Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Snow What Snow
  • teef
    Free Member

I live in the South East of England and have hardly seen any snow. Where I live we've had about 1/4 inch in total over the last week. On the weekend a drove from one side of Surrey down to Hampshire and the deepest I saw was approx 2 inches – all the roads were clear. Is it the usual media scare stories or does this snow actually exist?

lowey

Between 5 inches and 6 here in sunny Bolton

teef
    Free Member

Between 5 inches and 6 here in sunny Bolton

My point was that the worst of it is supposed to be in the South East and as far as I can see there's hardly snow at all.

cranberry
    Free Member

I think an ickle bit of snow fell on parts of the South yesterday – for some reason their local traffic news was deemed to be important to the rest of the country.

🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

It seems to be worse in some parts than others:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8425718.stm

My mate's wife works for Microsoft in Reading and many had to stay in the office overnight.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Basingstoke this morning:

According to the image painted by Radio 4 this morning.

It was like a WAR ZONE, apparently.

I believe that Stalingrad was only a skirmish in comparison.

Keva
    Free Member

I sat in the pub yesterday afternoon watching a couple of inches of snow fall after work told us we could leave at around 14:30. Apparently it took people something like six hours to drive twenty odd miles, some people were stuck in their cars overnight, I got home in about ten minutes on a bicycle ?

it's pathetic.

DudleyPoyson
    Free Member

I live in Kent (Medway area) and we had about 5 or 6 inches on Friday. Driving home from Cambridge yesterday evening there was a lot of heavy snow falling on the M11, and probably had about an inch or two in the 90 mins I was stuck pootling along at 5mph.

No snow in Kent last night though

MrOvershoot

No snow at all in Liverpool or on the Wirral, but then thats what being right next to the sea and on the gulf stream does.

samuri
    Free Member

Well I'm working midway between Bolton with it's 6 inches and Liverpool with it's none and we've got oooh, about 3 inches. 😉

grumm
    Free Member

My point was that the worst of it is supposed to be in the South East and as far as I can see there's hardly snow at all.

Wow so the London-based media are making a disproportionate fuss about a tiny amount of snow in their area? Well I never. 🙂

binners

We're just used to it up north and rely on our general tendancy to get on with it. As Lowey pointed out, we've had 5-6 inches. Nowt unusual

I'm flabergasted that the south east hasn't managed to cope. Its a part of the country I normally associate with being stoic and uncomplaining. And not at all a bunch of shandy-drinking wusses, who throw there arms up in blind panic when anything remotely untoward happens 😀

Aristotle
    Free Member

I believe that emergency Espresso machines are being laid on by the Red Cross.

It's being paid for by donations from the people of Helmand who have heard of their plight.

brakes
    Free Member

the problems in London and the South East were compounded yesterday by the flurry of snow coming just before a rush hour which was very busy due to last minute Christmas shoppers, the snow got compacted very quickly, then it rained making it like glass – cars just couldn't get anywhere so it created mayhem

leggyblonde
    Free Member

what brakes said, it was the rain getting compacted ontp snow causing sheet ice in places.

Lol@Aristotle though!

This was in zone 5 last friday 🙂

DickBarton

We have a covering in Stirling (I'd say 1" – all main roads are clear and pavements aren't bad, still loads of grass showing as well) but pretty much heehaw, a serious disappointment – I'd like to sue the Met Office as surely someone is to be blamed for this travesty of not providing enough snow for the whole country to revel in it!!!

lowey

Lol at Binners and Aristotle 😀

matt_outandabout

Aye, bugger all here really. Mind it was -12 last night and still is -7… 8)

jam-bo

looks like plenty of people have got there auto-responders on.

orena45

I've not seen a single snow flake here in Cornwall, in fact this is currently the sunniest it's been all **** year! 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Snow What Snow’ is closed to new replies.