Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Snowdon advice
  • reevil
    Free Member

Plotting a camping trip to North Wales to include Antur Stiniog and Snowdon.

When’s the best time to do Snowdon?
    I’m thinking May, June or July. Midweek during holidays presumably better.
    I know about the restrictions and am happy to climb up before sunrise and ride down early, so I guess I’m really asking when to go for best weather.
    How long to push up and how long to ride down?

Xylene
    Free Member

Boring! I thought this was going to be how to evade detection or break out of an embassy

duncancallum

It’s harder than I thought.

Give your self 5 hours all done as it’s a bit of a slog n it would be a shame to waste the early morning light at the summit rushing to get back down

RobHilton
    Free Member

It ain’t easy going! I do Llanberis push up in 2.5 hours, have struggled up Rangers in 3 – wouldn’t recommended it…

Rangers descent is about 20 mins if you like rocks. If you come down Llanberis prepare to hit warp speed and please don’t do it while there are walkers around.

Onzadog
    Free Member

We’ve usually had pretty good luck going during the week just before the ban kicks in.

Edric64
    Free Member

On the other hand we walked it at the end of June last year with wind up to 60 /70 mph and it poured with rain and the visibility was terrible

olly2097
    Free Member

Done rangers a few years back. Too technical for me.

Did Llanberis path twice since Xmas. Great fun.

2 hours up for me. Allow half hour down if it’s covered in walkers, you’ll stopping a lot to give way.

New or good brake pads are a must for the Llanberis descent. Steep in places.

Personally I’d try and get up for 0900 and be down by 0930 if I was doing it this time of year.

Was snow on top when I did it last week. Still great fun though.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

the pedal/push up Llanberis takes abt 2 to 2.5hrs and Rangers take anywhere between 25 to 45 mins depending on walkers and you need to res. Enjoyed the Rangers descent, technical but fun.

Telegraph Road is a hoot.

Not sure bat ideal time but if you go during the banned hours I guess nothing like trying to catch sunrise atop weather permitting.

lister

Go in mid June/early July and go up in the late afternoon and descend in the light evening. If you just do the Llanberis path up and down you can go up at 5pm and be in the Shites for drinkies by 8pm easy.

oldejeans
    Free Member

The best time to do Snowdon is when the weather is good

This was on December 28th. It was quite busy, not that it mattered. Use common sense to avoid the busiest times, regardless of the time of year. Up Llanberis path well within 2 hours, then down Rangers and then Telegraph, where I sliced my front tyre……

pedlad

It’s a big hill so OP – weather on top can be anything from a bluebird day as above to a howling gale. Have to judge it with the forcasts adn be willing to be flexible about when you do it.

If you get the weather it’s a cracking day out. We did the rangers up and down for logistical reasons – 2:03 hrs up (pushing about 60%) and 1:05 down with majority ridden, just a walk down just two short gappy rocky sections.

natrix
    Free Member

Don’t forget breakfast at Pete’s Eats cafe in Llanberis afterwards 8)

bigdaddy

You can ride 70-80% of the way up Llanberis path which reduces the time it takes – I did it in an hour and a quarter in the summer – then 20 mins down again. Weather was foul though, and that was in August!

reevil
    Free Member

Magic. Thanks guys.

So best will be up Llanberis and down the Rangers (snigger) I’ll have my 180mm big bike and love techy DH.

boltonjon

If you want a bit of adventure – try the Rhyd Ddu Path – its pretty bloody bonkers in places with fantastic section along a ridge

It does drop you down on the wrong side of the mountain but its a fairly easy 300m climb back up to a path which will lead you back into Llanberis

However, if its your first time up Snowdon – do the Rangers path – bloody good fun 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

So best will be up Llanberis and down the Rangers (snigger) I’ll have my 180mm big bike and love techy DH.

Yes – and you will love it.

Personally I’d do it in the evening in June or July, expecting Rangers and Telegraph Valley to be quiet by the time I was descending about 7.30pm.

chakaping
    Free Member

PS. Way up should be under 2hrs if you’re in OK shape, hour or so for descent, as there’s a little climb/push involved.

There’s a Strava segment for the whole route, I’m on at 3:09…
    https://www.strava.com/activities/7232685/segments/1932617451

Sadly I no longer hold the KOM for the Rangers descent.

🙁

reevil
    Free Member

Perfect. Thanks Chakaping.

Just need the Director Against Having Fun to authorise it now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon advice’ is closed to new replies.