Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Snowboarding after ACL reconstruction.
  • jimr80
    Free Member

In the last 15 months i have had ACL reconstructions to both knees, with the last op being end of January this year. My mates are looking to book up for next season and are eager for me to tag along as usual. I have missed the last 2 seasons due to the ruptured ACLs and have since rehabed my knees to the point where nearly all day to day movements are fine. I’m a bit hesitant to commit which seem daft as i know their as good as before if not stronger through rehab.
    So has anyone had experience of this and any tips should i decide to go (i really want to).

PS i have a meeting with my surgeon in late December to discuss how ever my mates are looking to get booked.

drofluf
    Free Member

Friend of mine is back skiing after a single reconstruction so as snowboarding is supposed to put less stress on your knees you should be ok. But every case is different so check with your surgeon

wanmankylung
    Free Member

rehabed my knees to the point where nearly all day to day movements are fine.

You need to up the rehab then. Is there not a knee class at your local hospital’s physio dept. If you are already attending this, which you should be, then speak to the physios and get them to construct a specific program for you.

jimr80
    Free Member

May i should quantify what i mean by day to day movements.

I have a manual job being a carpenter which at the moment involve lots of climbing up and down roofs and generally heavy awkard manual handling.
    I got back riding after week 6 post op(road) and MTB after 9 weeks. Now riding at least 4 times a week. Gym twice a week doing weights, balance and explosive exercises. Programs all laid down by my physio who happens to be one of my bestest friends. Any niggles i have are ITB related which i’m keeping on top of with foam rollers and stretching.

So back to the boarding.
    drofluf, does your mate use a knee brace / suppoert whists sking?

russ295
    Free Member

Dont take this the wrong way but how is your snowboarding?
    Reason i ask is, if your riding shoulders forward and using your trailing leg to kick the board around to turn, your knees are going to get tired and stressed pretty quickly.

jimr80
    Free Member

Russ,
    I am by no way an expert, however I don’t kick the board around unless on steep rough terrain or get tried.
    I’m think it’s more of a confidence thing with the Kneesall being acutely aware their previous condition.

tallie
    Free Member

I snapped my ACL 3 weeks before a family ski holiday and managed to go and board although I didn’t go off piste or jump and it was my rear leg.

Since I’ve had it reconstructed it’s been largely fine boarding even when riding switch – it does twinge occasionally but I stretched or damaged most of the other ligaments when I snapped my ACL so that’s probably to be expected. I’d suggest if you’re a reasonable boarder and you’re at the stage of rehab where you’re happy doing the figure of 8 running test then you’ll probably be fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Snowboarding after ACL reconstruction.’ is closed to new replies.