok.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’m riding down rangers on Friday. I’ll let you folks know how it is, regarding the new additions, when I return.

chrism110
    Free Member

im also stiil up for the 27th

johnnygooner
    Free Member

Is this still on?

Any thoughts/comments/comparisions to help me decide if I’m up to it?

Would love to do this

RoterStern
    Free Member

Without having to trawl through the thread. I it is still on for the 27th when and where are everyone meeting? As I am flying in on the 25th and would be up for it if someone is allowed to bring a hardtail!

grum
    Free Member

Don’t think there’s been any firm arrangements made yet. The weather isn’t looking great right now (windy and rainy) but if things improve I’m still up for it. Saturday currently looks a better day but it might all change.

Don’t know if anyone fancies trying to bite the bullet and take charge for the 27th? Maybe start a new thread? Not me obviously. 🙂

fervouredimage
    Free Member

My Friday descent was fine. Weather was poor, visibility was poor, wind was up at the summit but still had a problem free run down rangers. We got to the summit for 8.30am and started down at 9.30. The bags are in the way obviously but they aren’t going to suddenly creep up on you and you’ll just have to make alternative cheeky lines.

The ascent was the most difficult with the wind and rain really trying to push us backwards but it was worth the effort. Met no walkers at all coming down either. Have fun.

smeg
    Free Member

Snowdon Marathon this Saturday, starts at 10:30. So road closures & will be busy.

Hope the new stone laying doesn’t spoil the Rangers descent, it’s fine as it is. Must be quite boggy at the bottom though at the moment, the bit before going up the hill to Telegraph Valley.

maurizio
    Free Member

Did it this weekend with the Sheffield Uni club – incredible day, to any of you on the fence, go for it!! bring something warm/dry to change into mind..

rock bags – it definitely cuts up the descent, but it’s not the end, you can get round a few, some require more inventive approaches (either on a ledge or sliding down the bank)- and the bottom wasnt too boggy considering torrential rain

Roter Stern – while most of our group we’re on enduro/dh bikes.. i was on a 26″ ss rigid and made it down everything just fine. Bring the bike your happiest on and enjoy!!

grum
    Free Member

Saturday

Overnight showers will clear to give a much drier and brighter day with some sunny spells and just a slight risk of an isolated shower. Staying breezy and it will be cooler than recent days. Turning wet and windy once again late in the afternoon.

Sunday

The unsettled theme continues, with scattered showers following the clearance of the band of rain through the morning. Some of the showers could be heavy and thundery at times. Showers continuing through the rest of the period, accompanied by strong west to southwesterly winds.

Not sure I can be arsed shlepping all that way and up a big hill if it’s going to be windy and thundery. I like nice views! Call me soft if you like.

Could still change though – if we got saturdays weather instead we’d be laughing.

johnnygooner
    Free Member

Seeing as how this has gone a bit quiet, I’m getting off the fence. I’m gonna do this on Sunday. I’m gonna park up somewhere at the very bottom of the Rangers path, push/ride up to the telegraph hill ‘junction’ turn left to head into Llanberis before ascending the Llanberis path then descending the Rangers path all the way back down to the van. If I don’t bottle too much of the descent I might even consider re-ascending to come down the Rhyd-ddu but that will largely depend on how much I’ve minced and how much time is left on the clock. I’ve just booked the last spot for Saturdays uplift at Antur Stiniog so I’m gonna make a weekend of it and consequently can’t see me being at the car park much before 10am. Anyone who wants to come with to ride/walk/coax is more than welcome. I’ll be in a little white Astravan. Come and say hello if you’re about x

Dark-Side

I’m still up for it. I’m in Germany at the moment but will be back later today and can start a separate thread with details if need be. I’ll aim to be there for 10am too then.

grum
    Free Member

Woke up with rotten man flu this morning. Looking unlikely for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon, anyone fancy it?’ is closed to new replies.