Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Snowboard help please.
  • juiced
    Free Member

If I was slightly over the recommended upper weight limit of freeride snowboard would it still ride well. I would be about 1/2 stone over when fully kitted up. ie 12 stone for a recommended rider weight of 11.5 max.
    The board is a little stiffer than others too. Thing is I cannot go any longer in the board as I am short, and do not want a wider board as I ahve small feet.

Any help is geat. Cheers.

I would say you would be fine especially if its stiff. The main problem with riding a board thats not the right size is it being too stiff or not stiff enough? It sounds like if its a little stiff and its new it will be fine, once you break it in and you start getting more confident on it it will ease up and you should be going hard and fast enough to make use of its pop.

How often would you be boarding? If its one or two hols a year then your not guaranteed powder in which case the board will be fine on piste, and if you get lucky and get a pow day then I should imagine you wil be fine maybe just slide the bindings back a setting (or even just the back binding?) Honestly I wouldnt worry about sinking or anything I rode my missus board once in powder and I just tanked it and it stayed up!

Shandy
    Free Member

If its a freeride board and you don’t ride switch a lot then it might not matter much going up a length.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers. At the moment I ride a 145 on the dryslope and have gone up a size to a 150 on this board, which will be a snow only holiday board. ( not a season board).Just figured if I am slightly heavier
    the board may not ride well.The 145 comes up to my nose, so i figured a 150 up to my eyes would be fine.

Cheers

martinxyz
    Free Member

It sounds like all will be fine but where are you getting the idea that you cannot go up to certain lengths because of your height? If you chose not to buy a certain length of board as it “doesnt come up to your chin or nose or whatever” and it meant that you would suffer once riding it over certain conditions due to the extra weight.. would you still go out and buy a board that is supposedly the correct length for your height? I wouldnt.

If you were 5ft tall and 15 stone with size 7 boots, you couldnt ride a board thats a decent width for your feet along with it being,say, 140cm on the likes of groomed snow (wont mention powder here) and expect to tank around the mountain on it. You might be able to slide or spin around on it in a fun park but for all mountain playing about you would have to go up to something that can cope with the weight your placing on it or you could be finding yourself riding at 90% when theres so much more to be had.. if you had the right board.

Ive still got a board from 96 thats too short for tanking about on now that i weight 14 stone. its just not useable and i dont get on with it at all. when i was 11 stone it was amazing.. it was a great all rounder.

Theres other things you could run into as well. I found out that on Cairngorm i couldnt use a certain length of board with whatever sidecut it had as i just couldnt turn it within some of the runs. I could slide it, but never cut a proper turn on it.If you arent going to be limited between snow fences then this wouldnt stand out so maybe it wont be a prob.Just thought i would mention what i stumbled into a while back!

Speak to someone that has boarded where you plan on using it and try and get a shot of some demos as only you will know what feels right. Hopefully folk that have the local area knowledge along with board knowledge will narrow down the search and make it as easy as poss for you.

juiced
    Free Member

thanks. Main reason for length of board theory is the stance I like and ease of turning, with the given sidecut. Also it’s nice the have something that can be spun at the park.Also I am learning to ride switch.

juiced
    Free Member

thanks for your help everyone. 😀

Shandy
    Free Member

If you want something to spin and learn to ride switch then an out-and-out freeride board might not be your best bet. I had a Yukon for a couple of seasons which was great for what it was intended for, but a wee bit too stiff for mucking about on. I got a Wall Pro after that which didn’t hold an edge or track through chop quite as well but was much more versatile and fun for mucking around on. I’m looking at the minute and if I do buy I’ll probably go for a Slayblade or a DH2.4.

juiced
    Free Member

ok.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

hey juiced the whole board to height relation is like an old wives tale mate 😀

What stance width and angles do you ride with at present, also what board have you got for the mountain and what riding do you do most park piste pow?

juiced
    Free Member

currently have 21 inch stance.centre of binding to centre of binding. duckfoot. goofy. left binding at 22degrees. right binding at 8 degrees. Board is a (very old) freestyle board. Length 145. Forgive me if I have sinned 🙄

Looking to get a twin tipped Freeride / All mountain board.

Mainly ride piste, although I am learning switch and can ride smallish kickers. Looking to learn 360’s. I thought about a park board but it will mainly be used for riding on piste. More interested in fun than out and out speed.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I learned on a short board 154 which was fine for piste. But it was hard work in soft snow. I bought a 159 which was better off piste, brilliant with the bindings set back. I’ve rented 160, 163 wide, 165 etc and adjust within half an hour.

I think you will be fine.

juiced
    Free Member

ok cheers.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

look at a directional twin all mountain board, if you go rockered then this WILL float in pow on a shorter length and great to ride switch as all directional twins are. Depeneding on how experienced you are I would stay away from stiff boards as you have to ride these with conviction otherwise they will bite back.

If your going to buy in the resort then demo as many as you can back to back, if you going to buy before you go what boards are you looking at?

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

The length will depend on the board too, I ride a malolo 154 which is a tapered freeride board and because of the rocker floats and slashes the pow like no other board I have ridden, yet still able to blast on piste and my piste boards is a 158 burton custom x

juiced
    Free Member

i may also do some offpiste. Been looking at general do it all boards about £250 mark, so nothing too pricey. I think the ideal sitaution rather like bikes is to own a few 😉

I like many which are expensive, but tbh boarding will always come second to biking. I do however like Burton boards and also LibTech.

I think the thing to do is get something of an allrounder and then with my own persoanl preferences determined more get something better, ( if reach this stage). An old board can always be relegated to dryslope use.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

have a look at atomic hatchet good all rounder and you should be able to find one for around £260

juiced
    Free Member

Look’s ideal

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

it comes in a 150 😀 you may have to hunt around for it

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

or should I say 149 or 153 either would be fine

juiced
    Free Member

thanks i’ll have a look now.

juiced
    Free Member

found onein 153. Also found a k2 format in 153 on sale.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

hey juiced nice one, head over to gone boarding site and check with those guys too 🙂 pretty sure they will recommend the same as they rave about the hatchet as an all round board.

may even find a decent used one for sale on the classifieds too

stevomcd
    Free Member

Just my opinion, but if you’re 12 stone a 145 is way too short. Way, way too short! You should be riding something in the mid 150’s. Don’t worry about your height, weight is much more important than height for sizing snowboards. Riding something 155ish will make no difference to your switch or park riding – might even help a bit as your teeny-tiny board is probably a bit unstable at the moment.

Fear not the long board! Current fashion seems to be heading back towards tea-tray size boards, but we must resist! (My quiver includes a 167, 168 and 169!).

stumpynya12
    Free Member

+ 1 for the Atomic Hatchet and if it helps I’m 71kg umpa lumpa (aka short) and my 159 rides like a good un in all situations, except when I’m on my arse of course 😳

juiced
    Free Member

i am only just within the max weight restrictions for the 153 atomic. Doesn’t give me much movement really. Stance would be fine at this length though.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Snowboard help please.’ is closed to new replies.