• This topic has 49 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Snow warnings…
  • Sandwich

There was sleet falling as I got to the office this morning. I killed and ate my workmate as a precaution.

onehundredthidiot

We had proper snow last friday in Hawick, a school bus fell off the road to newcastleton. The councils reaction was, I think, a reflection of this.

Saying that amber warning, barely a sprinkle, school pretty empty.

docs
    Free Member

A disappointing lack of snow in Harrogate, just windy again 🙁

Drac

^^^ I don’t think so. It’s the north of the UK, it’s winter. It snows, it usually does, why are the media making such a big issue about it now when they didn’t do so 5 or 10 yrs ago

They’ve made a big thing of it for well over 10 years.

molgrips
    Free Member

People have always made a thing out of it. It’s just now there is far more news bandwith to fill, so it’s taking over the role of the gossipy women at the post office.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

snow.. whats that? lots of grit on the roads yesterday.. now blown away due to the high winds and traffic.

Its been 3 years

matt_outandabout

Part of me feels frustrated with the warnings – again, it feels that we are in danger of crying wolf too many times….

BUT

Having witnessed the poor driving and judgement of many over the last couple of days and a colleagues lack of awareness over the trains not running properly up north from here, it may be needed.

The problem being, do the numpties listen?

iainc

Northwind

Incidentally- there was no meaningful snow where I am, cm or so on pavements etc, roads fine- white at worst but easy driving. But I drove up the hill and holy ****, polished ice-encased deathsnow with just a little slush on top, some of the nastiest surfaces I’ve ever driven on. It can’t have been more than a cm or so but it was eeeeevil.

(which inevitably lead to an epic sliding session in the car park, until my car decided enough was enough and the ABS shat the bed because it couldn’t understand why the back wheels hadn’t turned for 5 minutes. Got to get me a rwd car even if I only drive it for an hour a year…)

Or, to put it more succinctly; just because you didn’t see any bad conditions doesn’t mean there’s none in your area.

br
    Free Member

Borders here, based on Met office warnings yesterday, Cooncil was well justified in taking the decisions that it did. Just turned out weather wasn’t as bad as forecast.

Wey on, you work for the council Frank. It was you wasn’t it who made the announcement, and now just trying to justify it? 😉

Although I still think it’s part of modern life that most folk are so closeted they just are losing the ability to think/act for themselves.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Snow warnings…’ is closed to new replies.