Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • snowboard advice please
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Hi guys, i want to start learning to snowboard and as i live in MK im very close to the dome which is handy. Im 5″11 with size 10.5 feet and used to skateboard goofy? Right foot forward? Well i need some advice on what board to choose, 2nd hand at this time, and bindings and clothes if possible as i want to keep the costs down but not spoil my enjoyment. Thanks in advance.

Ewan
    Free Member

I’m 6ft with size 10.5 feet and ride a 157cm Batelon Golliath, Salomon boots, and Salomon bindings. Make sure you get a rocker type board, it’s vastly easier and stops you catching edges and bining it onto your head (also get a helmet – they’re ‘cool’ now too!).

TSA at the snowdome will let you demo boards which is quite handy – that said you really need to be able to board a bit to have at least half a clue about what you perfer. Maybe hire for a while? Get your own boots tho as that makes a lot of difference, and when you do buy consider matching your bindings brand to your boots – I didn’t to start with, but now I do it works a lot better.

Euro
    Free Member

You can get decent kit at TK Max for not much money.

p.s. if you can skate then you won’t need to learn how to board as you already know (but just don’t know it yet).

fd3chris
    Free Member

cheers guys for the advice so far its much appreciated.

Euro
    Free Member

I wish i could give more advice on what board to use but i really don’t know. It’s been a good 10 years since i boarded and I had to look up rocker to see what it was. Mine is an old nidecker and its a camber style (didn’t know that until there now). But go for one that’s the same shape front and back. Mines not (back end is much squarer) and it makes going switch and landing fakie very interesting. Luckily snow’s much softer than concrete 😀

Hareydan
    Free Member

I was in a similar situation, I managed to beg, borrow and steal the equipment but still needed clothes. I picked up some ski/snowboard pants from tk max for £30 (although you might struggle to find winter gear in there now) and a decent jacket in mountain warehouse for £35. Sizing is on the large side though, I’m 6 foot tall and the medium jacket is big on me! It’s not the coolest looking kit in the world but got me through a week in the alps recently! Also, http://www.surfanic.com is worth checking out too, especially this time of year. Enjoy!

Woody
    Free Member

As ^^ and I wouldn’t be buying a board just yet as the progression curve is quick. If you do decide to buy, there are plenty boards on fleabay for next to nothing, especially at this time of year. Same goes for boots and gear but I would use caution on buying boots second hand as they could be packed down or uncomfortable and will ruin the experience. Also don’t go for anything too stiff initially (board, boots AND bindings) as it will just make the whole experience more difficult and hamper improvement.

I picked up a like new Flow Solitude for <£80 but can’t comment on how much easier a rocker is as it will be the first one I’ve tried.

Just debating whether to get the bike out or hit the slopes this afternnon 😀

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

If your going to be riding mainly at MK to begin with (that and the fact the season is about to end shortly) then I would go for around a 154 – 158 size board. since the rise and redesign of all the different cambers how you size a board up for someone has changed. Before it was done mainly on rider height. Now its more to do with weight, feet size and rider style/aspiration. With your budget aiming at the second hand market then get as decent a board around those sizes as you can find. Avoid any big mountain, freeride or powder boards as they will be quite stiff and harder to turn. In turn that could lead to you to catch more edges. Try for a more all mountain, freestyle, park board. It will be more suited to indoor riding and easier to use and learn on.

Good luck. Welcome to the world of frozen sliding.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks guys for all the advice 🙂

turbo1397
    Free Member

As ewan above.. im 6 4″ and ride a bataleon goliath with salomon bindings and salomon boots.. 🙂

leffeboy

As above. If you get a chance to flex (twist) the board before you try it then softer boards will be easier to learn to turn properly on.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you’re going to buy anything buy trousers, boots and impact shorts (the basic 661 bike ones with no rigid plastic are okay for boarding good and cheaper than boarding crash shorts) You’ll need you own gloves. Winter bike gloves would do the job. A BMX helmet is fine for the dome – no wind chill.

Jacket isn’t really necessary at the dome – I find a thick hoody with a long sleeve T and a base layer underneath is fine.

MK will give lend a board that’ll be fine to learn on and you can try different sizes easily. If you develop a bit more the Snowboard Asylum will have a variety of demo boards and good advice.

SCUK membership should get you decent discounts on time at the snowdome.

Not buying a board right now and not getting too carried away going to MK every week will be a good start to saving up for your first trip to the mountains 🙂

See the other recent snowboard threads if you absolutely must buy a board. You’ll find an astonishing lack of consensus. April is a good time to buy – but I’d wait until next April – and buy new.

passtherizla
    Free Member

You don’t need a rocker board. I’ve ridden all sorts and prefer traditional camber everytime, although flat camber is nice. Go to mk try some out i believe they have demo boards at the shop and you just but slope time to ride them. Rocker may well be your thing.

156/157 ish sounds about right if you ride duck you might get away with a non-wide board.

Buy new boots, the ones that fit best not the prettiest ones! unless they’re the best fit of course.

Get over to http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk and have a look at the forum, classifieds is good on there too, they will give you all teh advice you need and you may well find someone looking for people to ride/learn with.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Ive just got a pair of trousers cheap from ebay and my bike gloves and hoody and such can be used, so the rest i can hire, as you guys advise, luckily my gf has a friend who has a friend etc that teachers there and so a lesson isnt going to cost too much just to get the basics .

stevomcd
    Free Member

All the “lift passes” for MK include gear hire, so I’d go with that until you get your head around things a bit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘snowboard advice please’ is closed to new replies.