Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Snowboarders: talk to me about impact shorts (Warning: gratuitous hairyarse pic)
  • GrahamS

I did this last week at Xscape:

It hurt. 😳

Apparently if I’d been wearing impact shorts then I would be able to sit down without wincing by now.

So anyone got any experience of them (specifically for boarding) and have any idea where I can get them during the “off-season”?

flatfish
    Free Member

i’ve got some and they’re brill, dianese i think wouldn’t ride a board without them now

genesis
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigDummy
    Free Member

I know we were warned, but I’m not sure I was prepared. 😯

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve got a photo of my missus’ bum with a bigger bruise than that from and MTB fall, she didnt find it amusing either!

Bunnyhop

Lol @ BigDummy.

cinnamon_girl

Blimey! I don’t believe it! TWO pics of men’s ar$es in one day on the forum 😯

Bunnyhop

c_g I missed the other one!

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Also have a look at rugby under-shorts, many motocross riders use these as they tend to be a bit cheaper.

GrahamS

I can assure you that the camera adds 20 pounds.

And gives the illusion of a milk bottle complexion.

And monkey hair.

😳 😳 😳

Shandy
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of Dainese, they’re fine.

I’m not sure the coccyx(sp?!) protection is worth it, it provides very little support and makes the shorts much more uncomfortable.

Hip/pelvis protection is where its at, those are the boney bits that get very painful from repeated falls.

GrahamS

I’ve a pair of Dainese, they’re fine.

Interesting. I looked at these Dianese shorts:

http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/dainese-snowboard-helmets-and-protection.htm

My first thought was “that cocyx protection looks bloody uncomfortable” – can you wear them backwards and use it as a codpiece? 😉

robarnold
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the Dianese ones and the cocyx protector is indeed pretty bloody awkward, wouldn’t wear them if you intend to be sitting on a bicycle seat by any means, not bad for freeriding on snow though

Shandy
    Free Member

The cocyx thing is uncomfortable and adds to the nappy effect. I did actually break my cocyx whilst wearing them. I’m not sure if they made it better or worse, it would have been nasty either way. In fact it was so bad I had to have a quick check to see if my ring was still in one piece! 😯

colnagokid

Ive got some 661 (i think) ones, comfy to wear, no hard-armour. Well worth having

scaredypants

I have some 661 ones as well – comfy enough to ride* a bike all day

*chairlift biking

BlingBling
    Free Member

Dianese here too the cocyx thing protected me just fine on the sheet ice 😉

Tracey

We have all got the Dianese and never had a problem with the cocyx protector

Tracey

LoulaBella
    Free Member

More hairy arse pics please.

GrahamS

I’m mainly looking at them for riding rails, so I guess cocyx protection is a good idea – even if it does look a little awkward.

LoulaBella: any special requests? 😉

EdwardH

I have had a pair of Dianese for about 6 years and dont find them at all uncomfortable. Though they still dont stop the arse cheeks ripped apart feeling of land flat on yer bum sidee-ways

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I think I’m going to invest in some impact type shorts – did the same in March this year. Came off a rail straight onto my hip – it still gives me some grief in the mornings 3/4months on.

Helmets – also going to invest in one this year. I think its the biking, but after 20 years of snow holidays with no problems (skiing and snowboarding – snowparks included) I just don’t want to risk it any more.

Bunnyhop

Oh don’t start him off on the helmet debate, we had all this in January. 🙂

GrahamS

Actually I’m in the market for a helmet as well – they are compulsory at Xscape and the rental ones are a bit minging. I’m currently resorting to wearing a buff between my pristine napper and the sweaty dome.

Mind you… if I hadn’t been wearing a helmet then I probably wouldn’t have been riding the rails and got my arse in that state…

😉

genesis
    Free Member

Usually wear my 661 skate lid for snowboarding tbh.

BoardinBob

16 years of snowboarding I’ve never bothered with impact shorts.

Just learn how to stop falling and you wont need them 😉

GrahamS

Well, 16 years boarding and I evidentally still fall.
    If you don’t fall then you just aren’t trying hard enough. 😛

Travis

would the 661 shorts with D30 work well?

GrahamS

would the 661 shorts with D30 work well?

Looks interesting, but would they offer any cocyx protection?

I’ve been looking at the Dainese and RED shorts.

Dainese look a bit better as they have mesh bits so they will be a bit less sweaty. Plus they got plenty of experience in body armour from MotoX. But they are £80 and I can get the RED ones for £35.

BoardinBob

If you don’t fall then you just aren’t trying hard enough.

Nope. I’m just f*cking magic! 😀

GrahamS

Mleh. 🙄 I rarely fall when just cruising about on the slopes on holiday. So I’ve never bothered with impact shorts or a helmet before.

But I’m only just getting into freestyle properly and falling is an inevitable part of the game.
    Even the pros in the X-Games/Olympics take a tumble – so if you don’t then you’re just not trying.

Put it this way: what is the best trick you can nail? And what would happen if you tried to take it up a level?

BoardinBob

I gave up on freestyle stuff a few years back and mainly do backcountry freeride stuff now but I used to compete regularly back in the day. Comfortably landed b/s & f/s 720s, 900s were pushing it. McTwists and Haakon Flips in the pipe.

I bruised myself more in my first two weeks on a snowboard, than I ever did from then on.

GrahamS

Lol, I’m more at the poser-slide / straight-air level – just learning freestyle.

On “real slopes” I prefer to just mess about in deep powder.
    Never really had the money to do proper heli/cat-drop backcountry, but off-piste is always fun.

I bruised myself more in my first two weeks on a snowboard, than I ever did from then on.

Agreed, but I was in my teens when I was learning the basics, so it didn’t hurt. I’m 34 now and my magical healing powers and bouncability are not what they once were. 😕

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Snowboarders: talk to me about impact shorts (Warning: gratuitous hairyarse pic)’ is closed to new replies.